View Poll Results: Who's fault is it the fascinate still hasn't recieved froyo?

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • Verizon. Their meddling is intolerable.

49 55.68%
  • Samsung. They couldn't write software if they hired XDA.

3 3.41%
  • Both. Russian school children could colaborate more effectively!

36 40.91%
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Who's the problem with froyo?

So now that we've had a chance to chew on some official 2.2, even if it's from another carrier I'm curious what the consensus is about our "problem".

I'm personally of the opinion that verizon has totally ruined the fascinate by forcing too much bloatware on board, and using sub-standard apps at that. If you look at the time line, verizon was the LAST major carrier to pull off a launch, by something like 6 months if I'm not mistaken.

I haven't faulted samsung for more that a moment through the whole "Where's froyo? " debacle. Anyone got an opinion?

Even better, I think samsung should go all apple on the carriers and say no, you can make apps available through the market for all of your spammy obnoxious bloatware. Maybe, just maybe, we'll let you load an app that links to your section of the market.
    Anything you can do iCandobetter

If you're having kernel problems I feel bad for you son. I got 99 problems but a glitch ain't one!

Don't be afraid to click the thanks button at the bottom of a post. It tells AC to put some skittles down the chute in our cage :-)

S.E. W810i (ret) S.E. W850i (ret) S.E. w902 (ret) S.E. satio (r.i.p. software support) , samsung fascinate (ret), droid 3 (backup), droid razr(returned), gnex mike's Π
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    1,688 Global Posts
    ROM
    GummyCharge 1.9.1

As I remember, the first of the four variants was launched in mid-to-late June last year, and the Fascinate was last to launch in September... So not that far apart, but still last nonetheless
    Telling a member to "search" is not the answer to a question.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepdog Elite View Post
    So now that we've had a chance to chew on some official 2.2, even if it's from another carrier I'm curious what the consensus is about our "problem".

I'm personally of the opinion that verizon has totally ruined the fascinate by forcing too much bloatware on board, and using sub-standard apps at that. If you look at the time line, verizon was the LAST major carrier to pull off a launch, by something like 6 months if I'm not mistaken.

I haven't faulted samsung for more that a moment through the whole "Where's froyo? " debacle. Anyone got an opinion?

Even better, I think samsung should go all apple on the carriers and say no, you can make apps available through the market for all of your spammy obnoxious bloatware. Maybe, just maybe, we'll let you load an app that links to your section of the market.
    +1. I still think we get it.......someday I hope. Still the best phone I've ever had even with verizons bloatware on board.

Bloatware and Bing is the problem in my opinion.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Gossett View Post
    As I remember, the first of the four variants was launched in mid-to-late June last year, and the Fascinate was last to launch in September... So not that far apart, but still last nonetheless
    I was thinking the plain galaxy s was launched in march or april.

If you're having kernel problems I feel bad for you son. I got 99 problems but a glitch ain't one!

Don't be afraid to click the thanks button at the bottom of a post. It tells AC to put some skittles down the chute in our cage :-)

S.E. W810i (ret) S.E. W850i (ret) S.E. w902 (ret) S.E. satio (r.i.p. software support) , samsung fascinate (ret), droid 3 (backup), droid razr(returned), gnex mike's Π

BING was the worst part about this phone!!! Im back in love with this phone now since bing is no where to be found and all bloat is gone!!!!!

ROM
    SFC 2.9v,EC10ker,SPB laun

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by sfobrien View Post
    Bloatware and Bing is the problem in my opinion.
    +2 on best phones we have owned with or without 2.2, and what bing and bloatware haven't been able to locate any in a couple of months. lol Unless i look at someone elses phone. lol.

ROM
    Gummy, AOKP

lets be honest. the only reason sheepy posted this thread is because he just figured out how to do the poll thing and couldnt resist playing.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by gunnermike53 View Post
    lets be honest. the only reason sheepy posted this thread is because he just figured out how to do the poll thing and couldnt resist playing.
    HAHAHA! Please, if this was from boredom I would just go flash another kernel :-)

Wanted to see who thought what about finger pointing since samsung obviously can put out a decent update.

Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    1,688 Global Posts
    ROM
    GummyCharge 1.9.1

At least it seems as if they are working out the kinks, one release at a time. It doesn't seem as if the Mesmerize update is having any issues (that I know of at least), which bodes well for us.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

At least it seems as if they are working out the kinks, one release at a time. It doesn't seem as if the Mesmerize update is having any issues (that I know of at least), which bodes well for us.
    LOL, funny that a tiny carrier get a brick free froyo, but the big carriers all full of bloatware have so many problems. Hmm..... kinda makes you wonder eh?

I'm just wondering if we'll get froyo before the new samsung droid launches... there's no excuse if we don't get it by then...
    Mr Fix-It

ROM
    Stock Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by jackmei2 View Post
    I'm just wondering if we'll get froyo before the new samsung droid launches... there's no excuse if we don't get it by then...
    Someone will find an excuse if/when we don't. I agree with the above stated Verizon finger pointing. I imagine the conversation something like this:

Samsung: "But if we add your apps and custom settings the OS is slow and stops working, without them the phone works flawlessly"
    Verizon: "Well make it work. They can wait"

I think it is Samsung, HTC and Motorola have the same apps and they all get updates in a timely manner. I have already read that the Driod X is getting 2.3 soon.....
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    1,688 Global Posts
    ROM
    GummyCharge 1.9.1

Quote Originally Posted by Twilborne View Post
    I think it is Samsung, HTC and Motorola have the same apps and they all get updates in a timely manner. I have already read that the Driod X is getting 2.3 soon.....
    Keyword there: Droid

Verizon will always favor their "droid" devices over others, so that puts us lower down the totem pole.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    AOKP ICS build 38

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith317 View Post
    Someone will find an excuse if/when we don't. I agree with the above stated Verizon finger pointing. I imagine the conversation something like this:

Samsung: "But if we add your apps and custom settings the OS is slow and stops working, without them the phone works flawlessly"
    Verizon: "Well make it work. They can wait"
    + eleventy billion.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Quote Originally Posted by s14tat View Post
    + eleventy billion.
    + eleventy billion +1

ROM
    Eclipse 2.0

I am sastisfied with my fascinate since adding Adrynalyns work..
    but now if we are looking at "Whats Next" welp what about getting the sammy Unlocked

on a brighter side i had to see a VA doc outta town and while there i tried several ways of hooking online without some folks knowing about it.. I saw Verizon after Verizon..telling me the cost etc if i chose that route (i was trying easy tether) so i backed out over n over and then tried PDA.. best darned app that i know of.. hooked rith up ,no verizon **** in's.. nothing and my laptop was on a roll..
    Last edited by Kevin Gossett; 03-30-2011 at 10:30 PM.

I just saw this article this morning and I thought it was interesting.

"Things have gotten so heated, in fact, that complaints have apparently been made to the US Department of Justice. They may have something to do with allegations of Google holding back Verizon handsets with Microsoft's Bing on board, ostensibly in an effort to trip up its biggest search competitor."

I'm not sure if the allegations about Google/Verizon/Bing only means new phones rather than updates to existing phones, but I sure got me wondering...