Networking Fascinate

sushiguy732

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Can anyone provide me guidance on how to network my Fascinate with my other computers in my house?

Ideally I would like to be able to:
1. connect to them when I am home and withing range of my network
2. connect to them when I am out of range, like at work

Any takers? :)

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Can anyone provide me guidance on how to network my Fascinate with my other computers in my house?

i have not yet done this but i know there are apps on the market that will let you do that.

Reactions: sushiguy732

Drootz

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site

I connected my phone to my home network and I can do part 1 of what you want. But as for part 2 I am no help.

First part is easy if you are using windows media player (newest version),
you just connect to your wifi network on your phone and then after you connect to wifi
then open Windows media player
Now click the Allshare app on your phone
Now in windows media player go to the library tab you will see a more options link click that
then click on the library tab in the options
You will see configure sharing click it
you should now see a device listed under sharing settings and it asking if you want to share with this device. I believe it will list your phones mac address for the device click OK or accept
then just configuring what media sharing you would like (music, photo's, or Video) and you should be good to go.

If you have more than one computer I would imagine you need to enable sharing in the windows media player on Each Computer to make it work on all of them.

I wanted to be able to send music, videos, and photo's from my pc to my phone and that's how I did it and it works great but only when i am on my home wifi network.

Now if you learn how to do step 2 please let me know. ;)
As I would love to be able to connect to and stream my music from home to my phone while I am at work too. :cool:

Hope this helps you out.

Reactions: sushiguy732

sushiguy732

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I'll have to upgrade to the newest version first. I was more interested in all my files and not just my media. thanks for the reply.

carguy37757

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
I have all of my files on 2 external hard drives connected to my media center PC on my wireless network. The way I did mine was on the PC, created another user account with a password that had full access to all files I wanted to share and shared out the specific directories just like you would when sharing files between other computers on the network.

On my phone, I downloaded ES File Explorer. It has a LAN option which when you connect to your wireless network on your phone, you can choose LAN, and log in using the new user account you created to access your files.

It could be that it's a horrible way to do this, and I'm sure there's a much simpler way, but I used this one because I can use that account for sharing between other PC's and devices if need be.

Hope this helps.

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
One good way I found is a program called Tonido. It runs as an app on your PC, checks in with the Tonido server, and your phone can "dial in" to the PC running that app from anywhere, on local wifi or via 3g or other wifi. The android app only works for pulling files from the PC down to the phone, but at that it is great (connections are negotiated instantly and automatically). If you need to push files back up to the PC, the best way I have found is using Astro file manager with the SMB plugin, and setting up a SMB login (windows file sharing) to your pc. It will only work on the local wifi but its fast and efficient.

Chris3D

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Another option is CIFS Manager (free on the market). It lets you mount network CIFS (Samba) shares directly on the phone. Once mounted, you can browse any file on the share, copy files to and from the phone, stream media (audio/video) from the share, etc. If your computers are set up to share this way (Samba), it's an easy way to go.

For accessing files when away from the house, you should be able to set up your router with port-forwarding, so any incoming connections on a particular port are forwarded to a specific computer. This works better if you have your desired files located on a single network share so you don't have to worry about trying to forward to multiple computers.

One complication with accessing files when away from the house is the need for a static IP address (every time your router restarts, you'll be assigned a new IP address), or some way to continually update your current IP address.

I built and set up a small file/internet/print server using an Asus EeeBox PC (basically an Intel Atom based netbook without the screen). I put Ubuntu on it and have it periodically ping a page on my web site which runs a CGI script which logs the incoming IP address and writes out a standard HTML redirect page with that IP address. When I access that redirect page, I'm redirected to a file manager running on a small web server (Cherokee) running on my little EeeBox. It took a lot of fiddling to set up, but it works great. I can leave one tiny computer running all the time and have access to my files at home or on the road. I have several prnters hooked up to it as well, which it shares for all the other computers in the house.

Yea, I'm a nerd... If you need help setting stuff like this up, let me know.

motoprof

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I use a free app called Webkey that has some cool features. It all started when Verizon screwed up the sd mounting on my Mac. I can use webkey to view files, download them, and delete them. It also ties in with Google maps so I can see where my phone is on the map. It has other features that I cannot remember and is a pretty cool app that needs no software that is downloaded to your pc. You are given a URL, use your password, and then you are in. Oh yeah, you can also control your phone remotely. Even wipe it if it were to fall into "enemy hands".

Reactions: curley1441

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
Another option is CIFS Manager (free on the market). It lets you mount network CIFS (Samba) shares directly on the phone. Once mounted, you can browse any file on the share, copy files to and from the phone, stream media (audio/video) from the share, etc. If your computers are set up to share this way (Samba), it's an easy way to go.

For accessing files when away from the house, you should be able to set up your router with port-forwarding, so any incoming connections on a particular port are forwarded to a specific computer. This works better if you have your desired files located on a single network share so you don't have to worry about trying to forward to multiple computers.

One complication with accessing files when away from the house is the need for a static IP address (every time your router restarts, you'll be assigned a new IP address), or some way to continually update your current IP address.

I built and set up a small file/internet/print server using an Asus EeeBox PC (basically an Intel Atom based netbook without the screen). I put Ubuntu on it and have it periodically ping a page on my web site which runs a CGI script which logs the incoming IP address and writes out a standard HTML redirect page with that IP address. When I access that redirect page, I'm redirected to a file manager running on a small web server (Cherokee) running on my little EeeBox. It took a lot of fiddling to set up, but it works great. I can leave one tiny computer running all the time and have access to my files at home or on the road. I have several prnters hooked up to it as well, which it shares for all the other computers in the house.

Yea, I'm a nerd... If you need help setting stuff like this up, let me know.

I know this is a resurrect but I wanted to point out the need for EXTREME CAUTION when attempting to do this (port forwarding SMB through your firewall to a windows PC.) If you don't properly restrict access on the target PC, there can and very likely will be GRAVE CONSEQUENCES including but not limited to having all your personal information stolen off of the computer, having the computer and all others inside your firewall infected with viruses, and having all the data on your LAN deleted without warning. If you are unfamiliar with access control in windows, please DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!

Chris3D

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I know this is a resurrect but I wanted to point out the need for EXTREME CAUTION when attempting to do this (port forwarding SMB through your firewall to a windows PC.)

Yea, I actually don't forward any SMB connections, only HTTP to a web server running a small file manager with read-only permissions (running on Linux). And I don't keep anything of any personal nature on the computer visible to the outside world. And, to top it all off, I don't have a fixed IP address, so that's always changing too. I'm sure it's not bulletproof, but it's good enough for the nature of the files potentially visible. But yea, I wouldn't even think to make a similar connection to a Windows system, I at least know that much!

djlim4

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
ok joebob... you've officially got me a little shook...
ChrisDDD sounds like he's pretty experienced so I'm sure he's taken the proper precautions when setting all that up.
I'm purely an amateur and in the process of hacking my PS3 over the weekend, I successfully set up an FTP client (i know, most of my friends laughed at me, but it was a big deal for me)
Anyway, I'm using Filezilla on my computer and SwifTP app for my phone, it was pretty easy to set up... should I have taken more precaution and let someone know what they're doing set this up? or is this pretty safe and straight forward?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae