Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
Results 126 to 150 of 190
  1. #126  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Meltarrus View Post
    I was rooted but flashed my Fascinate back to DI01 to start working my way up to the official Froyo release. I was able to apply the DL09 update I downloaded to my phone with no issue. Hoever I am having a helluva time finding the EA28 update to download. Does anyone have a good link to download it.

    BTW, my phone is one of the Fascinates that have an obvious OTA update issue.

    Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.
    Ok, when you say you downloaded DL09 to your phone, what exactly do you mean? Was that done OTA or another method? I'm starting to think you should flash your phone back to DI01 and start from the beginning. Once back to DI01 try to OTA again before doing anything else at all.
  2. #127  
    Meltarrus's Avatar

    Posts
    9 Posts
    ROM
    DI01

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FearTheGhost13 View Post
    So you flashed to DI01 or DL09 via odin? If this is the case and you are still not getting the update one suggestion I have is take your phone to a verizon store and have them manually update your phone. Just be sure that you are completely stock before doing so. If that method fails then I'd be led to believe that's a VZW issue.
    I flashed DI01 via odin and downloaded the stock DL09 and updated it in the recovery menu. I have been in touch w/VZW and they are leaning towards sending me a refurb. We will see what they come back with
  3. #128  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Meltarrus View Post
    I flashed DI01 via odin and downloaded the stock DL09 and updated it in the recovery menu. I have been in touch w/VZW and they are leaning towards sending me a refurb. We will see what they come back with
    Ok, so you flashed DL09 in recovery because your phone would not OTA to it? I just read a post that someone had mentioned talking to VZW that ~10,000 phones have a bad serial number or something such as MEID number it's not 100% accurate information as of yet, but it also mentioned that the people having the OTA issue may most likely need to be sent a refurbished phone in order to correctly recieve OTA updates.
  4. #129  
    Landshark's Avatar

    Posts
    4,418 Posts
    ROM
    Infinity & Pool Party

    Default

    Wow, can you say vzw has totally screwed the pooch on this OTA? First it takes them forever to even roll it out. Then when they've had plenty of time to prep for and test this, they somehow didn't see any of these problems?

    Sometimes you go to the circus, sometimes the circus comes to you.
    Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?

    Sometimes you go to the circus...........Sometimes the circus comes to you.

    Instructions on how to flash ROMs, Kernels, Patches, and Mods through clockworkmod recovery, CWM: DroidXcon's CWM Thread

    If you add me on Google+, please list your AC username as a nickname so I know who you are.
  5. #130  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
    Wow, can you say vzw has totally screwed the pooch on this OTA? First it takes them forever to even roll it out. Then when they've had plenty of time to prep for and test this, they somehow didn't see any of these problems?

    Sometimes you go to the circus, sometimes the circus comes to you.
    Lol, that is indeed true Landshark! This is definitely a massive issue on their part! So bad indeed that it may cause them to have to replace 10,000+ phones! That's obsurd. Once we get a little more information on the matter we can confirm that this may be the method that the users having OTA issues may have to take. Though it is very unfortunate.

    I'll keep an eye out to find an official report on the matter and post a link if I find any accurate information.
  6. #131  
    Landshark's Avatar

    Posts
    4,418 Posts
    ROM
    Infinity & Pool Party

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FearTheGhost13 View Post
    Lol, that is indeed true Landshark! This is definitely a massive issue on their part! So bad indeed that it may cause them to have to replace 10,000+ phones! That's obsurd. Once we get a little more information on the matter we can confirm that this may be the method that the users having OTA issues may have to take. Though it is very unfortunate.

    I'll keep an eye out to find an official report on the matter and post a link if I find any accurate information.
    What's really absurd about it is if I have one of the affected phones and I bought it brand new, vzw is telling me they are going to send me a refurbished, USED phone because of their screw up. I know the one I have would also be considered used, but it would have only been used by me. No telling what someone else may have previously done to the refurb phone.
    Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?

    Sometimes you go to the circus...........Sometimes the circus comes to you.

    Instructions on how to flash ROMs, Kernels, Patches, and Mods through clockworkmod recovery, CWM: DroidXcon's CWM Thread

    If you add me on Google+, please list your AC username as a nickname so I know who you are.
  7. #132  
    Meltarrus's Avatar

    Posts
    9 Posts
    ROM
    DI01

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
    What's really absurd about it is if I have one of the affected phones and I bought it brand new, vzw is telling me they are going to send me a refurbished, USED phone because of their screw up. I know the one I have would also be considered used, but it would have only been used by me. No telling what someone else may have previously done to the refurb phone.
    VZW is telling me that if the problem is not resolved by Monday the will give me the choice of a refurbished Droid Incredible or another Fascinate. They actually had the stones to include an LG Ally or Blackberry to my choices. LOL

    Anyone want to weigh in on the best choice? Fascinate or Incredible?
  8. #133  
    Landshark's Avatar

    Posts
    4,418 Posts
    ROM
    Infinity & Pool Party

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Meltarrus View Post
    VZW is telling me that if the problem is not resolved by Monday the will give me the choice of a refurbished Droid Incredible or another Fascinate. They actually had the stones to include an LG Ally or Blackberry to my choices. LOL

    Anyone want to weigh in on the best choice? Fascinate or Incredible?
    OG Incredible has already had it's EOL (End of Life) so probably not going to receive much support there. Incredible 2 due out sometime.............wait for it...........SOON
    Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?

    Sometimes you go to the circus...........Sometimes the circus comes to you.

    Instructions on how to flash ROMs, Kernels, Patches, and Mods through clockworkmod recovery, CWM: DroidXcon's CWM Thread

    If you add me on Google+, please list your AC username as a nickname so I know who you are.
  9. #134  
    papa54's Avatar

    Posts
    590 Posts
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    ROM
    Eclipse 2.0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sfobrien View Post
    Since you are running 2.9.2 I don't think you will get a choice to get the official OTA. Have to be stock Eclair for that.
    oh i know with present setup i can not get official froyo 2.2==
    but i alsoknow how to go back to my roots one might say,but so far i have not seen a thing with those whom have the official 2.2 froyo thats any better than what i have,,,

    i just want to know if Verizon tries to "Push" the update to my phone without my express permission??

    so far i am satisfied as i am...

    a question to the person who said they rooted right after getting the official 2.2 froyo.
    how ? is there an option in AC to do so yet...

    ok everyone keepup the good and bad reports,, some of us are hanging in the side lines..
  10. #135  
    papa54's Avatar

    Posts
    590 Posts
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    ROM
    Eclipse 2.0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bslook View Post
    I have the audio out cable not the USB. I'm told on non Verizon phones there's a settings option. Was also told that it would be provided in Froyo but don't think they did.
    your home charger is a USB cable,, just remove it from the part that is pluged in,,if you are working with a fascinate..
    Last edited by papa54; 04-23-2011 at 02:09 AM. Reason: addition
  11. #136  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by papa54 View Post
    oh i know with present setup i can not get official froyo 2.2==
    but i alsoknow how to go back to my roots one might say,but so far i have not seen a thing with those whom have the official 2.2 froyo thats any better than what i have,,,

    i just want to know if Verizon tries to "Push" the update to my phone without my express permission??

    so far i am satisfied as i am...

    a question to the person who said they rooted right after getting the official 2.2 froyo.
    how ? is there an option in AC to do so yet...

    ok everyone keepup the good and bad reports,, some of us are hanging in the side lines..
    Actually, yes you can root after official 2.2 here's the link to help in doing so: http://forum.androidcentral.com/veri...tml#post700079
  12. #137  
    stilltipin87's Avatar

    Posts
    114 Posts
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    ROM
    CR v2.0/PBJ -50 VD

    Default

    After using SC 2.9.2 for sometime now, I'm really in no rush to upgrade. My phone has been working just fine, except the battery life is pretty iffy here and there. I'm gonna wait it out for the community rom
  13. #138  
    Landshark's Avatar

    Posts
    4,418 Posts
    ROM
    Infinity & Pool Party

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by streebs87 View Post
    After using SC 2.9.2 for sometime now, I'm really in no rush to upgrade. My phone has been working just fine, except the battery life is pretty iffy here and there. I'm gonna wait it out for the community rom
    Nice. Good thinking. All this flashing of everything that comes out will definitely take a toll on battery life. And it can get confusing with all the options out there trying to remember exactly what is in your current setup. It's frustrating getting your phone set up just the way you like it, only to tear it down when something new comes out or whatever. That is why I am getting a second Fascinate to use strictly for problem solving and testing things out for the members here at the forum. That way I can set my phone up just the way I want it, and not mess with it.
    Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?

    Sometimes you go to the circus...........Sometimes the circus comes to you.

    Instructions on how to flash ROMs, Kernels, Patches, and Mods through clockworkmod recovery, CWM: DroidXcon's CWM Thread

    If you add me on Google+, please list your AC username as a nickname so I know who you are.
  14. #139  
    stilltipin87's Avatar

    Posts
    114 Posts
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    ROM
    CR v2.0/PBJ -50 VD

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
    Nice. Good thinking. All this flashing of everything that comes out will definitely take a toll on battery life. And it can get confusing with all the options out there trying to remember exactly what is in your current setup. It's frustrating getting your phone set up just the way you like it, only to tear it down when something new comes out or whatever. That is why I am getting a second Fascinate to use strictly for problem solving and testing things out for the members here at the forum. That way I can set my phone up just the way I want it, and not mess with it.
    Exactly. It's the main reason why I'm gonna wait for the community rom. My phone is set up just perfectly. I'd really hate to start all over again lol.
  15. #140  

    Default VZW pushing to my fascinate

    I have been having a problem with VZW pushing an update to my rooted phone. It finally crashed and wouldn't restart. CWrecovery didn't help and hard resets were usless. Android central had been such an awesome place with a wealth of knowledge. I finally broke down and flashed my phone using Odin on my PC and DI01package3.tar.tar. Brought it back to virgin original state. The update VZW was pushing wasn't for 2.2 , it was something else. I allowed VZW push the update to my virgin phone and then went about updating to 2.2 which can only be done to a unrooted phone and I am very happy I did. I am not sure how drastic a change it is but it is refreshing all of the little changes and ease of use. I am happy I upgraded.Then i proceeded to use "SuperOneClickv1.7-ShortFuse" on my PC to root my new 2.2 ,while rooting it installs "superuser" got my "titanium backup" app and installed my "quadrant standard" app to check the new speed of my phone compared to 2.1 ....tiny bit faster. I then installed "One click Lag Fix" app and rechecked my speed with "Quadrant standard" and One Click Lag Fix more than doubled my Fascinates speed. It is Technically faster than any phone on the market. My Fascinate is running nice and smooth now. Check out for yourself what I have done, it is all in Android central and you won't be sorry
  16. #141  

    Default my experience with update

    Hey, thought I'd report how mine OTA update went:

    phone rooted but stayed with most recent stock rom. Had frozen apps with Titanium Backup, didn't unfreeze before applying update. Installed enhanced google search (bing fox). Running Launcher Pro.

    Found the update after seeing an ad for the Fascinate on Hulu, and wondered "Why are they advertising this phone now? for $100?!" and checked for an update and there it was! Hurried to the forums only to find out that everyone else was already aware.

    Update downloaded and installed without problems. upon restarting got the GAPPS force close over and over again. Phone froze once with all bottom button lit up but screen black. did a battery pull and restarted, same thing happened so I left it be to see what would happen. eventually started up with lock screen. I trudged through the force closes and uninstalled enhanced google search. Rebooted again and they seem to have stopped, though it also came up with the install update blue screen again. I just hit ok and it went back to normal. Seems to be working. Status says 2.2.1 and there new things in the pull down menu so I guess it worked. All of my apps loaded normally. Widgets had to be removed and reapplied. Guess I was pretty lucky.
  17. #142  

    Default

    i'd also like to report that everything feels exactly the same as 2.1 but now the arrows are colored. That's the reason I never changed roms in the first place. The only thing I missed about 2.2 was chrome to phone, and I tried to install that and it's failing to connect. I suppose this is why I stopped coming to the forums in the first place - my phone worked fine and I didn't care about 2.2. So, yeah. Thanks, guys for your help and all.

    edit: chrome to phone required reboot of the phone. Now it works. The thanks wasn't intended as sarcasm. The 2.2 update does seem a little anti-climactic though, given the rage expressed over the delayed update. What was it that everyone was waiting for?

    edit 2: my camera's not working now.
    Last edited by Crunchbot; 04-25-2011 at 04:00 PM. Reason: update
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #143  
    Kevin Gossett's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    1,690 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,688 Global Posts
    ROM
    GummyCharge 1.9.1

    Default

    So I finally got around to flashing back to stock and updating via OTA. I consider myself one of the lucky ones, because I have not had a single issue with my Fascinate since I got it on launch day (knock on wood).

    Was running SC 2.9.2 on Adrynalyne's 3-27 voodoo kernel, so I flashed back to DI01 with Odin, completely starting from scratch. Once that loaded up I updated OTA to EA28, and then to ED01. Everything downloaded fine, updated fine, and loaded up just fine. Just loaded up the deodexed/debloated ED01 from Adrynalyne and restoring apps now. None of the issues people have been mentioning so far have popped up, fingers crossed!
    Telling a member to "search" is not the answer to a question.
  19. #144  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Gossett View Post
    So I finally got around to flashing back to stock and updating via OTA. I consider myself one of the lucky ones, because I have not had a single issue with my Fascinate since I got it on launch day (knock on wood).

    Was running SC 2.9.2 on Adrynalyne's 3-27 voodoo kernel, so I flashed back to DI01 with Odin, completely starting from scratch. Once that loaded up I updated OTA to EA28, and then to ED01. Everything downloaded fine, updated fine, and loaded up just fine. Just loaded up the deodexed/debloated ED01 from Adrynalyne and restoring apps now. None of the issues people have been mentioning so far have popped up, fingers crossed!
    Good luck! Hopefully you will be fine, the only bug I've personally encountered is my alarm clock and it's nothing major imo.
  20. #145  
    jnewell's Avatar

    Posts
    218 Posts
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts

    Default

    Tested the GPS yesterday (stock, OTA 2.2). Works fine...camera is working fine...Flash is working fine...
  21. #146  

    Default

    I asked this in the 'update failed' thread but didn't see an answer. The Samsung person I spoke to said that the 2.2 Froyo update would wipe my phone. Is that correct?

    He was trying to talk me into a hard reset (thus why he was claiming the update would wipe my phone anyway) but I figured that's just SOP and he doesn't care if I wipe my phone. I do care and don't want to have to spend hours rebuilding my phone if it's not necessary.

    Based on some of the problems I'm reading about maybe I should just wait until they work all the bugs out. I'm not one that wants to spend hours piddling with my phone (in fact my blood starts boiling anytime I do, thus my paranoia of a hard reset).
  22. #147  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by keybored View Post
    I have been having a problem with VZW pushing an update to my rooted phone. It finally crashed and wouldn't restart. CWrecovery didn't help and hard resets were usless. Android central had been such an awesome place with a wealth of knowledge. I finally broke down and flashed my phone using Odin on my PC and DI01package3.tar.tar. Brought it back to virgin original state. The update VZW was pushing wasn't for 2.2 , it was something else. I allowed VZW push the update to my virgin phone and then went about updating to 2.2 which can only be done to a unrooted phone and I am very happy I did. I am not sure how drastic a change it is but it is refreshing all of the little changes and ease of use. I am happy I upgraded.Then i proceeded to use "SuperOneClickv1.7-ShortFuse" on my PC to root my new 2.2 ,while rooting it installs "superuser" got my "titanium backup" app and installed my "quadrant standard" app to check the new speed of my phone compared to 2.1 ....tiny bit faster. I then installed "One click Lag Fix" app and rechecked my speed with "Quadrant standard" and One Click Lag Fix more than doubled my Fascinates speed. It is Technically faster than any phone on the market. My Fascinate is running nice and smooth now. Check out for yourself what I have done, it is all in Android central and you won't be sorry
    More info, please. So when you flashed back to DI01, how many steps did you have to take before you were able to update to 2.2? Were you able to do all the updates through VZ or did you have to find the update package and do it yourself?

    I'm in the same boat. I have a rooted 2.1 with the EA28 update. Some people say I can update to 2.2 through VZ as is. Others say I need to return to an unrooted state before I do anything wit VZ. My immediate strategy is to do nothing until I hear something concrete on how to proceed. Any help?
  23. #148  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PromoTheRobot View Post
    More info, please. So when you flashed back to DI01, how many steps did you have to take before you were able to update to 2.2? Were you able to do all the updates through VZ or did you have to find the update package and do it yourself?

    I'm in the same boat. I have a rooted 2.1 with the EA28 update. Some people say I can update to 2.2 through VZ as is. Others say I need to return to an unrooted state before I do anything wit VZ. My immediate strategy is to do nothing until I hear something concrete on how to proceed. Any help?
    I was basically same-same as you except that I had used Super Manager to rename Verizon Bloat; other than that I was rooted, 2.1 & EA28, no custom ROMs or anything fancy.

    When I tried to update, while still rooted, I kept getting the IP_PREVIOUS_UPDATE_FAILED message after the the 2.2 update would get about 1/4 installed. My D/Ls would take around an hour because of the craptastic signal I get at home w/o wifi...

    Finally got sick of it and went ahead and installed Superclean 2.9.2 since that seemed closest to 2.2 at the time but I read about one that's closer since then...

    Tried installing 2.2 5 or 6 times... What might have been my problem was CityID, kept force closing. Don't know if it was another app causing it or... Since I had it disabled after rooting, it didn't cause problems until I brought it back...

    I'm sure I read of at least one 'clean' rooter, (just root nothing else) that updated to 2.2 without a problem.

    bill
  24. #149  
    Rmad's Avatar

    Posts
    3 Posts

    Default

    I tried 5 times to update OTA with root and it kept failing the install. Flashed back to stock and first shot went thru no prob. Full function, gps, cam, etc, seems faster to me ( subjective, I know) but battery is definitely managing better fwiw. And full flash!! (worth it to me by itself) actually think I may run stock a while just to see how it is long term.
  25. #150  

    Default

    Can we use google as default search now?
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions