[Please Read 1st Post] ED01 - Samsung releases Froyo source code!

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
What is the difference between SC and Cyanogen?

Would a SC build from this be more stable or have new features compared to the SC 2.9.2 that I'm currently using? Not that I really have problems with it, so I'm not sure what would get better.

Jrex

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
Aha!! A dual poster at both sites like quite a few of us. Haven't seen you here at AC before. Welcome.

SHARK!! TY TY. Yeah, I have noticed the "dual poster" thing also lol. I post here and there occasionally when I have time... I roam around reading most of the time trying to learn the whole Android in lil tiny pieces! AOSP is kinda deep for a family man who is always either at work or playing with the kids but I have learned alot! :D

Ronindan

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Help me to understand something, is this a typical first step in getting the update over OTA? First they release the source code, then test it, then release OTA? I want to believe this means we are getting closer to an OTA release, but I am wary to get my hopes up.

Not really Samsung released the source code for the Telus Fascinate after Telus release Froyo to end users.

Nightscape82

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Sorry for asking such a noob question, but what exactly are the main improvements I'm going to notice with froyo vs eclair on my fascinate? Will the stock lag issue be fixed?
Not really tech saavy here, and im scared to root/upgrade roms and all that jazz lol. But hearing about a imminent froyo ota upgrade sure does excite me.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I know that the international Verison of the Galaxy S can perform screen captures with Froyo, can the Samsung Fascinate with Froyo also do screen captures by holding back and power or holding back and home?

I also wanted to know if with the addition of froyo, do we finally have TV-Out enabled like our Samsung Vibrant and Captivate Siblings? Can someone do a video of these things :) Thanks!

The screen capture function works with our phone on Froyo. Don't know anything about the TV-Out function. I did see a thread about it over at XDA in either the General or Q & A section, but I didn't read it as it didn't interest me.

ETA - Found the thread over at XDA about the TV out. Apparently it is not a function we have, but someone put together a MOD for it. The MOD is still in beta version and seems to be quite a lot wrong with it, so I wouldn't mess with it if I were you. You can track the progress here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=963998

Last edited:

Tarrant

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
But hearing about a imminent froyo ota upgrade sure does excite me.

Anybody who suggests to you that they know a Froyo ota update is imminent is either ignorant or flat out lying to you. There is NO indication that an update is in the works.

Samsung released source code because they're taking a huge amount of negative PR for Verizon's mistakes. It does NOT mean that Verizon Wireless has any plans whatsoever to officially release Froyo for the Fascinate.

Don't want to shoot your hopes down, but people are getting themselves worked up into a happy frenzy for nothing.

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Help me to understand something, is this a typical first step in getting the update over OTA? First they release the source code, then test it, then release OTA? I want to believe this means we are getting closer to an OTA release, but I am wary to get my hopes up.

Not really Samsung released the source code for the Telus Fascinate after Telus release Froyo to end users.

Actually that's exactly what it means. This has been the pattern so far for all the US Galaxy S phones. Samsung has released the source code right before the official OTA release. The Epig 4g had Froyo source released on a Friday, and the official OTA was Monday. Now keep in mind we are dealing with verizon, so who knows how long they will delay it.

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
What is the difference between SC and Cyanogen?

Would a SC build from this be more stable or have new features compared to the SC 2.9.2 that I'm currently using? Not that I really have problems with it, so I'm not sure what would get better.

SC is still based off the official touchwiz based ROM. Cyanogen is based on Android Open Source Project (AOSP) so it is code straight from Google without all the carrier and manufacturer bs. Also all of Cyanogen has moved to only being based on Gingerbread, so we won't be seeing a fully functioning CM ROM for quite some time. Jt1134 and punk.kaos are close with their respective CM builds but have a few bugs and non working functions in common left. And those things apparently can't be cleared up without certain code from Samsung which they have said is apparently extremely difficult, if no impossible, to get.

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Sorry for asking such a noob question, but what exactly are the main improvements I'm going to notice with froyo vs eclair on my fascinate? Will the stock lag issue be fixed?
Not really tech saavy here, and im scared to root/upgrade roms and all that jazz lol. But hearing about a imminent froyo ota upgrade sure does excite me.

Check out this thread from Cory Streator. It lists all the changes, improvements, and other little nuances found in Froyo for our Fascinates

http://forum.androidcentral.com/ver...faq-plus-stock-unrooted-rooted-downloads.html

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Anybody who suggests to you that they know a Froyo ota update is imminent is either ignorant or flat out lying to you. There is NO indication that an update is in the works.

Samsung released source code because they're taking a huge amount of negative PR for Verizon's mistakes. It does NOT mean that Verizon Wireless has any plans whatsoever to officially release Froyo for the Fascinate.

Don't want to shoot your hopes down, but people are getting themselves worked up into a happy frenzy for nothing.

Check out my post right below yours. This has been the exact pattern for all US Galaxy S phones. Source code has been released by Samsung, and the official OTA followed soon after. Epic 4g had source code released by Samsung on Friday, and Sprint rolled out the OTA on Monday. Now we are dealing with verizon, who seems to love delaying things. So the Fascinate OTA may not come out on Monday, but it will definitely be coming soon, perhaps within a week or two.

I have seen all your doomsday posts that the Fascinate is NEVER going to get Froyo, blah, blah, blah. They are completely unproductive and based on nothing other than your negative attitude. Show us some internal documents from verizon that back up your claim that the Fascinate will never get Froyo. The Fascinate forums here at AC are happy, friendly forums and I think everyone would like to keep them that way.

MachoMan24

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
For all of us with rooted phones, what does this mean? Is there anything better about an official Froyo vs a rooted one? Will anyone unroot and get the official Froyo, if so how? Not sure how to do that......

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
For all of us with rooted phones, what does this mean? Is there anything better about an official Froyo vs a rooted one? Will anyone unroot and get the official Froyo, if so how? Not sure how to do that......

Apparently according to jt1134 and imnuts over at XDA, there's nothing real new or different in this source code from the EC10 Mesmerize source code. So according to them those who are rooted and using the latest kernels and whatnot will not see any big changes with this release. It is big news for anyone who hasn't rooted, as it seems likely the official OTA will happen soon. I would imagine most people who are rooted and using custom ROMs will stay that way and not go back to stock to receive the official OTA. If you want to go back to stock, check out DroidXcon's thread. You will have to go back to DL09 and let your phone do the OTA to EA28 before you will receive the Froyo OTA

http://forum.androidcentral.com/ver...eturn-stock-remove-system-apps-other-how.html

Reactions: MachoMan24

bear_lx

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
im switching to t-mobile, cheaper and better selection of phones in my opinion... i will never buy another samsung, regardless of their super amoled screens...the fact that froyo is just now being released is a joke. too many bugs, like gps not working... bye bye fascinate, hello hd7! (i know a lot of people will laugh at the wp7, but its pretty sexy)

btw thanks to everyone , for all the support and hard work put into these forums...without you , phones like the fascinate would be worthless...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arslan