Super AMOLED

ChaoSki

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I think one of the nicest things about our phones is the Screen. It was a HUGE selling point on my end. It simply looks amazing. I don't think I've seen any phone that had a nicer looking screen.

Does anything else comes even close? I noticed HTC AMOLED screens are pretty nice, but not quite as nice as Samsungs.

Also are there any other technologies on the horizon that can improve on this (not exactly sure how that would be possible).

This screen simply blows away anything you might put it next too.

Also wondering about this technology being applied to PC monitors etc.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I think one of the nicest things about our phones is the Screen. It was a HUGE selling point on my end. It simply looks amazing. I don't think I've seen any phone that had a nicer looking screen.

Does anything else comes even close? I noticed HTC AMOLED screens are pretty nice, but not quite as nice as Samsungs.

Also are there any other technologies on the horizon that can improve on this (not exactly sure how that would be possible).

This screen simply blows away anything you might put it next too.

Also wondering about this technology being applied to PC monitors etc.

I actually work on a team that develops the molecules and the structure for this technology.

we are improving it everyday, these screens are not even matured so you will see alot better quality coming out over the next two years.

Future applications of the technology will be TV's , Lighting, flexible screens that you can wear, windows that can be tv's or light panels etc...

there are a couple of prototype laptops with OLED screens that are transparent .
check out this thread with some examples of the use of this technology
http://forum.androidcentral.com/oth...54344-amoleds-foleds-toleds-woleds-oh-my.html

Reactions: Naris

Braydon525

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I actually work on a team that develops the molecules and the structure for this technology.

we are improving it everyday, these screens are not even matured so you will see alot better quality coming out over the next two years.

So envious... Little off topic, but what type of engineering field would your job be classified under?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
So envious... Little off topic, but what type of engineering field would your job be classified under?

Im just a test technician , i have no formal training. i am the only one on the team without a degree,, everyone around me either has a chemistry degree/ physics/ or quantum physics degree.

jnewell

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
Interestingly, and probably controversially, I've been comparing videos playback on my Fascinate to the same videos on my old 2nd Gen iPod Touch. The color rendition on the Touch is hands-down better. The colors on the AMOLED screen are way over-saturated. I'm trying to tweak that, but I haven't had any luck yet.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Interestingly, and probably controversially, I've been comparing videos playback on my Fascinate to the same videos on my old 2nd Gen iPod Touch. The color rendition on the Touch is hands-down better. The colors on the AMOLED screen are way over-saturated. I'm trying to tweak that, but I haven't had any luck yet.

well it was purposefully made over saturated. so if you were looking for acurate color maybe touch is better,...i think samsung was going for the pop on top of the contrast ratio

its not that OLEDs cant achieve the colors you want, we can achieve any color, just happens that this is what they wanted, for wow factor.

Last edited:

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I bought into the Fascinate mainly because of the screen (and the fact that the Incredible has a smaller battery).
I use my often clipped to the handlebar on my motorcycle as a GPS. It turns out that it sucks for that. It looks awesome indoors, but outdoors it isn't bright enough. And the current consumption is through the roof at high brightness. Plugged into a charger, it takes so much power, it actually is draining the battery while plugged in.
So it is nice to show off indoors, but less functional then I hoped for.
And oddly, when watching videos, the contrast is a bit too high. I need to turn the screen intensity to max just to see the dark areas of the video.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I bought into the Fascinate mainly because of the screen (and the fact that the Incredible has a smaller battery).
I use my often clipped to the handlebar on my motorcycle as a GPS. It turns out that it sucks for that. It looks awesome indoors, but outdoors it isn't bright enough. And the current consumption is through the roof at high brightness. Plugged into a charger, it takes so much power, it actually is draining the battery while plugged in.
So it is nice to show off indoors, but less functional then I hoped for.
And oddly, when watching videos, the contrast is a bit too high. I need to turn the screen intensity to max just to see the dark areas of the video.

again, you are using the technology in its infancy improvements will come as time goes on ..trust me it has TONS of more potentional then what you are seeing,,, remember how LCD screens finally ended up become SLCD (retna screen but that took how many years) same thing with OLEDs in comparison we are just at the start

bluevolume

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
again, you are using the technology in its infancy improvements will come as time goes on ..trust me it has TONS of more potentional then what you are seeing,,, remember how LCD screens finally ended up become SLCD (retna screen but that took how many years) same thing with OLEDs in comparison we are just at the start

Its quite ironic how its in is infancy (which I do agree with), when I was working with OLED displays 20 years ago at Kodak Park.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Its quite ironic how its in is infancy (which I do agree with), when I was working with OLED displays 20 years ago at Kodak Park.

yeah but back then you were probably using fluorescent materials, life time and efficiency had to be dismal... huge gains have only recently come to pass , that make it possible to dow what we can now.

bluevolume

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
We only had a couple of them in the research labs, and you had to only have it on as long as absolutely necessary. Actually marking down how long it was on each time, down to the second. They did end up releasing a P&S digital camera that had an OLED review screen, but it wasn't available in the states.

Just like most every other amazing technology that was born at Kodak, they needed to sell it off to another company to mature it into a marketable product.

jnewell

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
That's an interesting and fair point. When you look at consumer and even pro digital cameras, you see default settings over-saturated and optional settings for even greater saturation. You have to poke around to find "neutral" settings (I shoot raw and calibrate monitors and printers...)

Thanks
John

well it was purposefully made over saturated. so if you were looking for acurate color maybe touch is better,...i think samsung was going for the pop on top of the contrast ratio

its not that OLEDs cant achieve the colors you want, we can achieve any color, just happens that this is what they wanted, for wow factor.

epik151

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
The Sony Vaio Z screen went for over-saturation wow factor as well and I still think it looks great after 2-3 years.

The fascinate screen is very nice and I agree it's definitely one of the major selling points.