[ED01 FroYo][SCH-i500] 2.2 Officially Announced by Verizon!

Crunchbot

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
my experience with update

Hey, thought I'd report how mine OTA update went:

phone rooted but stayed with most recent stock rom. Had frozen apps with Titanium Backup, didn't unfreeze before applying update. Installed enhanced google search (bing fox). Running Launcher Pro.

Found the update after seeing an ad for the Fascinate on Hulu, and wondered "Why are they advertising this phone now? for $100?!" and checked for an update and there it was! Hurried to the forums only to find out that everyone else was already aware.

Update downloaded and installed without problems. upon restarting got the GAPPS force close over and over again. Phone froze once with all bottom button lit up but screen black. did a battery pull and restarted, same thing happened so I left it be to see what would happen. eventually started up with lock screen. I trudged through the force closes and uninstalled enhanced google search. Rebooted again and they seem to have stopped, though it also came up with the install update blue screen again. I just hit ok and it went back to normal. Seems to be working. Status says 2.2.1 and there new things in the pull down menu so I guess it worked. All of my apps loaded normally. Widgets had to be removed and reapplied. Guess I was pretty lucky.

Crunchbot

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
i'd also like to report that everything feels exactly the same as 2.1 but now the arrows are colored. That's the reason I never changed roms in the first place. The only thing I missed about 2.2 was chrome to phone, and I tried to install that and it's failing to connect. I suppose this is why I stopped coming to the forums in the first place - my phone worked fine and I didn't care about 2.2. So, yeah. Thanks, guys for your help and all.

edit: chrome to phone required reboot of the phone. Now it works. The thanks wasn't intended as sarcasm. The 2.2 update does seem a little anti-climactic though, given the rage expressed over the delayed update. What was it that everyone was waiting for?

edit 2: my camera's not working now.

Last edited:

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
So I finally got around to flashing back to stock and updating via OTA. I consider myself one of the lucky ones, because I have not had a single issue with my Fascinate since I got it on launch day (knock on wood).

Was running SC 2.9.2 on Adrynalyne's 3-27 voodoo kernel, so I flashed back to DI01 with Odin, completely starting from scratch. Once that loaded up I updated OTA to EA28, and then to ED01. Everything downloaded fine, updated fine, and loaded up just fine. Just loaded up the deodexed/debloated ED01 from Adrynalyne and restoring apps now. None of the issues people have been mentioning so far have popped up, fingers crossed!

FearTheGhost13

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
So I finally got around to flashing back to stock and updating via OTA. I consider myself one of the lucky ones, because I have not had a single issue with my Fascinate since I got it on launch day (knock on wood).

Was running SC 2.9.2 on Adrynalyne's 3-27 voodoo kernel, so I flashed back to DI01 with Odin, completely starting from scratch. Once that loaded up I updated OTA to EA28, and then to ED01. Everything downloaded fine, updated fine, and loaded up just fine. Just loaded up the deodexed/debloated ED01 from Adrynalyne and restoring apps now. None of the issues people have been mentioning so far have popped up, fingers crossed!

Good luck! Hopefully you will be fine, the only bug I've personally encountered is my alarm clock and it's nothing major imo.

emptycube

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I asked this in the 'update failed' thread but didn't see an answer. The Samsung person I spoke to said that the 2.2 Froyo update would wipe my phone. Is that correct?

He was trying to talk me into a hard reset (thus why he was claiming the update would wipe my phone anyway) but I figured that's just SOP and he doesn't care if I wipe my phone. I do care and don't want to have to spend hours rebuilding my phone if it's not necessary.

Based on some of the problems I'm reading about maybe I should just wait until they work all the bugs out. I'm not one that wants to spend hours piddling with my phone (in fact my blood starts boiling anytime I do, thus my paranoia of a hard reset).

PromoTheRobot

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I have been having a problem with VZW pushing an update to my rooted phone. It finally crashed and wouldn't restart. CWrecovery didn't help and hard resets were usless. Android central had been such an awesome place with a wealth of knowledge. I finally broke down and flashed my phone using Odin on my PC and DI01package3.tar.tar. Brought it back to virgin original state. The update VZW was pushing wasn't for 2.2 , it was something else. I allowed VZW push the update to my virgin phone and then went about updating to 2.2 which can only be done to a unrooted phone and I am very happy I did. I am not sure how drastic a change it is but it is refreshing all of the little changes and ease of use. I am happy I upgraded.Then i proceeded to use "SuperOneClickv1.7-ShortFuse" on my PC to root my new 2.2 ,while rooting it installs "superuser" got my "titanium backup" app and installed my "quadrant standard" app to check the new speed of my phone compared to 2.1 ....tiny bit faster. I then installed "One click Lag Fix" app and rechecked my speed with "Quadrant standard" and One Click Lag Fix more than doubled my Fascinates speed. It is Technically faster than any phone on the market. My Fascinate is running nice and smooth now. Check out for yourself what I have done, it is all in Android central and you won't be sorry :)
More info, please. So when you flashed back to DI01, how many steps did you have to take before you were able to update to 2.2? Were you able to do all the updates through VZ or did you have to find the update package and do it yourself?

I'm in the same boat. I have a rooted 2.1 with the EA28 update. Some people say I can update to 2.2 through VZ as is. Others say I need to return to an unrooted state before I do anything wit VZ. My immediate strategy is to do nothing until I hear something concrete on how to proceed. Any help?

txarsoncop

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
More info, please. So when you flashed back to DI01, how many steps did you have to take before you were able to update to 2.2? Were you able to do all the updates through VZ or did you have to find the update package and do it yourself?

I'm in the same boat. I have a rooted 2.1 with the EA28 update. Some people say I can update to 2.2 through VZ as is. Others say I need to return to an unrooted state before I do anything wit VZ. My immediate strategy is to do nothing until I hear something concrete on how to proceed. Any help?

I was basically same-same as you except that I had used Super Manager to rename Verizon Bloat; other than that I was rooted, 2.1 & EA28, no custom ROMs or anything fancy.

When I tried to update, while still rooted, I kept getting the IP_PREVIOUS_UPDATE_FAILED message after the the 2.2 update would get about 1/4 installed. My D/Ls would take around an hour because of the craptastic signal I get at home w/o wifi... :'(

Finally got sick of it and went ahead and installed Superclean 2.9.2 since that seemed closest to 2.2 at the time but I read about one that's closer since then...

Tried installing 2.2 5 or 6 times... What might have been my problem was CityID, kept force closing. Don't know if it was another app causing it or... Since I had it disabled after rooting, it didn't cause problems until I brought it back...:mad:

I'm sure I read of at least one 'clean' rooter, (just root nothing else) that updated to 2.2 without a problem.

bill

Rmad

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I tried 5 times to update OTA with root and it kept failing the install. Flashed back to stock and first shot went thru no prob. Full function, gps, cam, etc, seems faster to me ( subjective, I know) but battery is definitely managing better fwiw. And full flash!! (worth it to me by itself) actually think I may run stock a while just to see how it is long term.

PreceptorJR

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
If you are on official Froyo OTA, you will have both bing and Google and are supposed to have the option o choose which one you want to be your default. Not sure how that is working.

If you go into your widgets, you can activate the Google search/voice search. Then, just drop Bing in the trash can!

backwash

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I have a stock Fascinate running 2.1 and did the forced OTA to the phone. Back up and running in about 15 minutes and have no issues so far. Everything seems to work fine - Thank heavens. Oh yeah, got BING off and Google search on.

russwikoff

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
go figure the time that i don't check the forums at least every other day... when i don't go on for about a week is when the come out with froyo...lol... well.. i have it now... no complaints on my end... phone is running nice and fast with everything stock and flash is working great :) thank you all for your help and support through our time of neglect lol.

PromoTheRobot

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Finally updated to Froyo. Had a rooted phone running EA28. Flashed back to stock using DroidXCon's instructions using Odin. Once back to stock, updating happened in two steps, first to EA28 then to Froyo.

Overall pleased. Starting to notice a few minor annoyances like an app that vanished even though it was backed up. (Also vanished from Android Market...very curious.)

FearTheGhost13

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Finally updated to Froyo. Had a rooted phone running EA28. Flashed back to stock using DroidXCon's instructions using Odin. Once back to stock, updating happened in two steps, first to EA28 then to Froyo.

Overall pleased. Starting to notice a few minor annoyances like an app that vanished even though it was backed up. (Also vanished from Android Market...very curious.)

Was it a tether app? Carriers are cracking down on them and have blocked it from the market, there's a workaround I believe somewhere in these forums.

PromoTheRobot

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Was it a tether app? Carriers are cracking down on them and have blocked it from the market, there's a workaround I believe somewhere in these forums.

Actually it was an app that got you daily comics from newspapers like Dilbert and Doonesbury. Forgot what it was called but it had a dog as a logo. "Daily Comics" or "Daily Funnies." I have PDAnet and it seemed to re-install from backup but I haven't tested it yet. Maybe I should.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie