Quick question for you Fascinate gurus....

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I don't come in here often as I havecthe HTC Incredible. My wife has a white Fascinate from Best Buy. It has had a few nagging problems since new. I was in a VZW store and the salesman said he thought the first. Version had software problems. Does this sound plausible to you folks?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I don't come in here often as I havecthe HTC Incredible. My wife has a white Fascinate from Best Buy. It has had a few nagging problems since new. I was in a VZW store and the salesman said he thought the first. Version had software problems. Does this sound plausible to you folks?

i dont understand, what in specific was he refering to. almost all phones have software problems my TB has a bunch. what are you worried about?

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

I know when the Fascinate first came out it had a known problem with GPS. Other than that, not sure except I am sure the vzw store salespeople don't have a clue what they are talking about. What problems is she having and let's see if we can identify and correct them

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I had not been too concerned, but there have been a few things here and there. For a few days the phone would not charge, even after being plugged in all night. Then it suddenly started charging fine, still is. Little other things that caused problems...email not updating, even when manually refreshing it. Nothing bad enough to take it back, but still bugs me.

The salesman said he thought that there was revised software that camne out after she got hers. I was just curious if this was true. Here is what she has:

IMAG0011.jpg

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I know when the Fascinate first came out it had a known problem with GPS. Other than that, not sure except I am sure the vzw store salespeople don't have a clue what they are talking about. What problems is she having and let's see if we can identify and correct them

To be honest, I don't mess with the phone too much. Her and I work different shifts so I rarely see her til the weekend. She will say she is having some problem with the phone, but I am not always there to see it for myself.

We have an old 2G iphone given to me by a friend. She used it (on wifi) for awhile before I got her the Fascinate for Christmas. It will update and download the email fine while her Fascinate will not at times, so I know it is the phone. Usually Gmail works ok, but her Roadrunner email never works right on the Samsung yet works perfectly on the old iphone.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I had not been too concerned, but there have been a few things here and there. For a few days the phone would not charge, even after being plugged in all night. Then it suddenly started charging fine, still is. Little other things that caused problems...email not updating, even when manually refreshing it. Nothing bad enough to take it back, but still bugs me.

The salesman said he thought that there was revised software that camne out after she got hers. I was just curious if this was true. Here is what she has:

EA28 is the latests official build, i never heard of anyone having the charging problem... and even on my TB my email doesnt update all the time.

make sure that background data is enabled.

official froyo should be out soon since the source code is out , or you can upgrade to froyo from the stickies in our roms and hacks sections

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
EA28 is the latests official build, i never heard of anyone having the charging problem... and even on my TB my email doesnt update all the time.

make sure that background data is enabled.

official froyo should be out soon since the source code is out , or you can upgrade to froyo from the stickies in our roms and hacks sections

Yeah, I have gone thru and made sure all the setting are correct. As I said, even a manual refresh will not bring the mail in for some reason. Then later, out of ther blue, the new mail will suddenly appear. Like I said, nothing worth tossing the phone (LOL) but just nagging little things.

Nice to know I have the latest build. Will look into the froyo update. Did ther same thing with my Incredible....did not want to wait for the OTA update. I have it rooted and ran Gingerbread vanilla Android for a bit yesterday. Will try it again later.

thanks for the info on the wife's Fascinate.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
To be honest, I don't mess with the phone too much. Her and I work different shifts so I rarely see her til the weekend. She will say she is having some problem with the phone, but I am not always there to see it for myself.

We have an old 2G iphone given to me by a friend. She used it (on wifi) for awhile before I got her the Fascinate for Christmas. It will update and download the email fine while her Fascinate will not at times, so I know it is the phone. Usually Gmail works ok, but her Roadrunner email never works right on the Samsung yet works perfectly on the old iphone.

I had some syncing issues, but switched off the standard gmail app to K-9 mail and havent seen it since.

Just throwing my 2 cents out there

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

IMAG0011.jpg

That's exactly what I'm talking about with sales people not knowing what they are talking about. Build and baseband are EA28, that is the most current, updated software for the Fascinate without rooting. The stock email isn't necessarily a bug, it just doesn't work or poll very well. A lot of us use K-9 mail and haven't looked back.

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
The stock email doesn't work very well for a lot of people. There are a couple of different ways to get around this...

- route her RR email through Gmail. Gmail gets pushed to the phone, whereas all other email is polled at whatever interval you set it at
- use a third party email app. Personally I use K-9 mail, and don't have any issues getting my Hotmail, which is set to poll every hour

papa54

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site

IMAG0011.jpg

i bought my fascinate dec 30th and i got the same update as your phone shows.. 2.1 Update1..its the same update OTA after i had phone a few days.. then i souped up my ph from others advice

Sheepdog Elite

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Stock email app doesn't like yahoo or hotmail/msn for some reason. K9 is the fix I set up for my customers. Not charging sounds like a charger issue if it just came back all of a sudden. That's just freakin weird.

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
The charging issue was there regardless of which charger she used... oem, Incredible, blackberry, generic, powermat....

spencer0279

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site

that might be since best buy takes traded in phones, resets them like verizon does and then sells them as new. considering the fascinate doesnt come in white from verizon.. lol

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site

OHSteel

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I know others have already mentioned K9 and just wanted to add my 2 cents. I also have Roadrunner and could not get it to play nice with the stock email appear on Eclair or now on Froyo. It does however work very nice for me with K9. So even after the pending ota update, I would not count on the rr mail working properly on the stock app.

TapATalkin From My SuperClean ComaVolt Kernel Fascinate

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Another option that was mentioned earlier was forwarding all of your other mail through Gmail. I know quite a few other people like that method because everything seemed to work flawlessly on their phone once they entire Android process, in a sense.

Sta11i0n

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Another option that was mentioned earlier was forwarding all of your other mail through Gmail. I know quite a few other people like that method because everything seemed to work flawlessly on their phone once they entire Android process, in a sense.

Right. You can never go wrong with going full Google on Androids. But that's only if you're willing to change. :p

On another note, you may want to check out some of the ROMs here. Based on the notification bar in your screen shot, she has a lot going on there. A debloated ROM would would certainly smooth things out and make the phone much more enjoyable.

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Turns out, in my infinite wisdom, I had already set her RR account up to be forwarded to her gmail....I just forgot. LOL.

I know the white version is a BB exclusive, I went there on purpose. I got it for her for Christmas and thought she'd like white over black. Plus BB had a better price.... $49 can't hardly be beat. Lol yeah I'm a cheap bastard. LOL

As for her notification bar, she kills me. It is always full of stuff. I usually grab her phone every few days and update stuff that calls for manual update and clear out her notification bar. She knows to e but just never does.

Thank you for all the tips and help, I really appreciate it!