1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 7.1.0 / Glitch

Default Battery Charge Time

Ok - Some background -

This past weekend I flashed DL30, and I've tried the battery clear stats in clockwork. So I've been draining my battery throughout the day and then charging completely at night. Well - last night I decided to pay attention to the charging time, so I stayed awake for the end of it. Took right at 3 full hours 8:10 - 11:10 for a complete charge from my stock charger plugged into the wall. Is this normal at all? Seems super long! Any suggestions.

Oh - I wasn't on it at all why this happened either and nothing was running that I know of. I maybe sent 3 gvoice messages and received maybe 2 texts. I run Launcher pro. Thanks in advance.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    1,688 Global Posts
    ROM
    GummyCharge 1.9.1

3 hours for a full charge? Doesn't seem long to me at all

Global Posts
    4,142 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Sounds about right to me. Mine takes even longer if it's plugged into my car or something, but that's also because the car chargers are of a lower voltage.

New York Giants | New Jersey Devils | Colorado Avalanche | New York Knicks
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 7.1.0 / Glitch

Welp - got 2 replies saying the same thing - one from a moderator with the same phone, so I guess it's about right. Just don't get how much buddy's original Droid only took about an hour and a half to charge with the same size battery (and while he was on it)?
    rule the air.

Global Posts
    1,119 Global Posts

i let my battery run to 8% last night...it fully charged itself within 2 and a half hours

Global Posts
    4,142 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

It really just depends on the phones design as well. Motorola phones have always been known to charge quick, and that's because Motorola designs most of their phones to accept a higher voltage than others. The higher the voltage, the faster it charges.

ROM
    Gummy, AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Kerrigan View Post
    It really just depends on the phones design as well. Motorola phones have always been known to charge quick, and that's because Motorola designs most of their phones to accept a higher voltage than others. The higher the voltage, the faster it charges.
    dont mean to be argumentative, but its the amps not the volts. the higher the amps the faster the charge. just sayin, i should know i am the Brickmaster after all.

Global Posts
    757 Global Posts

Been there, measured that, roughly.

The power system on the Fascinate pulls about 650ma @ 5 volts from the power source. (About 350ma on a PC USB port).
    You can assume that the Fascinate system is pulled 50 to 100ma while suspended.
    So that leaves you roughly 575ma @ 5 volts, or roughly 2800milli-watts, for charging.
    The Fascinate battery is roughly a 6000mw/hour battery. So a dead battery will take a bit over 2 hours to fully charge. Add in the inefficiency of the circuits, and the facts that the charge gets tapered off when it is near full, and you are going to get very close to 3 hours. )And a lot longer on a PC USB port.)

BTW, that battery will last longer if you keep it closer to full.

Global Posts
    4,142 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by gunnermike53 View Post
    dont mean to be argumentative, but its the amps not the volts. the higher the amps the faster the charge. just sayin, i should know i am the Brickmaster after all.
    Sorry, you're correct. I confuse the two all the time

Voltage is the electric potential of something, amps is the electric flow/current. Sorry guys.

10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 7.1.0 / Glitch

Quote Originally Posted by worwig View Post
    Been there, measured that, roughly.

The power system on the Fascinate pulls about 650ma @ 5 volts from the power source. (About 350ma on a PC USB port).
    You can assume that the Fascinate system is pulled 50 to 100ma while suspended.
    So that leaves you roughly 575ma @ 5 volts, or roughly 2800milli-watts, for charging.
    The Fascinate battery is roughly a 6000mw/hour battery. So a dead battery will take a bit over 2 hours to fully charge. Add in the inefficiency of the circuits, and the facts that the charge gets tapered off when it is near full, and you are going to get very close to 3 hours. )And a lot longer on a PC USB port.)

BTW, that battery will last longer if you keep it closer to full.
    Last longer between charges (small picture) or last longer over the life of the battery (big picture)? And what's that statement based on? Sorry if it's a joke about the obvious, but I'd really like to treat my battery right so it lasts as long as it can throughout it's life. Thanks.

Global Posts
    757 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brettdacosta View Post
    Last longer between charges (small picture) or last longer over the life of the battery (big picture)? And what's that statement based on? Sorry if it's a joke about the obvious, but I'd really like to treat my battery right so it lasts as long as it can throughout it's life. Thanks.
    Many people tend to treat LiIon and LiPo batteries like NiCad batteries of years ago. NiCad had an issue that people called 'memory' (the wrong terminology, but that is what it was often called). This issue was mostly recovered by running the battery dead and recharging it.

This phone uses LiIon batteries, and should be kept charged. Running them dead simple accelerates plate wear and shortens their life. When you have a chance to charge it, charge it, and avoid deep discharges.

The exceptions are, avoid charging it when it is real hot. LiIon hates heat. And very occasionally deep discharging it may recalibrate the battery gauge.

Basically, keep it charged and avoid high temperature, and it will last longer and hold a charge longer.

ROM
    stock (rooted 4 wireless)

Default well then now i was wondering

short of rooting and d/l something like clockwork is there a way to recalibrate the battery / battery gauge in stock state? (other than a deep battery cycle)

thanks in advance

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts

I have a question regarding battery charging. it happened with dl30 and now with eb01. the battery meter does the charging animation until it hits 90% and then stops the animation, looking as if it is full and not plugged in but still charges to 100% and pops the battery full popup when its done. its strange...i have tried resetting the battery stats and going through that and i am stumped. any ideas?