Won't buy future Galaxy S because Fascinate doesn't have Froyo?

kb31550

May 11, 2010
Visit site
about this phone. It has been a decent phone and a nice upgrade from my OG Droid, but I'm a little bitter that that old device is on 2.2 and even getting some 2.3 love. Is anyone here going to buy another Samsung Galaxy S phone after this one ? I'm definatly not going to due to the lack of updates. Droid Bionic here I come !! Opinions ?

sparesr4sissies

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I'll probably buy one. Even without the updates from Verizon, I've been able to get updates here to keep it up to par with the other phones. The actual hardware IMO is better with this phone than phones that are out from other manufacturers. I love the Super AMOLED screen and I'm excited to see how they improve on this.

mouser991

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I'll probably buy one. Even without the updates from Verizon, I've been able to get updates here to keep it up to par with the other phones. The actual hardware IMO is better with this phone than phones that are out from other manufacturers. I love the Super AMOLED screen and I'm excited to see how they improve on this.

+1, although I haven't flashed Froyo yet. This has been a far superior phone to any that I have ever had ( 3 BB's ). I have not had any of the motorola droid phones, but I absolutely love this phones screen am content running EA28 rooted right now. Everything works on the phone and I get 25 to 30 hours use before recharging. Once I get more comfortable with flashing I will update to one of the SC Froyo builds. This forum contains an absolutely amazing amount of information and there are numerous members out there willing to help!

Dsat1908

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
+2 - I gave up waiting for the "official update" so I updated my Fascinate to 2.2 a few weeks ago. Running great, working great but I too am disappointed in SAMSUNG for their lag time in keeping this phone updated. Will I buy another next April when my two years are up? Not sure but I will give them a fair shot when I compare what is available at the time.

Sta11i0n

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I've said it before and I will again. Hardware should always be your deciding factor. Software can always be added/changed/customized, but you're always going to be stuck with the hardware you select. Would more efficient support be nice? Absolutely. But when it's not I have no issue taking matters into my own hands. Especially when we have such an amazing group of developers doing a lot of the nitty gritty work for our community. I have always loved Samsung devices. Every TV/display in my home is from them and I plan on keeping my brand loyalty. In my opinion, their display technology is unparalleled in quality, and my phone is no exception.

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I am samsunged out. I cann ot believe they said the Telus 4G would come out with 2.2 and have 2.3 by the end of the year.....where have I heard that before.....

ls5012

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
No Froyo Gripes with Fascinate.

I agree that the phone is fine. But due to Samsung's lack of upgrade support, I will NEVER buy another Samsung. Out of frustration, yesterday, I was able to speak an actual higher up at verizon. He has the power to give me a different phone even if im not due for an uprade. I told him my phone was freezing up and complained about the lack of froyo update. After some disussion he told me that he would authorize trading my fascinate with the HTC thunderbolt if I was willing to wait. He agreed that being that samsung not upragding their most expensive phone( at the time) was a good reason to be unhappy!
So I gather that Verizon doesn't see an update coming for the phone!!!

cl36

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
i liked my phone the first 2 months that had it. i have loved it since i joined android central. the fascinate forum is outstanding. everyone here is polite and willing to help make your phone great.

after having the super amoled display, i dont think i could go without it. i think i will eventually upgrade to a super amoled plus device.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I've said it before and I will again. Hardware should always be your deciding factor. Software can always be added/changed/customized, but you're always going to be stuck with the hardware you select. Would more efficient support be nice? Absolutely. But when it's not I have no issue taking matters into my own hands. Especially when we have such an amazing group of developers doing a lot of the nitty gritty work for our community. I have always loved Samsung devices. Every TV/display in my home is from them and I plan on keeping my brand loyalty. In my opinion, their display technology is unparalleled in quality, and my phone is no exception.

Exactly the reason I bought my Galaxy S. I'm not skilled enough to upgrade my phone's hardware, but I have no problem loading custom ROMs.

Chris3D

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm kinda torn. I've come to love the size, the screen and the overall hardware. The phone does absolutely everything I want it to do and more - it's superior to my previous iPhone in almost every conceivable way. On the other hand, the abysmal support from Samsung/Verizon is troubling, and the weak antenae/signal strength is really annoying.

We recently picked up a referb for my wife, mainly because I knew I could load it up with 2.2 and had all the tools handy - Odin, Clockwork, a multitude of roms, etc. And also, there still isn't anything that tops it right now - I refuse to pay for a 4G phone and higher rates for 4G service when there's no 4G coverage anywhere I'm likely to be.

But when it comes time to replace these, I have to say the likelihood I'd replace it with another Samsung phone is currently hovering right around zero percent. Even if the hardware is great and I'm able to run the latest version of Android, I'd have a hard time rewarding a company who's demonstrated such lousy official support with my repeat business.

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I tested the phone and bought it because the hardware and version 2.1 did what I wanted.
This brings back memories of the Samsung WinMo device I had years ago. The hardware was fine, but Samsung software qwerks were a bit much. Just like on the Fascinate. The battery charged message pops up and you have to dismiss it manually. What the heck are they thinking (or not thinking). When my phone had 2.1, it would beep when I would lose service, and beep when service would be restored. No setting to disable that. Where I work, I spend time going in and out of and RF sealed chamber. All day long, BEEp, BEEP, BEEP. Annoying. Who is the idiot in charge of that software glitch.
And even the hardware has oddities. This 1500MaHr battery is unique to this device. Other Samsung 1500MaHr batteries give that 'unknown battery' error.

I won't say 'never', but these little things add up, and I will remember them for a few years. In the mean time, I still believe this is one of the top devices out there. I don't think I will be running for any other device for a good while yet.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
My next Samsung is already as good as bought, i dont care about rewarding or not rewarding a company based on support. They are going to be around with or without my purchase, so why should I not to get the type of device I want just to make myself believe that i made a difference by not purchasing their product.

If i need support ill support myself.

NOsquid

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Hell yes, the GS2 is seksi!

Seriously, I don't care about brands, I'll get whatever phone I think is best. Hardware> software for me. And it has to be Verizon of course.

jpprice

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm not going to rule it out. Whenever its time for upgrade I will look at all my options including Samsung and then decide. Hardware is my big concern. I could really care less about software since I will probably end up putting a custom ROM on it anyway. I loved my Fascinate when I bought it and love it even more now that its on Froyo with a custom ROM.

jnewell

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
Actually, I don't blame Samsung, I blame VZW, which has burned me before with lack of support for hardware. When this contract is up, I'm finished with VZW.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I bought my fascinate as a stop gap between my OG Droid and the new LTE phones. After dealing with the lack of support and still managing to get Froyo(EB01), and for the most part debing my phone, I could give a crap about Verizon and their inability to commission good software. I will buy the hardware I want and work around the rest. So far Samsung has been the best in the hardware department and I love my Fascinate. So unless they drop a real stinker in the LTE phone category, I'm leaning towards giving them my future business. However I would love to know how mouser991 get's 25 hours out of his/her battery.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Software is an afterthought to me. I bought my Fascinate because it looks stunning, the screen is stunning, and it runs great with the stock software. Granted I have had the phone now 2 weeks and I probably root and upgrade to Froyo soon but after using this phone stock for a while... what is the big concern?? This actually can be proven by what BlackBerry did to their Tour/Bold on Verizon. They finally after a LONG time released OS 6. Only problem is EVERYONE that I know downgraded back to OS 5 because it made the phone slower except for web browsing. Looking at that I can only hope that Samsung/Verizon are avoiding that issue by trying to make the OS stable and best it can be on this phone.

jackmei2

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I will probably still consider a samsung in the future, but will obviously keep this update issue in mind and I'm sure it will be a huge factor. While many of you are right, hardware > software... we are still reliant on samsung to release source code or get leaks. JT and PK are working on other roms not based on samsung source code and as you can see, it's not an easy thing to do.

cgaines2101

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I have no true issue with Samsung products. I own several now and that includes the Samsung Fascinate now for several months. Based on my use of my last BB smartphone, I can say I am very pleased with this device. The hardware is great. The design is perfect for me. The camera is far advanced in comparison to my other BB. Not to mention when I download apps, I can actually do it rather quickly which was an issue on my old device. You know, I hear allot about Samsungs lack of support in many areas on many of the products they offer. Funny thing to me is that the products I have purchased with Samsungs name don't require my need to allot of extra support. The products I have purchase work right and like they were advertised so it kind of eliminates all the finger pointing for me. The one time I needed help, I got it. So although we do not have the latest SOFTWARE in comparison to other models, I bought the phone based on the hardware. The software I am running is fine and from what I understand there is not enough difference between 2.1 and 2.2 to notice nor warrant all the complaining I read on so many posts.

RodoBabbins

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I agree, the hardware on this phone is really freaking great. The screen alone is perfect, everything seems to pop at you lol. Even stock with 2.1 it moves quite nicely and touchwiz isn't all that bad. As for me I'll be upgrading to whatever great Samsung phone coming down the pipe.