The weirdest SMS glitch I've ever seen.

stilltipin87

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
My cousin also has a Fascinate. She's been experiencing the strangest SMS glitch. Even the reps at Best Buy and the Verizon store were stumped. It's also not the actual phone because she has already returned it 3 different times. When she uses the standard stock SMS it's all screwy. It's hard to explain, but say in her list of chats it'll show me, but when she clicks it it shows someone elses name and number, so the texts she thinks she's sending to me are going to a totally different person she didn't even want. God I hope that makes sense lol. She's been using Go SMS for a while now, and hasn't experienced it since. Has anyone ever heard of this happening, and perhaps a way to fix it?

Chris3D

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I seem to recall this being acknowledged as a known bug. And yea, it would be worrying, although I've personally not had it happen, and I do a fair amount of texting between family and friends.

Last edited:

psycho_maniac

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
this is a known bug, this happens when you tap on a contacts sms when the sms app is still loading, happens a lot when i was running froyo, but i noticed its fixed in gingerbread :)

sparesr4sissies

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I had a similar problem with wrong names showing up in the notification bar when I receive a text. After opening the message, names/numbers would be correct. This usually happened after my phone had been running for 24+ hours. Usually a reboot would take care of the problem. I haven't noticed any problems like this since going to 2.2.

Sheepdog Elite

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Had the same problem for a while. Flashed a new ROM and it was all better. It was just a ghost though, all of my texts were going to the right place, but the notifications and what not originally appeared with the wrong name like the post above me said.

fascinatej

Banned
Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Mines the opposite, not when I'm sending but receiving. It will say a somebody I don't usually text, but when I click on it, it's the right person. Scares me because it's the one person I make fun of at work all the time

jampot

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Mines the opposite, not when I'm sending but receiving. It will say a somebody I don't usually text, but when I click on it, it's the right person. Scares me because it's the one person I make fun of at work all the time
Ha! Maybe the good Lord is trying to teach you a lesson? :)

This never happened to me and I text more than anyone I know... weird!

Sheepdog Elite

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

Ya, it happened in the conversations list, and with new incoming. It didn't send anything to anyone other than what is said in the text to box. It's a phantom, but it was really annoying.

JoeUserTX

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm using the stock SMS app, and occasionally sending replies to a thread end up going to someone else. Bug in the program, for sure.

I've developed the habit of looking at the header at the top of the screen to ensure that any replies are truly going to the right person (has caused some embarrassment a few times when I've rapidly replied without verifying!)...

As mentioned, rebooting usually clears up this aberration, but it's annoying.