Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 52
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default OT: 100% of Fascinate Users Ignoring iPhone

    I saw a PC Magazine story this morning claiming 54% of current Verizon customers -- and 44% of Android users -- intend to switch to iPhone this week.

    That seemed high to me, so I conducted my own poll. Everyone I asked (n=1) said they intended to stay with Android -- and with the Fascinate -- until June 2012 when their 2-year commitment runs out. Then, they'll get another Android.

    Just a few more numbers to throw in to the mix. :-)
  2. #2  
    hillview's Avatar

    Posts
    128 Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now!

    Default

    I will get another android, but never another samsung product of any kind.
    Thanked by:
  3. #3  
    gunnermike53's Avatar

    Posts
    3,199 Posts
    ROM
    Gummy, AOKP

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kalnel View Post
    I saw a PC Magazine story this morning claiming 54% of current Verizon customers -- and 44% of Android users -- intend to switch to iPhone this week.

    That seemed high to me, so I conducted my own poll. Everyone I asked (n=1) said they intended to stay with Android -- and with the Fascinate -- until June 2012 when their 2-year commitment runs out. Then, they'll get another Android.

    Just a few more numbers to throw in to the mix. :-)
    steve jobs can suck it! i hope that whole evil elitest nazi peice of crap company goes bankrupt. i fail to see how people can use crap like that. i try, it just baffles me. apple products are overpriced, overated, underpowered, obsolete and just plain crap.

    not that i have an opinion.
  4. #4  
    shannonkish's Avatar

    Posts
    114 Posts
    Global Posts
    205 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cynogen Mod

    Default

    I don't even understand the hype of the iphone.

    Sent using Tapatalk
    Shannon Kish

    Android Convert from BB
  5. #5  
    UmyDinner's Avatar

    Posts
    9 Posts
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

    Default

    I have a Fascinate but when I had an iphone I found the community didn't trash talk the competition nearly as much as the android community does. Was this really worth a thread?

    Just food for thought :P
  6. #6  
    jpprice's Avatar

    Posts
    441 Posts
    Global Posts
    446 Global Posts

    Default

    Apple can keep their iPhone. I have used Apple products in the past like Macs and stand them and I own an iPod touch that I hardly ever use. I just don't understand the fascination with that overpriced, locked down piece of garbage.

    It's just my opinion of course and to each their own
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Relaxasaurus View Post
    I have a Fascinate but when I had an iphone I found the community didn't trash talk the competition nearly as much as the android community does. Was this really worth a thread?

    Just food for thought :P
    As the OP, I wasn't trash talking about Apple or the iPhone, I was mocking the overwrought hype that the media is pushing out about it. Does that merit a thread? Probably not, but some people enjoy a little humor.

    As for the Apple users not talking trash about the competition, well, of course they don't. Most of them aren't aware of anything going on outside the distortion field, so they don't know enough to talk about.

    ^^^^^^
    Yes, that was talking trash. A little. :-)
  8. #8  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hillview View Post
    I will get another android, but never another samsung product of any kind.
    I completely agree with you! I thought very high of samsung until I spent more than a few weeks with my Fascinate.

    There should not have to be tool developed by an external source called a LAGFIX to make your product work well.
  9. #9  
    gunnermike53's Avatar

    Posts
    3,199 Posts
    ROM
    Gummy, AOKP

    Default

    Just for the record, i WAS talking trash about apple.
  10. #10  
    Robo's Avatar

    Posts
    75 Posts
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts

    Default

    There are 2 apps that I would really like to have that ONLY the iphone has at this time. Iswing and makkamappa other than that I am overall happy with the fascinate. I haven't even activated my droid X other than to satisfy verizons needs
  11. #11  
    afbar1114's Avatar

    Posts
    449 Posts
    ROM
    froyo

    Default

    i think i will always be with andriod but my next phone will most deff have a front facing camera and be 4g.i think apples products are over priced and you pay for the name. watch they are gonna come out with a tv set and will have apple tv built in and that will be the ONLY way to watch movies because it will not have any video inputs because apple loves to lock down all thier machines so you only by thier products and btw the tv will cost like 5x the amount of normal tvs. this is just what i think
  12. #12  
    AsianGloBo's Avatar

    Posts
    23 Posts
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    ROM
    2.1 Superclean EB01

    Default

    I had the 2nd Gen iPhone a few years ago, and it was "cool" when it first came out, but the phone got boring and i wasnt satisfied with coverage. Now since i have been with verizon and introduced with Android, i love it. So much more customizable, and the iphone. The Fascinate just really does it for me. Nice slim design, android OS. vzw....i could care less about iphone now...and the iphone is truly overrated.
  13. #13  
    makav3ll1's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    226 Posts

    Default

    iPhone is definetly overrated. Your paying for the name, nothing else. All of there products are the same thing, one has a phone, one dont. There all over priced, and not worth the money.
  14. #14  
    Chris3D's Avatar

    Posts
    647 Posts
    Global Posts
    646 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Relaxasaurus View Post
    I have a Fascinate but when I had an iphone I found the community didn't trash talk the competition nearly as much as the android community does. Was this really worth a thread?

    Just food for thought :P
    I've seen ample trash talking about Android on the Apple side of the fence. As a previous iPhone owner, what's been most striking to me is the level of ignorance on the Apple side - they really have no clue as to the capabilities of Android, but that fact never seems to stop them from criticizing the platform.

    I've actually seen people claim not only that iOS supported multitasking before Android, but that Android, in fact, still can't multitask.

    I've seen people claim Apple was the first to allow folders on the home screen.

    I've seen people claim that Android specifically makes app piracy easy and accessible (ummm, iOS has Hackulous' Installer which is a repository and installer specifically for pirated apps).

    The list goes on. Their immediate response to anything Android can do is this "Apple either invented it, had it first or does it better". It gets tiring...

    I'll say, I loved my iPhone at first, and I still think iOS offers a more visually and tactily polished experience. It's smooth and looks really nice. The biggest turn-off for me was the oppressive control Apple insists on exerting over a product I purchased, own, even after the warranty has expired and any contractual obligations to AT&T were met. It borders on scary.

    The ease at which rooting was possible on the Fascinate, and the capabilities of Android in general, to me, far outweigh any minimal deficiency in UI design. I don't see that changing any time soon, if anything, Android will catch up in UI design leaving iOS with really no draw at all.

    I will say, I can admire Apple products from a design and engineering standpoint. I recently saw a friend's iPhone 4 and it really is a beautifully designed and very high quality piece of hardware. But for Pete's sake, it's still just a phone. I'd never trade my plasticy Fascinate for an iPhone, ever.
  15. #15  

    Default

    So I'll weigh in on the whole idea, first samsung, then apple.

    As far as samsung goes, I love my fascinate, and the improvements in just the LEAK of 2.2 tell me that the OTA 2.2 has reason to take a while. The upgrade to me in functionality, and UI are HUGE! I would like to have heard more about it, and seen it by now but I really feel that in a general way it's a massive improvement on something I really liked from the beginning. I think the file system is poorly chosen, but for the average user the space saving will over ride the file write times since most people don't load large amounts of data at once to their onboard memory like the root crowd does.

    The iPhone does several things well, that have large scale appeal to the novice smart phone user.
    -It's simple. There isn't a lot to mess with, and you can pick it up and just use it fairly easily. The average person (i work in the wireless business so I see it a lot) isn't capable of grasping android quickly. I know it sounds offensive but it's true. If you're here then you probably aren't part of this group.
    -It responds at the rate people want it to. The UI is stripped so bare that there is nothing to keep it from looking like lightning under glass, and that's very appealing.
    -Everything works properly. The strict rules applied to apps and design mean that most apps work better (on average) than android. You can't do nearly as much with it, but what you can do works well a majority of the time. There is no need to wade through bad apps to find the good ones, and we've all done it with our droids.

    For all the reasons mentioned above i'll never own an iPhone. They're more expensive (hardware, apps, everything), less personal, less powerful (price comparative), and requires me to drink the iKool-aid so that I won't notice the flaws or complain at the faults apple tells me don't exist.

    I would give my grandmother an iPhone and feel good about it. For me it's droid or nothing. In a lot of ways I wish android manufacturers would take a cue from apple and restrict/resist the bloat and invasion that comes with the droid phones from the carriers. I think with just the stock UI tweaks the droid phones are superior for the right user, but we shouldn't need to root just to get rid of excess software.
    Anything you can do iCandobetter

    If you're having kernel problems I feel bad for you son. I got 99 problems but a glitch ain't one!

    Don't be afraid to click the thanks button at the bottom of a post. It tells AC to put some skittles down the chute in our cage :-)

    S.E. W810i (ret) S.E. W850i (ret) S.E. w902 (ret) S.E. satio (r.i.p. software support) , samsung fascinate (ret), droid 3 (backup), droid razr(returned), gnex mike's Π
  16. #16  
    kenshell's Avatar

    Posts
    78 Posts
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts

    Default

    I'm happy with my SF as of right now. (on froyo)

    I will give them a shot next time around..If Verizon does not do the any2, I will not buy another phone unless mine is broke.
  17. #17  
    afbar1114's Avatar

    Posts
    449 Posts
    ROM
    froyo

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kenshell View Post
    I'm happy with my SF as of right now. (on froyo)

    I will give them a shot next time around..If Verizon does not do the any2, I will not buy another phone unless mine is broke.
    i agree but i dont want a 4g phone with a front facing camera but ill have too wait until next year to get it.
  18. #18  
    makav3ll1's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    226 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepdog Elite View Post
    So I'll weigh in on the whole idea, first samsung, then apple.

    As far as samsung goes, I love my fascinate, and the improvements in just the LEAK of 2.2 tell me that the OTA 2.2 has reason to take a while. The upgrade to me in functionality, and UI are HUGE! I would like to have heard more about it, and seen it by now but I really feel that in a general way it's a massive improvement on something I really liked from the beginning. I think the file system is poorly chosen, but for the average user the space saving will over ride the file write times since most people don't load large amounts of data at once to their onboard memory like the root crowd does.

    The iPhone does several things well, that have large scale appeal to the novice smart phone user.
    -It's simple. There isn't a lot to mess with, and you can pick it up and just use it fairly easily. The average person (i work in the wireless business so I see it a lot) isn't capable of grasping android quickly. I know it sounds offensive but it's true. If you're here then you probably aren't part of this group.
    -It responds at the rate people want it to. The UI is stripped so bare that there is nothing to keep it from looking like lightning under glass, and that's very appealing.
    -Everything works properly. The strict rules applied to apps and design mean that most apps work better (on average) than android. You can't do nearly as much with it, but what you can do works well a majority of the time. There is no need to wade through bad apps to find the good ones, and we've all done it with our droids.

    For all the reasons mentioned above i'll never own an iPhone. They're more expensive (hardware, apps, everything), less personal, less powerful (price comparative), and requires me to drink the iKool-aid so that I won't notice the flaws or complain at the faults apple tells me don't exist.

    I would give my grandmother an iPhone and feel good about it. For me it's droid or nothing. In a lot of ways I wish android manufacturers would take a cue from apple and restrict/resist the bloat and invasion that comes with the droid phones from the carriers. I think with just the stock UI tweaks the droid phones are superior for the right user, but we shouldn't need to root just to get rid of excess software.
    Hit the nail on the head.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris3D View Post
    I've seen ample trash talking about Android on the Apple side of the fence. As a previous iPhone owner, what's been most striking to me is the level of ignorance on the Apple side - they really have no clue as to the capabilities of Android, but that fact never seems to stop them from criticizing the platform.

    I've actually seen people claim not only that iOS supported multitasking before Android, but that Android, in fact, still can't multitask.

    I've seen people claim Apple was the first to allow folders on the home screen.

    I've seen people claim that Android specifically makes app piracy easy and accessible (ummm, iOS has Hackulous' Installer which is a repository and installer specifically for pirated apps).

    The list goes on. Their immediate response to anything Android can do is this "Apple either invented it, had it first or does it better". It gets tiring...
    .

    You are spot on. Back when the iPhone first came out, I had a Windows Mobile xv6700. I remember a friend who was a Mac guy raving about being able to play music, watch video, view maps, etc.. Despite my showing him otherwise, he would not believe that my Windows devices had been doing that for years.

    And, I don't mean he was like "Wow, I can't believe it!" He literally did not accept it and accused me of somehow using virtualization to simulate those effects.

    Flash forward to now, and another Apple fanboi friend. First, he told me that Apple's home screen was more pleasing to the eye. So I put an identical one on my Fascinate, even down to the precious little glass "tray" for the dock icons.

    Then, he tried the "Apple has more apps." So, I asked him what programs he was running and installed the exact same ones on my Android.

    Then, he complained that Android is too "fragmented." So, I pointed out that Apple has actually released more iterations and updates of iOS in the last three years than Google has for Android.

    Then, he said Google "collects too much information" about users. I noted that's easy to circumvent, since you can control the apps and you don't have to go through the Google store (unlike...)

    Then, it was my turn to point out that I can hold my phone any way I like, change the batteries, customize the OS, buy products without giving the phone manufacturer a cut, tether (with or without a plan), etc.

    I truly wish Apple well -- they make good products and they have pushed the market toward cool new things. But their users are insane -- it's like if you mated Amway salesmen with televangelists and feed them a lot of crack.
  20. #20  
    DroidXcon's Avatar

    Posts
    11,644 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

    Default

    Not only am i sticking with Android, im sticking with Samsung
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DroidXcon View Post
    Not only am i sticking with Android, im sticking with Samsung
    I agree with you. I'd like the updates to appear faster, but on the whole I'd say this is the best phone I've ever had. I like the styling, love the screen, have been very satisfied with the speed, etc.

    There's always room for improvement, but this is a damn good phone.
  22. #22  
    bubbadogg14's Avatar

    Posts
    131 Posts
    ROM
    Evil fasc. 3.4/ pbj sv v

    Default

    this magazine article means nothing... why does it mean nothing... my stats teacher would say that PC Mag did not take a random sample therefore this in no way reflects the estimated probability of ppl switching to the Iphone and in all likelihood these numbers are not real, they are prob numbers put together by apple to make it seem like more ppl are going to switch to the iphone... all in all this is just a marketing ploy be mr. jobs to make the iphone seem more enticing to the public as it appears to the public that even the android users want the iphone so bad... but in reality i would say most android users are going 2 stay on their androids....
  23. #23  

    Default

    Most people that just bought a fascinate are probably happy with their phone. Moving to a 3.5" screen phone isn't an upgrade. Android market us probably just as good as the itunes. Why would people jump now? If anything the crazy people jumping off the fascinate are going to the thunderbolt. HTC is a better phone manufacture than Samsung and Sense kicks touch wiz's ***.

    Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
  24. #24  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by voghan View Post
    Most people that just bought a fascinate are probably happy with their phone. Moving to a 3.5" screen phone isn't an upgrade. Android market us probably just as good as the itunes. Why would people jump now? If anything the crazy people jumping off the fascinate are going to the thunderbolt. HTC is a better phone manufacture than Samsung and Sense kicks touch wiz's ***.

    Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
    Just for the sake of counter point sense makes me go *meh*. Touch wiz is a generally more efficient design which I like a lot. I'd never use friend stream or profiles.
    Anything you can do iCandobetter

    If you're having kernel problems I feel bad for you son. I got 99 problems but a glitch ain't one!

    Don't be afraid to click the thanks button at the bottom of a post. It tells AC to put some skittles down the chute in our cage :-)

    S.E. W810i (ret) S.E. W850i (ret) S.E. w902 (ret) S.E. satio (r.i.p. software support) , samsung fascinate (ret), droid 3 (backup), droid razr(returned), gnex mike's Π
  25. #25  

    Default

    Do not want a iPhone but at this point could go back to BlackBerry of a real Storm 3 every shows up. I really enjoy this phone just miss some of the functions. Maybe when 2.2 shows out will change my mind. Going phone shopping tomorrow. I have a up grade on my account, I just might use it.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions