Installing to New Swype Beta

FrankWhite77

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Is there a way to have the new beta replace the stock swype that is on this phone? Is there a way to update the swype that is already there? The new update seems to fix everything that was bugging me about it. WANT!

Reactions: Suicide Shift

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
To get the new beta, you need to completely remove the version you have first, which means you need to be rooted. A root file explorer can be used to delete the swype.apk abd the lib files associated with it. There is a thread on XDA about the exact files (there may be one here as well, can't recall). You will also need to sign up for the beta on their website, which will allow you to download the latest beta

Reactions: Suicide Shift

FrankWhite77

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
So say someone was against rooting, the swype on their new phone will never be updated again? Or that happens when something like 2.2 comes along?

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
So say someone was against rooting, the swype on their new phone will never be updated again? Or that happens when something like 2.2 comes along?

The updated swype is still a beta version, which means it is still in testing and hasn't been released officially. If you want to use the newest beta, which happens to be the second beta version (I use the first) you have to be rooted so you can delete the current version because the beta will not replace the current official version. If you are not rooted you will have to wait for the official version to be released which will download and replace the last version. It is kind of like what we are all going through with Froyo right now. No official release, but a leaked version. If you are rooted you can be on Froyo. If you are not rooted, you have to wait for the official version to be released.

RMThompson

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I think I broke Swype

OK, so I saw the post about new Swype, skimmed over it, and saw the link to download it. (NOT realizing you had to have beta access to use it.)

Since I WASNT allowed to use the software, it tried to overlay over my current Swype, and now my Swype is SERIOUSLY messed up (even though Ive deleted the download beta)

When I type in letters, it used to show up what I was typing, now however I have to finish the word and press the space button to show anything. It's REALLY annoying and I had to switch to the lamer-Android keyboard.

DOes anyone have a fix?

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
The only way to uninstall your current version is to be rooted. If you are, you can use a file explorer (such as Root Explorer or Astro) and delete the swype.apk in the /system/app folder. You will also have to delete the corresponding lib files (use the search function within the file explorer). Once you have done this you can sign up for the beta and then download the latest version

Edit: The three files you need to delete are /system/app/swype.apk, /data/data/com.swype.android.inputmethod, and /system/lib/libswypecore.so

Last edited:
Reactions: Landshark

NOsquid

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
There's also a 3rd file in data/data that you should erase, called swype.inputmethod something or other. And reboot before installing the beta

Reactions: Landshark

sparesr4sissies

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
OK, so I saw the post about new Swype, skimmed over it, and saw the link to download it. (NOT realizing you had to have beta access to use it.)

Since I WASNT allowed to use the software, it tried to overlay over my current Swype, and now my Swype is SERIOUSLY messed up (even though Ive deleted the download beta)

When I type in letters, it used to show up what I was typing, now however I have to finish the word and press the space button to show anything. It's REALLY annoying and I had to switch to the lamer-Android keyboard.

DOes anyone have a fix?

In order to use the swype beta, all you have to do is register on their website.

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
There's also a 3rd file in data/data that you should erase, called swype.inputmethod something or other. And reboot before installing the beta

Thanks so much Nosquid. This made all the difference in the world. Swype downloaded fine but I just couldn't get it to install. I knew about deleting the lib and apk folders. As soon as I deleted the data/swype.inputmethod folder - BAM! Installed in about 5 seconds and is working great.

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
YW...it can be frustrating for sure

Unbelievably frustrating. I was trying everything up to and including standing on my head or getting into an awkward yoga position while holding an old set of rabbit ears thinking maybe bad reception was causing a bad or incomplete download :D

dhend25

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Swype beta install on Nexus s 2.3.1

Not to hijack this thread, but on a related question, I just purchased a Nexus S that came stock with version 2.3.1. I do not have any versions of "Swype" on my phone. What would keep me from installing the beta version?

Also, my phone is Not rooted.

Any advice or comment would be appreciated!

thanks in advance for any replies.

DH
USA

dhend25

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Just sign up for the beta and download it.

Thanks "NOsquid" for your kind reply.

So as I understand it, there is really no problem downloading this "Swype" beta version as long as you don't have any previous versions of "Swype" already installed on your phone. Have I stated this correctly?

Thanks,

DH

NOsquid

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I can't tell you from personal experience, but I don't see why there would be a problem. Swype is just an app like any other.

vi3tboiii54

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
If you have problems installing the swype beta package even after deleting all the previous swype data/app, reboot your phone. Works for me every time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol