[Please Read 1st Post] ED01 - Samsung releases Froyo source code!

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
No, really! :p

fascinate-froyo.jpg

Samsung Open Source Release Center

Search for SCH-I500.

Moderator's Edit: This is not a means to update your phone. This is simply the source code for developers to use as a base. There is not an OTA available from Verizon, but when one is available you will find the news on the front page of the blog. In short, if you aren't a developer, this isn't what you're looking for. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Oryan

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Hmmmmmm...

Then the rain stopped, the clouds parted, a bright light shone through and the parade can continue! I love this phone regardless of the patience it requires, hopefully this will be worth the wait!

Reactions: scanners

JollyRoger

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Help me to understand something, is this a typical first step in getting the update over OTA? First they release the source code, then test it, then release OTA? I want to believe this means we are getting closer to an OTA release, but I am wary to get my hopes up.

Reactions: scanners

Mellen_hed

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Help me to understand something, is this a typical first step in getting the update over OTA? First they release the source code, then test it, then release OTA? I want to believe this means we are getting closer to an OTA release, but I am wary to get my hopes up.

I'm thinking it might mean that, but more than likely it means that Verizon has been the one dragging their feet the whole time, however; without their inherent foot-dragging, i would've never have jumped aboard the AC community... bittersweet, i guess

sushiguy732

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

Personally I abandoned the OTA route about 2 weeks after I got my phone. the SC 2.9.2 build is truly amazing and the newer ED01 build will have to be just as good if not better. The only thing I can imagine being better is battery life which pretty much sucks right now.

Martian

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Finally!

hopefully we can now get some CM7 love for the Fascinate! I just hope this is a solid code release, not like to crap Samsung put out for Eclair.

Lttlwing16

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Looking forward to a ROM with this source! Sticking with 2.9.2 until then.

My friend had some problems with his Froyo release on the Epic 4g, even after they reworked it twice. Much more confident in the custom ROMS from our devs, than the bogged down buggy OTA version they'll release soon.

Patient expectations...

anon(40232)

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Personally I abandoned the OTA route about 2 weeks after I got my phone. the SC 2.9.2 build is truly amazing and the newer ED01 build will have to be just as good if not better. The only thing I can imagine being better is battery life which pretty much sucks right now.

Sounds like I need to read up on how to update from 2.9.0 to 2.9.2. .0 has been good, but with only a couple of minor hiccups. I've only heard good things about .2

Better battery life would be nice. I found just turning off wireless when not in use helps alot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38