Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Townie33's Avatar

    Posts
    23 Posts
    ROM
    Still Learning

    Default Since Samsung WON'T fix the Mac sync problem

    I was tired of talking with Verizon's "tier two" tech support on the phone. I was tired of hearing there is "nothing we can do from our end" from Samsung. I GREATLY APPRECIATE the workaround I found in these forums. BUT, it is still a major pain in my technical backside. And of course I had to reset my phone!

    Anyway, I fianlly go into my local Verizon store and explain my dilema. I get the "you need to install the Samsung drivers to your Mac" story. After a brief exchange Mr. Verizon checks out a couple of things on his Verizon-type computer and realizes there is nothing he/Verizon/Samsung can do for me or my phone. I was PROMISED that this phone would work with my MAC. But it won't.

    He puts me on the phone in the store with a "higher up" who offers me an iPhone since it is comparable and his sincerest apologies. This tech is a MAC user and understands my frustrations. He, of course, must clear this with his supervisor.

    I have had my phone since the first of the year. I have enjoyed it. I am not that tech savvy. The most exciting thing I have done with it is used Launcher Pro to change it just a touch. I think I have one game app, twitter, one IM app. I like the Dolphin browser app. I really like MixZing for music, but then again downloading music is such a pain.

    I have been so frustrated by the inability to not easilty access photos, music, videos, etc.

    Thoughts.
    If Patience is a virtue, I would love to meet HER!
  2. #2  
    NickA's Avatar

    Posts
    1,507 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,572 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    Weird that they offered the iPhone. Why not the Droid X, or the Continuum? Maybe because you are a Mac user they figure you would want the iPhone.

    You could always take the iPhone, sell it on eBay (still going for 400 - 500 bucks, more if brand new) and purchase a slightly used Droid X.

    Or keep complaining and see if you can get a Thunderbolt out of it.

    Either way, I think it's good that they are at least willing to offer you something.
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    Townie33's Avatar

    Posts
    23 Posts
    ROM
    Still Learning

    Default

    I honestly don't know anything about those phones. I do know how easy it would be to sync the iPhone with my computer. I don't know how good a phone it is.

    Droid users love their droids and most dislike the iPhone for varying reasons. I personally just want to be able to go back and forth from my phone with my computer without complication. As is I am unable to do that.

    For simplicity sake I am sure I would enjoy having the iPhone. Llike I said before, I enjoy my Fascinate. But not being able to SYNC is a huge drawback.
    If Patience is a virtue, I would love to meet HER!
  4. #4  
    NickA's Avatar

    Posts
    1,507 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,572 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    Syncing an iPhone with a Mac or a PC is easy with iTunes. It not only syncs app, music, video, etc., it also backs up your phone. So in the event something happens, it's really easy to restore your phone and it's like nothing ever happened.

    As far as the phone quality? The OS is stable and just works. I've never had issues hardware related with mine. But it's not my everyday phone like the Fascinate is; I only use it for development.

    I think if the iPhone meets all your needs, then I say go for it. Especially if you don't like to "play" with the phone as far as customizations, rooting, ROMs and stuff like that.

    In the end, iPhone, Android or even Windows Phone 7, it all comes down to what features work best for you.
  5. #5  
    Kevin Gossett's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    1,692 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,691 Global Posts
    ROM
    GummyCharge 1.9.1

    Default

    Have you tried any of the fixes offered in this thread?
    Thanked by:
  6. #6  

    Default

    By "sync" do you mean connect your phone via USB to your Mac in Mass Storage Mode? If so you can use the micro-SD card adapter that came with your phone to directly connect it.
    Thanked by:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  
    Townie33's Avatar

    Posts
    23 Posts
    ROM
    Still Learning

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Gossett View Post
    Have you tried any of the fixes offered in this thread?
    Definitely! These forums are great. With that being said, that "fix" is rather time consuming and doesn't always work.



    Quote Originally Posted by ragnarokx View Post
    By "sync" do you mean connect your phone via USB to your Mac in Mass Storage Mode? If so you can use the micro-SD card adapter that came with your phone to directly connect it.
    I did purchase the adapter. After a while it was getting rather tedius to constantly take my phone apart, take out the card, insert the card into the adapter, insert the adapter, etc. I missed the days when I could just plug in my phone.
    If Patience is a virtue, I would love to meet HER!
  8. #8  
    Landshark's Avatar

    Posts
    4,422 Posts
    ROM
    Infinity & Pool Party

    Default

    Just a quick question and thought here. I am not as tech savvy as a lot of the other members here, so I'm looking at this from that perspective and trying to search for a solution from a different view point. If the Samsung Fascinate will sync with any other kind of computer, could it be more of an issue of the mac not syncing or not allowing the SF to sync? Do your friends have other kinds of phones besides the Fascinate you can try syncing with your mac? If those phones won't sync either that would kind of indicate to me it is actually the mac that has the problem, and perhaps you can address your concerns with Apple to find a solution. Just seems syncing a phone and a computer is a two way street and both the computer and phone would have to recognize each other and accept the sync. Why limit your options to being locked into one thing or one side of it to find a solution? I think it's always better to have options and not be locked into one thing.
    Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?

    Sometimes you go to the circus...........Sometimes the circus comes to you.

    Instructions on how to flash ROMs, Kernels, Patches, and Mods through clockworkmod recovery, CWM: DroidXcon's CWM Thread

    If you add me on Google+, please list your AC username as a nickname so I know who you are.
    Thanked by:
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  
    Townie33's Avatar

    Posts
    23 Posts
    ROM
    Still Learning

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
    Just a quick question and thought here. I am not as tech savvy as a lot of the other members here, so I'm looking at this from that perspective and trying to search for a solution from a different view point. If the Samsung Fascinate will sync with any other kind of computer, could it be more of an issue of the mac not syncing or not allowing the SF to sync? Do your friends have other kinds of phones besides the Fascinate you can try syncing with your mac? If those phones won't sync either that would kind of indicate to me it is actually the mac that has the problem, and perhaps you can address your concerns with Apple to find a solution. Just seems syncing a phone and a computer is a two way street and both the computer and phone would have to recognize each other and accept the sync. Why limit your options to being locked into one thing or one side of it to find a solution? I think it's always better to have options and not be locked into one thing.
    Great points!

    BUT, I won't give up the MAC. And at this stage the only option they have offered is the iPhone.

    The extremely frustrating part is that when I purchased the phone it would actually sync with the Mac without a glitch. It was a simple plug and go. But after a couple of software updates in Jan/Feb Samsung has admitted their error and say they have no solution in the near future.
    If Patience is a virtue, I would love to meet HER!
  10. #10  
    SCXR's Avatar

    Posts
    53 Posts
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts

    Default

    I recently sold my Fascinate and purchased a used Incredible. I loved the Fascinate hardware but got tired of the lack of support. I don't want to root my phones so for me that's not an option.

    The iPhone 4 is a great phone and very simple to use. I think you'll be happy with it.
    Thanked by:
  11. #11  
    Landshark's Avatar

    Posts
    4,422 Posts
    ROM
    Infinity & Pool Party

    Default

    Every friend of mine who has an iPhone says the exact same thing - Great computer, terrible phone.
    Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?

    Sometimes you go to the circus...........Sometimes the circus comes to you.

    Instructions on how to flash ROMs, Kernels, Patches, and Mods through clockworkmod recovery, CWM: DroidXcon's CWM Thread

    If you add me on Google+, please list your AC username as a nickname so I know who you are.
  12. #12  
    Kevin Gossett's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    1,692 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,691 Global Posts
    ROM
    GummyCharge 1.9.1

    Default

    What confuses me is there is no rhyme or reason to it. I have a Mac and my Fascinate as well as my wife's have no issues connecting. Even the DL09/EA28 updates didn't affect my ability to sync.

    Are you using the stock cable that came with the phone? And are you using a USB port directly on the computer or are you using a hub?
    Thanked by:
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  
    Townie33's Avatar

    Posts
    23 Posts
    ROM
    Still Learning

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Gossett View Post
    What confuses me is there is no rhyme or reason to it. I have a Mac and my Fascinate as well as my wife's have no issues connecting. Even the DL09/EA28 updates didn't affect my ability to sync.

    Are you using the stock cable that came with the phone? And are you using a USB port directly on the computer or are you using a hub?
    That is incredible! Yes, I am using the cable which came with the phone. Sir, are you a magician?
    If Patience is a virtue, I would love to meet HER!
  14. #14  
    DroidXcon's Avatar

    Posts
    11,644 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

    Default

    I think i heard/read that a third party powered USB hub may help the problem, sorry if its been mentioned
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
    Thanked by:
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  
    Townie33's Avatar

    Posts
    23 Posts
    ROM
    Still Learning

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DroidXcon View Post
    I think i heard/read that a third party powered USB hub may help the problem, sorry if its been mentioned
    I readily admit I am NOT tech savvy, but HOW can a different USB cable make a difference?
    If Patience is a virtue, I would love to meet HER!
  16. #16  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Townie33 View Post
    I readily admit I am NOT tech savvy, but HOW can a different USB cable make a difference?
    Doesn't matter, because it's not the USB. I use the OEM USB and hasn't worked since the update
  17. #17  
    DroidXcon's Avatar

    Posts
    11,644 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Townie33 View Post
    I readily admit I am NOT tech savvy, but HOW can a different USB cable make a difference?
    i wasnt talking about the cable i was talking about a powered USB hub for example
    Gear Head 4-port USB 2.0 Powered Hub - product summary - Bing Shopping

    to answer about after market cables, some after market cables are not wired the same internally, they could be missing common or ground points, and although some may work they dont work for some functions such as connecting in download mode because internally a certain load voltage needs to be met to initiate certain fuctions
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
    Thanked by:
  18. #18  
    Kevin Gossett's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    1,692 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,691 Global Posts
    ROM
    GummyCharge 1.9.1

    Default

    Since you say you're not very tech-savvy, I assume you aren't rooted or running a custom ROM (especially since you're on a Mac--exclusively?)

    If you're willing to root and whatnot, Adrynalyne put together some kernels for DL09 that fixed this issue for a lot of people. Assuming you are on EA28, you can use the ClockworkMod utility for OS X to flash CWM, then use CWM to flash this kernel.

    At this point, might be worth a shot?

    Here is the kernel
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  
    Townie33's Avatar

    Posts
    23 Posts
    ROM
    Still Learning

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DroidXcon View Post
    i wasnt talking about the cable i was talking about a powered USB hub for example
    Gear Head 4-port USB 2.0 Powered Hub - product summary - Bing Shopping

    to answer about after market cables, some after market cables are not wired the same internally, they could be missing common or ground points, and although some may work they dont work for some functions such as connecting in download mode because internally a certain load voltage needs to be met to initiate certain fuctions
    I have tried every hub (powered or not) available. I have let the tech walk me through many painstaking steps.

    I greatly appreciate the efforts.
    If Patience is a virtue, I would love to meet HER!
  20. #20  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Gossett View Post
    If you're willing to root and whatnot, Adrynalyne put together some kernels for DL09 that fixed this issue for a lot of people. Assuming you are on EA28, you can use the ClockworkMod utility for OS X to flash CWM, then use CWM to flash this kernel.
    Here is the kernel
    I would love to root too, but since the last update I can't get the iMac to recognize my fascinate. When trying to root per this link this is the message I get in the terminal:

    christopher-faubels-macbook-2:tools faubelgobble$ ./adb push su /sdcard/su
    cannot stat 'su': No such file or directory

    I've been searching these forums, but can't find out what to do. Anyone know?
  21. #21  
    DroidXcon's Avatar

    Posts
    11,644 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

    Default

    i really question if it is all samsung, because the kernel must be altered for verizon and after this there is not much to do without doing major updates.
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
  22. #22  
    DroidXcon's Avatar

    Posts
    11,644 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GobbleXoom View Post
    I would love to root too, but since the last update I can't get the iMac to recognize my fascinate. When trying to root per this link this is the message I get in the terminal:

    christopher-faubels-macbook-2:tools faubelgobble$ ./adb push su /sdcard/su
    cannot stat 'su': No such file or directory

    I've been searching these forums, but can't find out what to do. Anyone know?
    can you please post this question in the root thread. ill help you there
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
  23. #23  

    Default Fascinate-Mac from VW to Samsung Support

    Hey guys, i understand other folks are having issues with connecting their fascinate to the mac. Ive spent over two hours this evening on the phone with 4 different levels of VW Tech Support, they finally transfer me to the Samsung Support...

    From here, she cant help, so im supposed to call back tomorrow to their Level 3 support. My god! Obviously this is not going to get fixed, am I in a situation where I can ask for a new phone model or refund? I'm ready to move on from the fascinate...

    Any ideas?
  24. #24  
    DroidXcon's Avatar

    Posts
    11,644 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amaskell12 View Post
    Hey guys, i understand other folks are having issues with connecting their fascinate to the mac. Ive spent over two hours this evening on the phone with 4 different levels of VW Tech Support, they finally transfer me to the Samsung Support...

    From here, she cant help, so im supposed to call back tomorrow to their Level 3 support. My god! Obviously this is not going to get fixed, am I in a situation where I can ask for a new phone model or refund? I'm ready to move on from the fascinate...

    Any ideas?
    At this point i would just say get an iphone, i mean we def know you wont have problems connecting with that.
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
  25. #25  

    Default

    Would VW replace my fascinate with an iphone? I dont understand why VW has got me talking to Samsung now...I dont want a replacement because i will just end back up at square one with the updates.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions