Wireless N & Battery Life

ellisz

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
hmmm. I am having a similar issue but I think it is my phone. I recently upgraded to a Netgear N600 dual band and the SF is connecting to the 2.4ghz band and I use the same encryption method as you. I also have a Linksys WRT54g linked to the netgear via a firmware upgrade. I have not updated the netgear firmware as I read it was worse.

My battery has sucked since getting EB01. I noticed last night that my wifi was "running" 100% of the time. It is not going off. When I am out and there is no wireless, the phone gets warm and drains the battery fast. I currently have my wireless to go to sleep when the phone is off but I still had a pretty fast drain today. I was at 25% before by 1pm and I had no voice calls, no texts and maybe a few e-mails. No other activity except for about 10 minutes of web surfing. I pulled the phone off the charger at 7 am today too!

I would hate to think it was the router. Not sure how that is really possible...

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
hmmm. I am having a similar issue but I think it is my phone. I recently upgraded to a Netgear N600 dual band and the SF is connecting to the 2.4ghz band and I use the same encryption method as you. I also have a Linksys WRT54g linked to the netgear via a firmware upgrade. I have not updated the netgear firmware as I read it was worse.

My battery has sucked since getting EB01. I noticed last night that my wifi was "running" 100% of the time. It is not going off. When I am out and there is no wireless, the phone gets warm and drains the battery fast. I currently have my wireless to go to sleep when the phone is off but I still had a pretty fast drain today. I was at 25% before by 1pm and I had no voice calls, no texts and maybe a few e-mails. No other activity except for about 10 minutes of web surfing. I pulled the phone off the charger at 7 am today too!

I would hate to think it was the router. Not sure how that is really possible...

you would be amazed at the stupid crap routers can cause. have you tried reflashing a kernel?

dkoss

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site

I am running stock EB01 I have been home all day and have had WiFi turned on all day. Almost 90% battery. Go to your settings<about phone<battery use and see what it is showing

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Might I add also, prior to this I've *never* had battery issues on my Fascinate. I've always been able to get a solid 18 or so hours out of it before getting down to 10% or less life remaining.

ellisz

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
I am not aware of a kernel to flash. I have flashed the SC 2.4 multiple times. I removed my theme, reset bat stats, wipe cache, wipe dalvik, etc. I have not tried the permissions fix. I had the issue on voodoo and non-voodoo. I am currently nv. I wish we would get the kernel source so I could play with some modded kernels.

ellisz

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
I am running stock EB01 I have been home all day and have had WiFi turned on all day. Almost 90% battery. Go to your settings<about phone<battery use and see what it is showing

spare parts actually has wifi running at .1%. Seems to be working since I last charged - few hours ago. According to about phone, 76% is my display. I have auto brightness off and I have it turned down to the 1/4 mark.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Okay, update on this. Spent all night screwing around with things and monitoring battery life, seems to be nothing has any real positive effect on performance unless I turn off N. The moment I either turn off N or switch back to a G only router, bam, it's like magic.

Unfortunately that completely defeats the purpose of it. =\

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Okay, update on this. Spent all night screwing around with things and monitoring battery life, seems to be nothing has any real positive effect on performance unless I turn off N. The moment I either turn off N or switch back to a G only router, bam, it's like magic.

just so we are clear, you are turning the n off at the router, correct.

dkoss

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site

Yeah that kind of goes with some of the research I did last night. Unfortunately I couldn't find anything Android specific I did find one about Pre that showed a lot of people having problems with Netgear and DLink (seemed somewhat model specific) routers having a lot of drain on battery life. If you know anyone with a Linksys N you might try that and see if it works.

BTW what's the set up on your phone. Could also look into kernel conflict.

ellisz

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
So having N turned on is draining the battery on the phone even though it can't connect to that band? This makes no sense.

I will try it this weekend myself.

dkoss

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
So having N turned on is draining the battery on the phone even though it can't connect to that band? This makes no sense.

I will try it this weekend myself.

The phone can connect to an N router. It cannot utilize the 5ghz bandwidth which gives the N the maximum speeds. It only connects to the 2.4ghz bandwidth.

ellisz

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
The phone can connect to an N router. It cannot utilize the 5ghz bandwidth which gives the N the maximum speeds. It only connects to the 2.4ghz bandwidth.

The router I have has dual bands and I have 2 separate SSID's. The only things that see the 5ghz band is the devices with N cards in them. The rest, including the SF see the 2.4 ghz band. I mistakenly thought that N was 5ghz and G was 2.4ghz. I was mistaken ... oops.

So we are saying that forcing the router into a G mode only is helping with the battery life on the phone? I can turn the 5ghz radio off but that appears to be it. I don't see the option to select what mode to look for. I know my old Linksys with Tomato on it had that option.

Sheepdog Elite

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
So i'll throw in my pennies here. I'm hearing the samsung is N capable, but not N compatible? If that's the problem, then it makes good sense that the phone is constantly pumping away at that N connection, but can't get hooked up. Instead of making the connection, then just moving data it's sending the handshake non-stop all the time without being able to get positive contact. If that's the case then the only fix is to kill the N connection. I'll also throw in that unless you're bruce wayne an N router is pointless for internet use, since your modem probably can't even get 2% of that connection potential. Sorry if this isn't helpful but I wanna play geek too. :confused:

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Set up on the phone is DL30, with the DL09 radio. Was actually at a friends house earlier, he had a Linksys N Router, and I was noticing the same amount of drain on his router as well, so I don't think it's just router related (in terms of brand or set-up).

@Sheepdog...I've heard this to an extent as well, but it should be able to connect and maintain a solid connection just fine at the 2.4 Ghz band. I event went as far as blocking the 5 Ghz frequency, which again seemed to have zero effect.

Glen Starrett

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I know this thread is a bit old here, but were you ever able to resolve the issue?

I notice the same problem with my phone (an HTC Inspire 4G) that when I'm connected to my "G" hub the battery will last a couple days, but when I'm on my newer "N" router it only lasts half a day. I resorted to just leaving my "G" router on and active, acting as a sub-hub and connecting to my "N" router as if it was the internet connection. That worked great for awhile, but now I want to use a Google ChromeCast and the ChromeCast doesn't work across a router (tried DMZ, uPNP, etc. but that's off topic for this thread).

Any help is appreciated!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles