1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Switching Gmail conversation view

I have the Samsung Fascinate from Verizon and I am trying to prevent phone from batching my emails that come in from same person or if i reply to an email and someone replies back it will all be under the same original email so i miss emails...I tried to change batch settings on gmail settings but didnt do anything different...help

Global Posts
    2,340 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

In GMail that is called a Conversation. You can't ungroup it. Think about if you had a bunch of replies back and forth with the same person, you would have a ton of items in your inbox instead of just 1.

Nevertheless, if you don't want to see the grouping, don't use the GMail app. Use the normal EMail app, or download a third party app like K9 or TouchDown.

I agree, that is the only thing that frustrates me with Gmail. I do a lot of emails back and forth with my business partners and it is really difficult to track the email the way Gmail does the grouping. They need to have a setting to show the last email first and just scroll down the list from newest to oldest.

I have used the stock email app, K9, Maildroid, etc., but they are not nearly as reliable as Gmail. Coming from a Blackberry, I have been frustrated taking sometimes up to 15-30 minutes to get an email even though it is set at the lowest setting of 1 minute or 5 minutes depending on the app. Gmail is the only one I have found that is reliable in getting emails quickly and is consistent. Am I the only one who has these issues with the stock email app?

Global Posts
    961 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10/Devil

No, the stock email app has been notorious for not polling certain servers as scheduled. Thus, why most people, including myself use a 3rd party app like K9. It has always been very reliable for me.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Default Gmail conversation

I am just confused...if BB can do it why cant Gmail ungroup those conversations...thank you for response and i guess i am not the only one with gmail issues
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

do you have road runner email
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Default yes

yes

Global Posts
    646 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dent1224 View Post
    I am just confused...if BB can do it why cant Gmail ungroup those conversations...thank you for response and i guess i am not the only one with gmail issues
    Not the only one at all. I absolutely hate how the gmail app groups e-mails. It makes absolutely no sense that a new e-mail comes in, and what gets displayed is the oldest e-mail I received from that person with that subject line.

Really unintuitive and it makes it really easy to miss e-mails. I also hate that there's no clear folder structure - inbox, outbox, deleted, drafts, etc. View labels? What does that mean? Why can't the app simply display the same folder structure that virtually every e-mail client on the planet displays.

I've gotten used to it, but I still very much preferred how e-mail worked on my iPhone. I've been surprised that Google, of all companies, has made e-mail so unintuitive... for me at least.

Default Re: Switching Gmail conversation view

Has there been any change to this? It irritates me, because my email will show that I have unread messages--but even when I open the thread that contains them, I either can't see any unread messages (or can't make it mark them as read).

I've tried the "Email App" and found it lacking also. I may have to try K9, but I'd prefer to use the GMail app, as it's designed by Google.

Would changing the view on the website affect this, by chance?

Have a great day
    Patrick.

Default Re: Switching Gmail conversation view

When using Gmail online via Chrome, you are able to go to settings and change "Conversation View" on or off. That is what is needed in the android Gmail app. I would love for this to happen.

It seems that to really take advantage of Gmail, one needs to use a pc and control behavior settings from the full online pc version of Gmail. The phone version gets the job done, but lacks the control options that are available to the pc accessible version online.