Has anyone else's phone done this recently?

Drootz

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
So this has happened 3 times now. Strange issue and I want to see if it happened to anyone else....

Where my phone seems to put itself into some kind of Hybrid airplane mode because I still get cell radio bars and 3g and it shows airplane mode is OFF.

BUT....I can't seem to send or receive texts, voicemails, or even dial or receive calls.....Until after I power it off and then back on again....

All signs show it's working cell radio signal, 3g etc....

The problem is huge because I didn't know for a day and a half that it wasn't working until my wife came home from out of town and asked why I never returned her call or voicemail which didn't show till after the phone reboot...The strange part was that the cell radio appeared to be working the entire time (no circle with a slash).....very frustrating as i couldn't even tell I was even missing calls....

My phone has only done this since the EA28 update not sure if it's that but it has got to be related to something but I can't figure out what, which is why I come to you all for help.

I have stayed on the completely Stock OS from the beginning to EA28, Rooted it each time an update came out just to use titanium backup, running adw-ex.

Drootz

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
There is a thread related to modems/radios crashing - link

This may be related to this problem.

Thanks I will check it out. I did a search but maybe didn't use the correct keywords...

EDIT:
Checked that thread but everyone in that thread seems to be using froyo or some modified version of the OS. I have stayed completely stock the whole way since the phone came out, and didn't find any answers in the thread.

Last edited:

dark96

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Well I didn't have that exact problem, but what happened to me was that I went to 2.2 and when my phone rebooted, I noticed that it didn't have the 3g out even the 1x, but still has bars. So I went all the way to stock, and still same problem. I ended going to the verizon store, and it seemed something got messed up with their actual switch board and they just move my number to another phone and back. It's not completely like your issue but may be worth worth trying to activate another phone then back to the fascinate. Just an idea, and hope that helps.

Drootz

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Well I didn't have that exact problem, but what happened to me was that I went to 2.2 and when my phone rebooted, I noticed that it didn't have the 3g out even the 1x, but still has bars. So I went all the way to stock, and still same problem. I ended going to the verizon store, and it seemed something got messed up with their actual switch board and they just move my number to another phone and back. It's not completely like your issue but may be worth worth trying to activate another phone then back to the fascinate. Just an idea, and hope that helps.

Hopefully I won't have to go that route, but I will keep that in mind if no one else has any easier methods to try.....

Update:
So this P.O.S phone just did it again today....i have had cell signal and 3g just fine but now havent been able to make calls txts or anything since sometime after 4pm and I now just figured this out at a little before 6pm. Called vzw tech support they have no clue....ughhh I guess I will try a reset....then if that doesnt work time to read up on cwm and flashing roms....

dark96

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
i didnt actually have to reset, i just hadda move the number over to clear out their switchboard for my phone. but i dunno if that is the same problem you are having, but if ya have an old phone laying around its worth a try. just programming one phone then swap back to the fascinate. Hope ya get it working.

SoftWyer

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I used to have this problem with my HTC Desire running OS2.1 (fixed on OS2.2). For me it appeared to happen in areas of low signal strength. It's almost as if it tried to get a signal for a while then gave up, but all the other UI components continued to work fine and report the correct signal strength.

The best workaround I found was to switch it to airplane mode and back every now and again, it didn't seem to need a reboot.

RMThompson

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
My phone has done the SAME exact thing... and I am on an unrooted, completely Verizon with the most recent update. It only started doing this SINCE the update that fixed the E911 thing.

Usually what happens is I try to send a text message, and it fails. I try to resend, and nothing. Then, even though AIRPLANE MODE is off and I have 3G when I make a call it says "Cannot make a call when AIRPLANE mode is on" or something.

Then I reset and get a vnavigator.something error and I have to do a force close on it.

cordoni

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Verizon seems to keep breaking things with each update. After DL09 screwed my phone up, I took control and committed to rooting and flashing. I am running super clean 2.4 and could not be happier. It seems the devastate get much better stuff out that works than verizon does. Seriously consider flashing to zEB01 or super clean 2.4. You won't regret it.

Sent from my Froyo Fascinate using Tapatalk.

willenium_1217

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
It has happened randomly to me. But I think I have been able to send messages though. But it has been stuck on 1x or 2G. But what I have done without restarting is just flip Airplane mode on and off and it usually worked for me. I even do it now with the deodexed/debloated EB01.

Billvert

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
It happened to me when I first flashed dl09 My phone worked initially then some time the first night it stopped receiving any calls or SMS. I was surprised my GF had not called me all day. Turns out she called me about 8 times and the phone despite having good 3g and WIFI signals wasn't getting any SMS messages. I did a battery pull and have never had the problem again.