Samsung simply does not care...

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I wonder why Samsung is in such denial. They don't people tell them about product issues and terrible support.

From: http://forum.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=561480#post561480

Not denial, they just don't care. This is NOTHING new for them, just ask anyone who has had Windows Mobile in the past. They never updated those and when they did they did so months after everyone else. That wasn't as huge a deal with WinMo since it didn't have as fast an upgrade cycle but with Android it is downright criminal with two to three releases a year.

But they have this Amazing hardware and people like Phil who even though he went through the WinMo debacle thoight (and assured us) that things would change on the Galaxy S line; but low and behold it's 6 months later and the our Fascinates are still on 2.1 and the LG Ally, which he called "not a good entry level phone" a few podcasts ago now has 2.2. The amount of memory on the phone almost made it a device that should not be updated, but LG cared enough to give it to us (then VZW added their bloat but that is another discussion).

EDIT: Yes they never gave us a date but they said soon and soon is not in 6 months. Moto and HTC upgraded their handsets in under two months. Samsung should not be significantly different.

Then they talk about it in the podcasts last week and STILL defend Samsung, trying to blame it on the carriers of all things. Don't get me wrong I am well aware that carriers (especially VZW and ATT) drag their legs on approving updates (I come from Blackberry) BUT keep in mind the Galaxy X line was suppose to get Froyo last fall and even the original European GX didn't get it till a month or so ago. Cant blame that on VZW and AT&T.

EDIT: and for all those of you who swore VZW would not deploy BB6 till spring, we got it yesterday for the Bold and Curve.

I really really want a Galaxy Tab but given the upgrade issues and the fact that the Tab2 is on its way there is no way I will buy one, and I encourage everyone who has an original GS phone (whomever the carrier) to vote with their wallets and NOT buy any more Samsung phones until Samsung adopts the urgency of updating that Moto and HTC (and even LG) have. And perhaps just importantly for blogs like this one to STOP making excuses for them!

Ok rant over

Last edited:

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Yup they probably dont care, but ill tell you this much as soon as the sAMOLED tab is out, im getting it.

And as soon as the new 4.3" phone is out, im all over it.

the updates dont matter to me much. My DX had froyo and it still wasnt as good as my fascinate. If my phone couldnt do anything more then a dumb phone, then maybe i would stay up nights worrying if they care. But my phone is awsome like i said better then my DX with froyo.

Reactions: vluc

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Yup they probably dont care, but ill tell you this much as soon as the sAMOLED tab is out, im getting it.

the updates dont matter to me much. My DX had froyo and it still wasnt as good as my fascinate. If my phone couldnt do anything more then a dumb phone, then maybe i would stay up nights worrying if they care. But my phone is awsome like i said better then my DX with froyo.

what is it about the fascinate that you like better than the droid x. the guy i work with has a droid x and its SUPER slow, but its all junked up, so i cant tell if thats the phone or all the crap he has on it. dont get me wrong, im not concidering jumping ship, i mean the screen on the fascinate cant be beat, im just curious.

dante501

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I honestly had the same feeling. Everytime I go in to a verizon store try the droid x it is slow. My evo flys. Hmmm strange.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't trust the in-store models to give a decent experience of the phone because those are always loaded with task killers and a lot of other crap. What slows down the X is blur and bloat. Mine is stripped of those things, and it's really snappy.

vluc

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site

+1. Agreed.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Well first off like you said the screen blows the DX one out of the water. DX becomes so washed out and depressing after comparing it to the fascinate. Then there was the constant lag.that a rom fixed but still compared to the fascinate rom,d it still was not as smooth.picture quality was not as good. File transfer was faster but besides that I found myself using my fascinate full time, and had no need for the DX so I retired it.
what is it about the fascinate that you like better than the droid x. the guy i work with has a droid x and its SUPER slow, but its all junked up, so i cant tell if thats the phone or all the crap he has on it. dont get me wrong, im not concidering jumping ship, i mean the screen on the fascinate cant be beat, im just curious.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

vluc

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I have a fascinate, one of the doctors I work with has a Dx. he touts the camera and all the other various and sundry, yet when I let him play with my rooted, de-bloated phone, and watch fringe on it, he just shakes his head. Now he won't try to improve it by rooting or doing anything else, but he drank the Kool-aid and now has purple lips.

Sta11i0n

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
It's a perfect example of why bigger isn't always better. 8MP camera? Please. It's a cell phone. 8GB of RAM? Still slower. 4.3" screen? Still doesn't look as sharp/vibrant.

Yes, I'm annoyed with Sammy/VZ for the delays. But it's only a delay because they said we'd have it by now. If they kept their mouths shut and just worked on the update, people wouldn't be half as upset. That's just bad PR, not a bad product. I'll certainly buy more in the future. It's worth the wait in my book.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I just love my 8MP Blur camera! I love my Motorola Radio, and the sound quality on my X:) I love how root-able the X is as of late:) Gingerbread is coming with the latest OS enhancements, and having a phone by a company that listens to their customers is nice. More ROM is ALWAYS better. I will post a speed test on anything I run on my X against a fascinate any day of the week ha ha. Remember though, I am rooted with Apex, so I will win.

OP, I feel you. I like Samsung and had a fascinate for 28 days and got spooked as the bugs were never fixed in the time I had my phone.

The content of this thread seems to have turned so quick into a fascinate vs X thread (hmm, wonder how that started lol!) Fact is, it is a choice. I have owned both, and the X is far superior IMO, just because that tone was set in this thread.

Back on topic (sheez AC) Samsung does play the update game different. I have TVs by Sammy. It is a fair product, and I am open to them again. The difference in Sammy's updates vs the rest of the manufactures, is that Sammy considers OS updates like froyo (not a maintenance update) putting the burned of cost on the carrier. Moto HTC and most others consider major OS updates maintenance updates and absorb the cost.

That is what is going on, and this has been "Paul Harvey" like, and that is the rest of the story....lol!

Sammy has froyo, it is just a matter of cost. Some like 2.1 and are fine with that. I would recommend to a newbie reading these threads to absorb as much info as possible. As you can see, if having regular current OS updates "does matter" you may want to steer clear of Samsung mobile. They do have some nice screen tech though huh!

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I never meant this to turn into a DX bashing thing and I didnt claim DX was bad phone. And if you have read other posts I have written I admit if updates if what you need then look elsewhere. My original point was that I have had a phone with 2.2 and it isnt enough difference to want anything else.

I was asked why I switched over and I answered. And def speed tests will show DX is faster. But if I need to run a speed test to see the difference then it probably isnt a difference enough for me. Based on how I was using the phones,compared to each.other my experience with sammy vs all the other phones that I have experienced was alot smoother and more satisfying. And I am not going to boycott something I enjoy for something that I dont find to be a huge problem.

Now if you tell me children are getting sick in the streets or 2.1 is kicking puppies,then I see no need to deprive myself of sometging I want and enjoy.

And a final note. If I had to give up on sammy I would go back to a DX.
I just love my 8MP Blur camera! I love my Motorola Radio, and the sound quality on my X:) I love how root-able the X is as of late:) Gingerbread is coming with the latest OS enhancements, and having a phone by a company that listens to their customers is nice. More ROM is ALWAYS better. I will post a speed test on anything I run on my X against a fascinate any day of the week ha ha. Remember though, I am rooted with Apex, so I will win.

OP, I feel you. I like Samsung and had a fascinate for 28 days and got spooked as the bugs were never fixed in the time I had my phone.

The content of this thread seems to have turned so quick into a fascinate vs X thread (hmm, wonder how that started lol!) Fact is, it is a choice. I have owned both, and the X is far superior IMO, just because that tone was set in this thread.

Back on topic (sheez AC) Samsung does play the update game different. I have TVs by Sammy. It is a fair product, and I am open to them again. The difference in Sammy's updates vs the rest of the manufactures, is that Sammy considers OS updates like froyo (not a maintenance update) putting the burned of cost on the carrier. Moto HTC and most others consider major OS updates maintenance updates and absorb the cost.

That is what is going on, and this has been "Paul Harvey" like, and that is the rest of the story....lol!

Sammy has froyo, it is just a matter of cost. Some like 2.1 and are fine with that. I would recommend to a newbie reading these threads to absorb as much info as possible. As you can see, if having regular current OS updates "does matter" you may want to steer clear of Samsung mobile. They do have some nice screen tech though huh!

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I never meant this to turn into a DX bashing thing and I didnt claim DX was bad phone. And if you have read other posts I have written I admit if updates if what you need then look elsewhere. My original point was that I have had a phone with 2.2 and it isnt enough difference to want anything else.

I was asked why I switched over and I answered. And def speed tests will show DX is faster. But if I need to run a speed test to see the difference then it probably isnt a difference enough for me. Based on how I was using the phones,compared to each.other my experience with sammy vs all the other phones that I have experienced was alot smoother and more satisfying. And I am not going to boycott something I enjoy for something that I dont find to be a huge problem.

Now if you tell me children are getting sick in the streets or 2.1 is kicking puppies,then I see no need to deprive myself of sometging I want and enjoy.

what if 2.1 is punching kittens or kicking babies?

Clak

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I was actually kinda pissed when the Thunderbolt was announced, as that's basically what I wanted when I bought my Fascinate. I wanted a EVO like phone, but on Verizon. The Fascinate was really the closest thing at the time, in hindsight I wish I'd waited, but that's hindsight for you.

moonoverparma00

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I have the evo and my girlfriend has the epic and I think the epic is a pretty nice device. I'm a little nervous about getting 2.2 on the epic because of all the problems that could follow. Didn't the Droid x have a bunch of froyo problems? The epic runs pretty good with 2.1.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
All of you make some very valid points, as has everyone who has had a complaint with Samsung or Verizon regarding updates and their lack of communication, which is why that for the most part, I don't think twice about the complaints (as long as they are within reason). Everyone, and I mean everyone who owns a Galaxy S device has had the right to have quite a bit of frustration on the entire situation.

But here's my two cents: my phone, Froyo or no Froyo, bad communication or not, still flies for me, and that was without really having to do a whole lot to it. Yes, I removed bloatware, yes I rooted, but you're going to find bloatware on every Android phone (at least from Verizon). I'm satisfied to the extent that it does what it's supposed to do, when I want it to do it, and reliably so. I can depend on it to work every day all day long, and that's what matters most to me.

bobbyworld

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
If I want the latest Android release, I will try to purchase a phone with the Google sticker on the back..."Google blessed". Like the Nexus One or Nexus S. I would probably choose the Moto Xoom as a tablet over a Samsung Tab w/ Honeycomb installed.

I don't blame Google working so closely with their manufacturers and having an "approved/blessed" device. I also don't blame manufacturers that build use Android as their OS. That's the beauty of being "Open".

MegaSoundwave76

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Like I've said before, I can understand where some people's frustrations lie. Samsung did promise people that the Fascinate would have Froyo at some time. Maybe some people got the phone because of those statements. I remember when I went into Best Buy to upgrade from my Droid Eris and I played with the Droid X and the Fascinate. The X on display had 2.2 loaded up on it and the Fascinate, well, was the Fascinate. LOL. But going from a 2.1 phone to a 2.2 phone wasn't much of a difference for me. I tell you, the DX may have had that big screen and looked enticing, but the SAMOLED was just so great looking next to it. And with my prior experience rooting my Eris and doing some struff on it, I figured what the hay, the Fascinate would work for me. It's now rooted, de-Binged and running a custom launcher like Launcher Pro and DL09 has been working great for me. Couldn't be happier. I think it just depends on the perspective of the consumer. Average Joes don't look at the OS as being an issue. And besides, most of the Samsung statements about upgrading the OS isn't even make the mainstream news ever, so the average consumer wouldn't even know the difference. Heck, my buddy has a Droid Incredible and I know more about the phone than he does. I help him out when he wants the phone to do something specific. He's not a tech addict like I am or the average person that drops by Android Central.
If you can read, you can root, and you can modify your phone to your liking, and the Sammy pretty much lets me do it pretty easy (since the bootloader isn't locked like the Moto DX is). The Fascinate is a hell of a phone once you get past some of those issues. And by all accounts, if Samsung advertises a phone to have an important function (like the GPS issues on the Galaxy S line), then that's what I would be concerned about. And for the most part, they kept that promise (DL09 works great for me, and the GPS is just dead on).

Reactions: DerekCA

TenshiNo

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site

@DroidXcon The biggest thing, I think about getting the 2.2 update is that Google's come out with some really cool new Android features that are *only* available on 2.2.

I'm speaking, primarily, of the Voice Actions that were released back in September. I *love* the ability to be in the car, hit the search button and say "Send Text to <name> Be there in 15 minutes" and it does it all for me. I also using my phone for Pandora radio 80% of the time I'm in the car, since I have the bluetooth audio capable car stereo. It's great being able to hit that search button and say "Listen to the fray" and the phone launches Pandora to the right channel. None of the Galaxy S people (short of rooters) have the ability to use that app. It's one of a coolest apps (IMO) that Google has come up with to date.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781