Job offer from Verizon retail store.. should I take it?

adellc3

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm currently working at Publix, and the pay is really good, I just get weird hours.
I went into the Verizon store here in town to check out the thunderbolt for one of my friends and the girl at the desk said that they were gonna call me once they had a job opening. I had applied there long before I started working at Publix. But yeah, I would get an employee line in which I only paid $25 a month for unlimited everything on this phone. But everyone is saying that I should stick with the job I have now.. But.. This is a cellphone store. My dream. Pay isn't as good, but I would get better hours than at Publix. I know this has nothing to do with the fascinate, but just think, I would have all of the upcoming release dates and whatnot. I could be awesome. Lol.

What do you guys think? Quit job and get Verizon job? Or stick with stocking shelves at a grocery store? Or try working two jobs at one time?? Opinions please?

Edit: I just realized that I posted this on the root fascinate section.. if someone could move this, I'd be much obliged. :p

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm currently working at Publix, and the pay is really good, I just get weird hours.
I went into the Verizon store here in town to check out the thunderbolt for one of my friends and the girl at the desk said that they were gonna call me once they had a job opening. I had applied there long before I started working at Publix. But yeah, I would get an employee line in which I only paid $25 a month for unlimited everything on this phone. But everyone is saying that I should stick with the job I have now.. But.. This is a cellphone store. My dream. Pay isn't as good, but I would get better hours than at Publix. I know this has nothing to do with the fascinate, but just think, I would have all of the upcoming release dates and whatnot. I could be awesome. Lol.

What do you guys think? Quit job and get Verizon job? Or stick with stocking shelves at a grocery store? Or try working two jobs at one time?? Opinions please?

is it significantly less than what you are making now? will you be making less overall? do either offer benifits?

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I wouldn't quit your job for the Verizon job but try working both for a while. That way if the Verizon doesn't work out or you find out you don't like as much as you thought you didn't lose anything. Better safe then sorry. Best of luck on what ever you end up doing.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

wyllic

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site

Edit: I just realized that I posted this on the root fascinate section.. if someone could move this, I'd be much obliged. :p

My roomate works for Verizon and I generally find out things about them before she does. They don't tell u guys anything u can't find here :)

adellc3

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
is it significantly less than what you are making now? will you be making less overall? do either offer benifits?

Well, I make $8.50/hour now at Publix, at the Verizon store, I would get $7.50/hour. I know Publix offers a ton of benefits, but I don't know about the Verizon store. I know I would get paid a 10% bonus for every phone I sell and other bonuses. Lots of bonuses, but I didn't hear much about benefits.

adellc3

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't quit your job for the Verizon job but try working both for a while. That way if the Verizon doesn't work out or you find out you don't like as much as you thought you didn't lose anything. Better safe then sorry. Best of luck on what ever you end up doing.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

That was my plan for a while and I think I might try to work with that. I'll have a lot of time this summer to work, so, yeah, that could work. But I'm just gonna think it through. I don't know how my managers would feel about me working 2 jobs. They usually look down on that at Publix.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
well that sounds like an indirect for Verizon and not a corporate store. If you interview for corporate Verizon it is a phone call interview first, then an interview with a store manager. If he likes you he lets corporate know and an offer is made to you. There is an extensive background check and you better not lie to them or you are NOT employed period ! Their benefits are awesome and begin from the first day you are employed as well as the pay is a lot more than what you are being offered.

If you are interested in getting into the wireless industry, then take the job and work both jobs. At least you would find out, but if you want to really work for VERIZON go to the website, apply online, take their assessment test and then see what happens.

I went thru the interviewing process and was hired by them. But I didn't end up working for them because I had an illness I had to deal that I was unaware of at the time. I want to try again though. I have worked for indirect stores.

If you can get hired with corporate Verizon, you would have an exceptional job.

adellc3

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, it's an indirect store. Its called Wireless Zone, but they sell nothing but Verizon phones.

Sheepdog Elite

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, it's an indirect store. Its called Wireless Zone, but they sell nothing but Verizon phones.

I can tell you one thing, I know someone who was in a store with the same commission structure and their money blew goats. If publix has good benefits stay there. If they're anything like corporate verizon then it's a screw job where you have to be a lying thief to make goals and keep your job. Just my .02. Never shop at a corporate location, or anywhere that charges more than corporate, and most definitely never work there.

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I know a couple of people that work at Publix, and they are pretty happy with their jobs and the management. They aren't looking for a change.

Sta11i0n

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
If they're anything like corporate verizon then it's a screw job where you have to be a lying thief to make goals and keep your job.

I have to agree with this 100%. Before starting my own business I interviewed at VZ after a layoff (due to department closures) in the technical support field. I have tons of customer service experience but because I was in support, my sales goals were much lower than a dedicated sales rep. Because of this, even though I interviewed for VZ's sales position, they offered me a general retail spot. Their goals for a sales rep are so outrageous and pay is so strongly based on commission, there's no way you can be a truthful and honest rep that actually tries to HELP people and meet them. Hence all the horror stories we hear from day to day on what "the guy at VZ told me." If you don't care about screwing the next guy over, you surely can make some good money there, but it just wasn't for me.

triddirt

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
My niece worked for a different Major Cellular provider and got fired for missing sales goals (they said not agressive enough) (she said they did not have compelling products..)

So my feedback is if you're job is based on sales goals make sure you realize you'll be at the mercy of the products/services offered...

+1 on flexible morals.. In generall though the retail stores are catering to the masses and what I would call an under educated consumer... Not the folks who read these boards...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy