Anyone left a Droid X for a Fascinate?

melissasroja

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Yes I know its been asked on the Droid X board which they prefer but I want opinions from people who actually left the X for the Fascinate. While I love my X it seems so thick and bulky. Any opinons? Thanks.

Melissa

Dragonblade

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I switched from a droid X to a facinate... While i loved the Typing space. and the sturdiness feel of it. the quality of the screen just left so much to be desired.
the X was my first Android phone as well, and the moto blur interface didnt really click with me. the camera was also, at least in my mind not that good, pictures looked bleh.... could be a combo of the screen as well btw.

My Friend showed me his Vibrant and i loved the way it looked and felt, Yes its a lot lighter, almost toyish. but i found that the cover gave it the right weight and felt for me. so i took the X back and Got the Fascinate.
I know some ppl just hate TW. but i like it, i dont use it all the time, but i think for someone just starting to learn android its a great way to start.

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Yes! I had the X since its release day. I liked the Droid X, did what it should. However the fascinate just does all that but better.
Comparing the two:
1. The X is much slower than the fascinate. The apps that run or w/e is irrelevant. If you factory reset both phones the fascinate will be much faster.
2. Camera - the camera on the X is nothing compared to most other phones. It advertises 8 mp, but the quality is of no comparison to the fascinate (the droid incredible still has the best camera).
3. Soft touch buttons to me are much better. The hard buttons tend to wear and wiggle too much for my liking.
4. Size - The X is indeed bulky. Pick up the fascinate and you will be blown away, at least I was.
5. Battery life on the fascinate is up to par - that is the stock battery. The X did have an advantage here but only because I had the moto extended battery.
6. Touchwiz >>>> Motoblur
7. Fascinate, because of its GPU capabilities, shows everything with smoother motions.
8. Finally, the screen is just so sexy.

Edit: I know some complain about Touchwiz, but I like it. I LOVE the pull down controls and the media player is really nice.

chaddymoff

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
Hey, Melissa. No regrets here. Just a couple things that really stand out:
- The screen -- I have looked back now at friends' who still use the X and can't believe I used that. The Fascinate screen is amazing.

- The weight & size -- not much to say. I always found myself pulling the X out of my pocket every opportunity. Not the case with the Fascinate.

- Camera -- I am a numbers "bigger and better" person, but the 5MP of the Fascinate has easily outdone the 8MP of the X.

- I use a lot of internet radio and also Rhapsody playing from SD Card. It "seems" like both run smoother with fewer hiccups. Oh, and bluetooth connecting to headset and car are quicker and more consistent. The Bluetooth is actually also Stereo!

Hope that helps.

melissasroja

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the replies! The screen from what I can tell does seem much nicer. I also have a Galaxy Tab and Im loving it. It really made me wonder what else Samsung has to offer. One major issue with the X is Im a woman. My butt isnt big enough (or maybe its too big?) for it to fit in my back pocket! lol. Im constantly having to keep it in my coat pocket and worry about it falling out while Im shuffling 3 kids around. I havent decided yet but I might give it a shot!

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Fascinate

Melissa,

I am a woman too. I got my Fascinate about a month ago and I love it! I can't compare it to the X, but I looked at it in the store and didn't like the size and shape of it compared to the Fascinate. I think you will like the Fascinate!

Robin

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Yeah i had a DX hence the name, i love my fascinate much more. But i think i chimed in on your other thread so i wont get into again lol

rustypixel

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I've been a X owner since Sept 2010 and while I have no complaints about the phone, the vibrate feature did crap out on me last week which caused me to look elsewhere for another phone as I depend on vibrate a lot. I got my hands on a Fascinate and I will say that I originally knew the screen was better than the X, but I agree with all other posts here that the Fascinate is definitely snappier and the scrolling is smoother than the X. I'm very happy with the battery life and LOVE that bright screen.
There's nothing wrong with the X and had the vibrate not crapped out I would have not looked elsewhere till the new 4G phones came out. But I'm happy with the F and it will hold me over for the next few months until the new phones come out. Either way, you can't go wrong.

Good luck!

melissasroja

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Well I went with my gutt and ordered today. It was like 4:25pm lol so I just barely got shipping for tomorrow. Im excited!

Rusty its interesting you mention the vibrate thing. My X Ive noticed over the past maybe month has been not ringing a lot and kicking over to vibrate. I would say its about 35% of my calls dont ring. When they do ring a lot of times its only the default ring and not the custom rings per person. Not super bad but annoying.

Either way Im excited to get the new phone. And if I hate it Ill still have the X which I wouldnt be heartbroken to go back to. Hopefully this will be a nice change though!

Thanks for the info and advice everyone!

skategeezer

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Former Droid X owner

I went from the Droid X to the SF because the graphics are sharper and the audio is better on the SF. Also the frame rate on the SF is better in the games.

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
New Fascinate

Melissa,

Congratulations! I don't think you will be sorry. I love my Fascinate! Now the only bad thing, having made your decision, is waiting for it to arrive (grin).

Robin

RMThompson

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I am glad this thread was made. With the FROYO debacle with the Fascinate, I was beginning to wonder if I made the wrong choice, when I passed up the X for the F...

Seems I did the right thing, or at least the equivalent thing.

melissasroja

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Ive been debating the FROYO deal too. Yeah I know there is a way to put it on and Im all for patching and all that but I dont know if Im brave enough to put it on myself. I need to look into it more. Anyone want to come hold my hand while I do it? lol. I never rooted before but I patched the crap out of my Pre and Pixi+ just to get them workable. Definitely will be doing some reading on this issue today. Im still trying to decide if Im going to hate bing enough to try taking it off and putting google on!

rustypixel

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
It's interesting to note, but I have spoken to quite a few reps at VZN and a few other X owners and no one has ever heard of an issue with the vibrate feature just quitting. Either way, you will be happy with the F and if you get a chance to play wiht them side by side like I did, you'll notice a snappier response on the F than the X. Again, nothing wrong wiht the X, I loved it while I had it and I would have zero issues going back. I hope you enjoy the Fascinate.

Rusty its interesting you mention the vibrate thing. My X Ive noticed over the past maybe month has been not ringing a lot and kicking over to vibrate. I would say its about 35% of my calls dont ring. When they do ring a lot of times its only the default ring and not the custom rings per person. Not super bad but annoying.

JeremytheIndian

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Ive been debating the FROYO deal too. Yeah I know there is a way to put it on and Im all for patching and all that but I dont know if Im brave enough to put it on myself. I need to look into it more. Anyone want to come hold my hand while I do it? lol. I never rooted before but I patched the crap out of my Pre and Pixi+ just to get them workable. Definitely will be doing some reading on this issue today. Im still trying to decide if Im going to hate bing enough to try taking it off and putting google on!

It's super easy no need to be afraid. Follow the instructions here and here and ask any questions you have. The guys here in the Fascinate forums are awesome are crazy helpful.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
It's super easy no need to be afraid. Follow the instructions here and here and ask any questions you have. The guys here in the Fascinate forums are awesome are crazy helpful.

+1...totally agree..if you can get our froyo leak on, which is very easy, its pre rooted and you can install all kinds of cool themes and fonts...just makes the phone into a completely new experience

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress