Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    527 Global Posts

Default unplug when fully charged? important?

Why is there a warning about the battery being fully charged?

I just went through that phone dialer script to turn off the warning, but is there anything wrong with just leaving the phone plugged in?

Kelton

ROM
    Infinity & Pool Party

Quote Originally Posted by kelton View Post
    Why is there a warning about the battery being fully charged?

I just went through that phone dialer script to turn off the warning, but is there anything wrong with just leaving the phone plugged in?

Kelton
    From what I have read, no. Nothing real wrong with leaving it plugged in. Apparently the battery will keep bouncing between 95% charge and 100% charge to prevent from overcharging.
    Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?

Sometimes you go to the circus...........Sometimes the circus comes to you.

Instructions on how to flash ROMs, Kernels, Patches, and Mods through clockworkmod recovery, CWM: DroidXcon's CWM Thread

If you add me on Google+, please list your AC username as a nickname so I know who you are.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    527 Global Posts

thanks!

I won't know if the "fully charged" pop up has been fixed for a bit, but glad that it is probably ok to just keep it plugged in.

Surely it is ok. I mean, that would be HORRIBLE to learn that you've got to leap out of bed and unplug a phone every night!

ROM
    Gummy, AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by kelton View Post
    thanks!

I won't know if the "fully charged" pop up has been fixed for a bit, but glad that it is probably ok to just keep it plugged in.

Surely it is ok. I mean, that would be HORRIBLE to learn that you've got to leap out of bed and unplug a phone every night!
    the battery pack is actually a little computer. if you overcharge or completely deplete a lithium battery it will die, like tu, croked, an ex-battery, with lovely plumeage, but dead. the battery will stop the charge at 100%.
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    527 Global Posts

I understand, but surely there is a mechanism (the computer/software) that manages the situation such that the battery does not get overcharged when plugged in.

ROM
    EB01 Deodexed...For Now!!

I believe what gunner is saying is that there is actually a small microchip in li ion batteries. That is my understanding anyway. Never researched it.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

ROM
    Infinity & Pool Party

Quote Originally Posted by tw105188 View Post
    I believe what gunner is saying is that there is actually a small microchip in li ion batteries. That is my understanding anyway. Never researched it.

That was my understanding. I read somewhere in these forums that the batteries have their own internal computer that regulates that. That is why if you leave the phone on the charger the battery will charge to 100%, then drain to 95%, charge to 100%, drain to 95% and continue that loop until you pull it off the charger.
    Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?

Instructions on how to flash ROMs, Kernels, Patches, and Mods through clockworkmod recovery, CWM: DroidXcon's CWM Thread

If you add me on Google+, please list your AC username as a nickname so I know who you are.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    527 Global Posts

Ah yes... sorry... I didn't read closely enough.

Kelton

ROM
    Gummy, AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
    That was my understanding. I read somewhere in these forums that the batteries have their own internal computer that regulates that. That is why if you leave the phone on the charger the battery will charge to 100%, then drain to 95%, charge to 100%, drain to 95% and continue that loop until you pull it off the charger.
    lol. you read that in my thread! yeah the battery pack is a little computer. the phone actually doesnt monitor the battery, it recieves info from the batteries computer.

ROM
    Infinity & Pool Party

Quote Originally Posted by gunnermike53 View Post
    lol. you read that in my thread! yeah the battery pack is a little computer. the phone actually doesnt monitor the battery, it recieves info from the batteries computer.
    I knew it had to be someone smart who posted that info.

ROM
    Gummy, AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
    I knew it had to be someone smart who posted that info.
    no sharkster, i said it was MY thread!!

lol.

ROM
    stock

I think my batterys little computer isn't working right I had my phone plugged in last night woke up today and it was stilled plugged in but was down to 89% so think something is wrong

Global Posts
    846 Global Posts

The phone limits the upper charge and prevents overcharge. Plus it shuts off on too low a charge.

The battery pack itself has protective components to keep it from overcharging AND being run too far down.

LiIon batteries are a serious fire hazard if over or under charged, so they use very good limiting cicuits to protect the battery.

The charge message, that must be manually dismissed, is a failure of the Samsung software people, IMHO.

That stupid little notice is telling you to not waste electricity just like on the droid X it says to unplug the charger from the wall.
    Anything you can do iCandobetter

If you're having kernel problems I feel bad for you son. I got 99 problems but a glitch ain't one!

Don't be afraid to click the thanks button at the bottom of a post. It tells AC to put some skittles down the chute in our cage :-)

S.E. W810i (ret) S.E. W850i (ret) S.E. w902 (ret) S.E. satio (r.i.p. software support) , samsung fascinate (ret), droid 3 (backup), droid razr(returned), gnex mike's Π

ROM
    Gummy, AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by tysdad08 View Post
    I think my batterys little computer isn't working right I had my phone plugged in last night woke up today and it was stilled plugged in but was down to 89% so think something is wrong

try the how to battery thing and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by gunnermike53 View Post
    the battery pack is actually a little computer. if you overcharge or completely deplete a lithium battery it will die, like tu, croked, an ex-battery, with lovely plumeage, but dead. the battery will stop the charge at 100%.
    Thanks for the Monty Python quote. That was great

ROM
    Gummy, AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by Proletariat View Post
    Thanks for the Monty Python quote. That was great
    lol. im glad you liked it. i wasnt sure if any one owas gonna get it.

Quote Originally Posted by tysdad08 View Post

Try switching to a different charger, or if you're plugging it in to your computer, a different usb cable. I'm on my second Fascinate thanks to a USB cable that went bad. I verified it was the USB when some of the same issues started happening on my warranty replacement. Thank goodness I really tested it before it did any permanent damage. After a while my phone would go into mass storage state when it was on a wall charger, or even not on anything at all. The battery indicator would state that it was full, when it was probably less than half full. When it was off, if I tried to turn it back on without it being connected to a power source (while it had a charge, mind you) it would display the charging screen for a few seconds when I had the power key pressed instead of actually turning on. So yeah... if you start to have charging issues, I would experiment with different chargers/USB cables.