I will **never*** buy another Samsung

jcjdoss

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Everyone is getting so hung up on a bloated firmware update and forgetting that the Fascinate is truly an incredible piece of hardware. If you need froyo that bad then you already have options.

I do understand letting the companies involved know how that makes you feel about future samsung purchases. But it seems that there are people who really are not enjoying their device. Don't let the man get you down :)

Sent from my Fascinate using Tapatalk

stimr2

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Verizon and Samsung already have our money. They pretty much don't care about our complaints. Also the Fascinate user base is so small compared to other phones. If all of us switched providers and never bought their products it wouldn't even make a dent. Verizon and Samsung are huge corporations.

Also it would be almost impossible not to buy a Samsung product because almost every high tech device has Samsung hardware.

jcjdoss

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't say they don't care. I think there is a bigger battle going on behind the scenes. We all know that Verizon has Apple like control issues and is flexing that power over the manufacturers to make sure Verizon's interests are priority and to make sure the manufacturers know who calls the shots. Plus we all know that it's about the behind the scene deals.

Verizon has came across as a company that rigorously tests its updates though. They tend to always be last with releasing them.

The original Droid went through the same issues when it came out

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Everyone is getting so hung up on a bloated firmware update and forgetting that the Fascinate is truly an incredible piece of hardware. If you need froyo that bad then you already have options.

I do understand letting the companies involved know how that makes you feel about future samsung purchases. But it seems that there are people who really are not enjoying their device. Don't let the man get you down :)

Sent from my Fascinate using Tapatalk

I'm loving my Fascinate. If we don't get an update within a few months, maybe I'll root. But I agree, I had my choice of everything on Verizon's current lineup, and I still picked the Fascinate. It really is a beautiful piece of hardware, and for average users (which is most people, like me), it is an awesome device just the way it is. The fact that it could be improved in the next few months (either officially or on my own) is gravy to me. But I completely understand the frustration of those who have had the device for months and months.

myersw

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I like others here like my Fascinate. Have eb01 debloated installed and it is all I could ask for. I am not a bells and whistles person. I want a reliable phone on a reliable network for making calls, messaging and some web browsing. Run a traffic app and weather app but that is about the extent of additional stuff. For me this phone does all I want fast. As for the Verizon issues. I left Verizon to try the other big guy, ATT, what a mistake that was!! Poor voice quality and dropped calls. I do not have these complaints with Verizon. After that experience my wife would leave me if I even suggested going to someone else.

Chris3D

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site

I don't have an issue with the bloated stock system, that's what rooting is for. For the most part, I've gotten the best results from the stock roms, which I've manually debloated. And aside from the battery life, I was completely happy using the leaked 2.2.

What I do take issue with is the delays with the updates. At this point, I don't care who's at fault - Samsung or Verizon, for all intents and purposes, this phone has been abandoned by both. Sure, we may get 2.2 officially at some point, but it's too little, too late.

And although I have different issues with Verizon, I refuse to allow Samsung completely off the hook when it comes to the quality of the software and the impact that almost assuredly has had on the delays. The GPS problems don't have anything to do with Verizon bloat. The lousy Windows drivers aren't Verizon's fault. The idiotic things like the full battery popup aren't Verizon's fault. These are all examples of incompetent programmers at Samsung.

That said, I am overall happy with the phone, it does pretty much everything I need it to do. But I have no illusions that this phone will have a decidedly shorter and limited life span than other, more supported phones. It *is* only a matter of time before the developers leave completely for greener pastures.

jackmei2

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
That said, I am overall happy with the phone, it does pretty much everything I need it to do. But I have no illusions that this phone will have a decidedly shorter and limited life span than other, more supported phones. It *is* only a matter of time before the developers leave completely for greener pastures.

this is exactly what I'm afraid of, lack of software support for this phone.... both from samsung/vzw and from independent devs. I'm happy with the phone right now, esp with the leaks that adrynalyne has given us. It's just that their dev depends on samsung too, for the source code and the leaks.

jcjdoss

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
But that is a risk you take with any first generation phone. Fear only diminishes the enjoyment of what you already own. If it gets to the point if you can't enjoy it anymore, sell it and buy something else.

calbrs04

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I love my fascinate on superclean 2.9.2, but I hate the fact that it seems, to me at least, that that is it for the fascinate. I mean I keep seeing other phones getting the official froyo and now the gingerbread, and the fascinate is like the red-headed stepchild. This is causing me to consider the iphone. I don't think that I could do another motorola phone unless it blows everything else out of the water. Specially after the razr, and then the problems I was having with my og droid. Might consider an htc though. Eh! who knows anymore. Everything seems to suck the next day when something else is announced. Stinking technology.

jcjdoss

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I love my fascinate on superclean 2.9.2, but I hate the fact that it seems, to me at least, that that is it for the fascinate. I mean I keep seeing other phones getting the official froyo and now the gingerbread, and the fascinate is like the red-headed stepchild. This is causing me to consider the iphone. I don't think that I could do another motorola phone unless it blows everything else out of the water. Specially after the razr, and then the problems I was having with my og droid. Might consider an htc though. Eh! who knows anymore. Everything seems to suck the next day when something else is announced. Stinking technology.

I can't tell you what they'll do. They've promised froyo and more than likely will deliver eventually. It makes no sense for samsung not to support a first gen device. Expecially since it's already out for the mesmerize. I would be really shocked if the fascinate did not get gingerbread. And I would bet the update will be faster after learning how to deal with verizon. But who knows. I will have prolly switch phones by then anyway

Chris3D

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
But that is a risk you take with any first generation phone. Fear only diminishes the enjoyment of what you already own.

None of this is really diminishing my enjoyment of the phone, as I said, it more or less does what I want it to. But the issues surrounding updates, the unavailability of source code and the generally buggy nature of the code that has been released are such that I will not purchase another phone, or any other product for that matter, from Samsung again.

I would be really shocked if the fascinate did not get gingerbread.

I would be absolutely stunned if it did get it. With the lack of interest they've demonstrated in getting 2.2 released, I can't imagine they'll even bother attempting 2.3. Had they not sold accessories that require 2.2, I'd bet they would have abandoned the phone completely by now.

s14tat

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I would also be totally shocked if we even got a leaked gingerbread rom. It upsets me that all these HTC and Motorola fanboys are rubbing gingerbread to our face. I love Samsung but the lack of official updates is letting these guys think their phone is better than ours.

jackmei2

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
well, looks like even the epic 4g will be getting gingerbread love. I'm thinking we'll get it as well, but how long it will take to get it? who knows?

Tarrant

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
well, looks like even the epic 4g will be getting gingerbread love. I'm thinking we'll get it as well, but how long it will take to get it? who knows?

Nothing personal, but.. I'm really not sure how anybody can say that when we've not only been waiting on Froyo for nearly 9 months now, but that we neither have it now nor is there any indication at all that an official Froyo release for the Fascinate will ever actually happen. A few leaks != indication that an official release is imminent.

Just sayin.'

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

Well I have a slightly different take on what the Gingerbread for the Epic 4g news means. I think this news combined with the Mesmerize (essentially the same exact phone as our Fascinate) being released after the Fascinate yet receiving Froyo before the Fascinate should put to bed the argument of who is to blame for the Fascinate not having Froyo yet. I don't see how anyone can look at that and not see that Verizon is the holdup. Oh and let's not forget all of the European Galaxy S phones are set to get Gingerbread. It seems to me Samsung doesn't have too much trouble getting an updated OS on their phones, when you remove the obstacle of carrier restrictions. Look at all of the Galaxy S phones that have received or soon will be receiving an updated OS, and you will see one common element among them all - no Verizon.

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Nothing personal, but.. I'm really not sure how anybody can say that when we've not only been waiting on Froyo for nearly 9 months now, but that we neither have it now nor is there any indication at all that an official Froyo release for the Fascinate will ever actually happen. A few leaks != indication that an official release is imminent.

Just sayin.'

The phone was released 7 months ago... Were you waiting before it was released for the update?

I still maintain the same sentiment DXC does. There is no way Samsung and VZW would put time and money into three different builds with no intention of updating.

jackmei2

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site

Just sayin.'

not sure if I follow how what you're saying has to do with what I said, so I guess I didn't take it personally ;)

I agree that just because we get leaks doesn't mean froyo release is coming any time soon, I mean the first leak was DL30, which was what? Dec 30th? on the same token, they aren't working on it just to not release it.

Landshark said:
Well I have a slightly different take on what the Gingerbread for the Epic 4g news means. I think this news combined with the Mesmerize (essentially the same exact phone as our Fascinate) being released after the Fascinate yet receiving Froyo before the Fascinate should put to bed the argument of who is to blame for the Fascinate not having Froyo yet. I don't see how anyone can look at that and not see that Verizon is the holdup. Oh and let's not forget all of the European Galaxy S phones are set to get Gingerbread. It seems to me Samsung doesn't have too much trouble getting an updated OS on their phones, when you remove the obstacle of carrier restrictions. Look at all of the Galaxy S phones that have received or soon will be receiving an updated OS, and you will see one common element among them all - no Verizon.

I agree man, vzw is what's holding us up... no doubt about that. it's just really confusing because as you can see, vzw isn't holding up other devices and their software updates, so I wonder what that says about how they feel about the fascinate, or their direction with this device.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I agree man, vzw is what's holding us up... no doubt about that. it's just really confusing because as you can see, vzw isn't holding up other devices and their software updates, so I wonder what that says about how they feel about the fascinate, or their direction with this device.

its all about their branding, fascinate was the only phone left out of the Droid Branding. Then the thunderbolt comes along first 4g, and now they are getting droid Charge, they delay the fascinate, and they can push you either to their Droid line or to the TB. I'm sure its even more complicated than that

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
its all about their branding, fascinate was the only phone left out of the Droid Branding. Then the thunderbolt comes along first 4g, and now they are getting droid Charge, they delay the fascinate, and they can push you either to their Droid line or to the TB. I'm sure its even more complicated than that

No doubt the marketing schemes are deep and complex. I said samsung never again too, but there are some things samsung does best. The S2 looks good.

jcjdoss

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I will inevitably switch phones sooner than later. But the Fascinate...even if it never sees an update, it is a great end user device. The common consumer would never know the difference...it might actually upset them to have to flash a new ROM :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance