Micro SD locked/can't format

kalnel#WN

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
My micro SD card seems like it has been on a slow process of becoming corrupt. Files that I put on it before a month ago are working fine, but newer files are a little wonky. For instance, MP3's are cutting off before a song is done, newer Evernote notes stored on it won't appear, etc. Also, some of the newer files and folders can't be deleted (on my phone or from the computer.)

I've noticed that it is also very slow to register when I reboot my device. It takes about 10 minutes for my phone to find the card and run a media recognition.

I first tried reformatting on the phone, but the option is greyed out. So, I tried reformatting on two different computers, using several different SD adaptors. Still no luck -- I keep getting message that the card is "write protected."

I've tried all the logical stuff: using an adapter with a slider to lock/unlock, using a USB adapter, running dskchk, etc.

Any other tips or advice? I hate to trash this card -- it's a 32GB Sandisk.

Sta11i0n

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
There's an option in the *mounts and storage* menu of CWM Recovery to do it. Probably have to unmount, format, then mount again. I've never had to do it but that would make sense to me.

Last edited:

SAHARAT

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like a definite problem with your SD card,not the phone (IMO)... When I was looking around the web for a class 10 mini 32gb SD a while back, I came across a lot of
bad reviews about them. It seems that it's a hit or miss whether someone would get a good one or a bad one,especially,but definitely not limited to, Sandisk... Class 4 seemed to be more stable,but had problems as well....

I have been using "SD Speed Increase" app for a couple weeks now... And I can tell you that it makes a huge difference. It changes a parameter in a file system (thus the need of Root access) that manages the size of the cache on the memory card. If you have a bad SD,I doubt that it will do any good,but it might be worth a try..? It speeds mine up greatly...

BTW''' I'm not responsible for anything going bad if you try it....

If any of the more knowledgeable guys here know of any reason this app is not good to use,please let us know... :D But I have yet to see any ill effects after a couple weeks..

SD Speed Increase
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.sdincrease.it&feature=search_result

Last edited:

Sta11i0n

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like a definite problem with your SD card,not the phone (IMO)... When I was looking around the web for a class 10 mini 32gb SD a while back, I came across a lot of
bad reviews about them. It seems that it's a hit or miss whether someone would get a good one or a bad one,especially,but definitely not limited to, Sandisk... Class 4 seemed to be more stable,but had problems as well....

I have been using "SD Speed Increase" app for a couple weeks now... And I can tell you that it makes a huge difference. It changes a parameter in a file system (thus the need of Root access) that manages the size of the cache on the memory card. If you have a bad SD,I doubt that it will do any good,but it might be worth a try..? It speeds mine up greatly...

BTW''' I'm not responsible for anything going bad if you try it....

If any of the more knowledgeable guys here know of any reason this app is not good to use,please let us know... :D But I have yet to see any ill effects after a couple weeks..

SD Speed Increase
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.sdincrease.it&feature=search_result

He could certainly give it a shot. No harm in trying. In your case though, I think it's kinda redundant since you're on a SC rom which has SD card r/w speed mods already. To each their own though. If you like it, more power to ya.

SAHARAT

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
He could certainly give it a shot. No harm in trying. In your case though, I think it's kinda redundant since you're on a SC rom which has SD card r/w speed mods already. To each their own though. If you like it, more power to ya.

Yea, I was aware of that.. Thought I would give it a try anyway.... I didn't/don't know what
the read/write speeds were increased to with the mods... I noticed that with this app I could increase and decrease the values,so I thought I'd play around a little...
I am definitely seeing an increase in preformance when I have it set to 2048kb.. (it goes up to 6144kb, BTW)

I would go further but I'm scared of blowing it up... :-[ lol

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Yea, I was aware of that.. Thought I would give it a try anyway.... I didn't/don't know what
the read/write speeds were increased to with the mods... I noticed that with this app I could increase and decrease the values,so I thought I'd play around a little...
I am definitely seeing an increase in preformance when I have it set to 2048kb.. (it goes up to 6144kb, BTW)

I would go further but I'm scared of blowing it up... :-[ lol

And for tinkering with your phone and trying something just for the heck of it or to see what would happen........I would like to officially welcome you to the gunnermike I put frogs on my phone club :p:D

SAHARAT

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
And for tinkering with your phone and trying something just for the heck of it or to see what would happen........I would like to officially welcome you to the gunnermike I put frogs on my phone club :p:D

Shoot.... I think this,"I would go further but I'm scared of blowing it up." would
disqualify me from that club... :(

Cause gunnermike ain't skeered o nu-in...

Thanks .... But I'll need try harder.... lol :)

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Shoot.... I think this,"I would go further but I'm scared of blowing it up." would
disqualify me from that club... :(

Cause gunnermike ain't skeered o nu-in...

Thanks .... But I'll need try harder.... lol :)

That's the spirit. If at first you don't uh....Fail? Try, try again.

Sheepdog Elite

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

Just a heads up for you sammich but the speed mod he's talking about is different if I'm not mistaken. Adrynalyne included the option to skip internal memory for media scan, but the one that increases the cache size for the card is different, and really kicks a lot of a**. You should look into it. There's a thread somewhere about it LOL. I would link it but my eyes are just barely open and I don't know that I can give you the right link.

kalnel#WN

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the ideas, guys, but I think the card is the culprit. I tried going into CWM, but I couldn't get it to go to the advanced menu. (I had a similar problem a few months ago when I was flashing my phone from a different card.)

Everything is working fine with my old 16GB card, so it's definitely a card issue. I can actually see several bad files when I look through the card's folders on my PC -- one MP3 reports as being 6.3GB -- but there's not much I can do unless I figure out how to "unlock" the card.

(From what I've read, MicroSD cards sometimes get corrupted as locked in various cameras and other devices, but there's no straightforward, fool-proof way to "unlock" them.)

Back in Pocket PC/WinMob days, there was a program that would "re-flash" SD cards (as opposed to formatting them). I may dig out one of my old phones and see if I can get that method to work.

bradcrandall1

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I am having the exact issue with my Sandisk 32gb card. It has data on it from a few days ago but if I add anything new, unmount the card, then remount the card, the data has reverted back to how it was. I cannot reformat it on the phone or on the PC using an adapter. Probably a bad card but I'm wondering if there is a way to reflash the card rather than reformatting it which errors out.

Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze