Juice Defender/AutoKiller... thoughts?

JOrtenzi

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
So from what I have read concerning battery life, Juice Defender and AutoKiller are the way to go??

Just looking for opinions, thoughts and benefits of these apps before I install them.

Also, I have uninstalled ATK, apparently app killers do more harm than good?

Any thoughts or advice appreciated!

Thanks!

JOrtenzi

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
very new to andriod gunnermike (newly rooted, learning about flashing/roms/kernels etc...) so I am really looking for advice. This forum seems to be full of great advice and ideas

Sheepdog Elite

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Here's what I tell my customers. Yes, I sell phones.

ATK and all related "Task killers" are like dropping a nuke on your operating system. It levels everything. It also destroys the little ecosystem of apps on your device. Most of the apps that pop up in the background are there because they're needed for something. Load a new song and all the media programs on your device stick their little heads up and go "Hey, do I need this? yes/no" Then go back to sleep. The fact that they are open in your memory doesn't mean they are running, consuming resources, or anything else. Android will clear memory as needed. It takes no more energy to run occupied memory than it does with unoccupied memory from what I understand. Task killers should only be used very sparingly, on active apps you are done with. There are no "task killers" built with this idea in mind. If you want the ability to see what's using your system resources use watchdog task manager lite. It will show you what is using resources, how much, and alert you if something is in run away mode.

Problems I have directly verified being caused by ATK and similar apps include, but are not limited to: Broken bluetooth, not getting mail, camera not working AT ALL, widgets failing to update, alarm clocks failing, calendar events not saving, or alerting, poor battery life, text messages not arriving or being sent, and various app specific failures and freak outs.

Juice Defender is a nice idea. It does disable certain things that will consume your batter, and has the potential to save you battery life without causing harm to your system for the most part. I have had people report things like email not showing up for LONG periods of time, and widget updates being broken.

I advise flashing a super clean rom, or debloating the one you have for best success with improving battery life. Beyond that, check your battery usage under settings and see if you have any culprits.

Reactions: Landshark

JOrtenzi

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Here's what I tell my customers. Yes, I sell phones.

ATK and all related "Task killers" are like dropping a nuke on your operating system. It levels everything. It also destroys the little ecosystem of apps on your device. Most of the apps that pop up in the background are there because they're needed for something. Load a new song and all the media programs on your device stick their little heads up and go "Hey, do I need this? yes/no" Then go back to sleep. The fact that they are open in your memory doesn't mean they are running, consuming resources, or anything else. Android will clear memory as needed. It takes no more energy to run occupied memory than it does with unoccupied memory from what I understand. Task killers should only be used very sparingly, on active apps you are done with. There are no "task killers" built with this idea in mind. If you want the ability to see what's using your system resources use watchdog task manager lite. It will show you what is using resources, how much, and alert you if something is in run away mode.

Problems I have directly verified being caused by ATK and similar apps include, but are not limited to: Broken bluetooth, not getting mail, camera not working AT ALL, widgets failing to update, alarm clocks failing, calendar events not saving, or alerting, poor battery life, text messages not arriving or being sent, and various app specific failures and freak outs.

Juice Defender is a nice idea. It does disable certain things that will consume your batter, and has the potential to save you battery life without causing harm to your system for the most part. I have had people report things like email not showing up for LONG periods of time, and widget updates being broken.

I advise flashing a super clean rom, or debloating the one you have for best success with improving battery life. Beyond that, check your battery usage under settings and see if you have any culprits.

Thanks for all that info...

I am running 2.6sc with EB01 kernel... and I did uninstall ATK, as I was hearing the same types of things you mentioned.

However, I heard that AutoKiller is not a task killer, it manages how your battery is used? Which is why I have seen people prefer that as to a task killer.

Do you know anything about that? Thanks!

Sheepdog Elite

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all that info...

I am running 2.6sc with EB01 kernel... and I did uninstall ATK, as I was hearing the same types of things you mentioned.

However, I heard that AutoKiller is not a task killer, it manages how your battery is used? Which is why I have seen people prefer that as to a task killer.

Do you know anything about that? Thanks!

Haven't tried autokiller, but it's got my interest piqued.

jack22182

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
So from what I have read concerning battery life, Juice Defender and AutoKiller are the way to go??

Just looking for opinions, thoughts and benefits of these apps before I install them.

Also, I have uninstalled ATK, apparently app killers do more harm than good?

Any thoughts or advice appreciated!

Thanks!

I'm a big fan of Juice Defender. Before I started using it I was getting 7-8 hours out of a charge. With it enabled I'm seeing 14-15 hours typically. This phone is a battery hog, and of course YMMV. It will slow down your emails (that's one of the things it regulates) but it's never caused any "no emails" issues for me.

I bought the paid version - I like the extra features it provides.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Autokiller is and isn't a task killer it simply changes the way your phone handles memory it ranges anywhere from stock to just about kill everything. It was great for my d1 but the fascinate I don't think it's needed. But give it a try if start with a moderate setting and I saw no battery life benefit in running it

NOsquid

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I don't see as much benefit with Autokiller on Froyo, 2.2 is pretty aggressive with background tasks on its own...annoying at times.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
That is true I miss getting update notifications the only time I see them now is when I open market. And that's without any task manager/memory manager

crump84

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I don't use Autokiller but Juice Defender is nice.. I just have it set to kill data while my phone is in standby. I still pulls background data every 15 minutes but I can tell the difference in battery life.