Its May 2 still no fascinate froyo

FearTheGhost13

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Am I the only one who doesn't have froyo on my fascinate or is the push really slow.

Umm, have you tried going into settings> about phone> system updates and select check now? If you did and it didn't work then you have one of the many phones that aren't recieving the update... You will need to either contact verizon about it or take the plunge and learn how to flash custom roms etc. You can find a vast amount of resources on that within these forums. But if stock Froyo is what you want try the method I explained if that doesn't work then you need to contact VZW.

FearTheGhost13

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
are you fully stock , what build are you on, you can just use the update.zip way of getting it

Hey DroidX, can you explain to me how that works exactly? That's something I don't know much about and would like to know incase it ever becomes relevant to me or is needed in answering future questions. Thanks in advance!

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Hey DroidX, can you explain to me how that works exactly? That's something I don't know much about and would like to know incase it ever becomes relevant to me or is needed in answering future questions. Thanks in advance!

when you get the OTA update you get it in the form of an update.zip file but its automatically executed and removed so you never see it . Adrynalyne or someone either was given the update.zip or he pulls it before its executed.

[NOTE]So if you are completely stock DL09 , there is an update.zip to take you from DL09 to EA28
So to go from DL09 to EA28 you use this update.zip file :
[/NOTE]

[NOTE]Now if you are completely stock EA28 there is an update.zip to take you to ED01
So to go from EA28 you use this update.zip file:
[/NOTE]

[WARN]Be sure to be careful and remember which update.zip is what since they are named the same it is easy to mix them up, i suggest putting them in their own folders on your computer so you do not mix them up trying to go from DL09 to ED01 will just cause failures[/WARN]

How to flash an update.zip file:
  • the update.zip file must be placed on your sd card not in any folders
  • Shut your phone down
  • Press and hold Volume up + down +powerbutton, you will see Samsung flash twice on the second flash let go of the buttons
  • This will lead you into stock recovery, use the volume button to highlight apply sdcard:update.zip
  • Then hit the home button , the system will now flash and update your device, it will reboot once its done you are now updated

[INFO]Q :
Some people ask why they need clockwork recovery, why cant i just name the rom update.zip and use the method outlined above?
A:
Because Stock recovery will only flash .zip files that are officially signed by Samsung/Verizon. If it does not see the digital signature it will just fail during flash. This is why custom recovery systems are needed.[/INFO]

will it work with a Mac

If you are completely stock and either on DL09 or EA28 builds you can download the respective update.zip and place it on your sd card , since you are not using the computer it flash it does not matter.

FearTheGhost13

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
when you get the OTA update you get it in the form of an update.zip file but its automatically executed and removed so you never see it . Adrynalyne or someone either was given the update.zip or he pulls it before its executed.

[NOTE]So if you are completely stock DL09 , there is an update.zip to take you from DL09 to EA28
So to go from DL09 to EA28 you use this update.zip file :
[/NOTE]

[NOTE]Now if you are completely stock EA28 there is an update.zip to take you to ED01
So to go from EA28 you use this update.zip file:
[/NOTE]

[WARN]Be sure to be careful and remember which update.zip is what since they are named the same it is easy to mix them up, i suggest putting them in their own folders on your computer so you do not mix them up trying to go from DL09 to ED01 will just cause failures[/WARN]

How to flash an update.zip file:
  • the update.zip file must be placed on your sd card not in any folders
  • Shut your phone down
  • Press and hold Volume up + down +powerbutton, you will see Samsung flash twice on the second flash let go of the buttons
  • This will lead you into stock recovery, use the volume button to highlight apply sdcard:update.zip
  • Then hit the home button , the system will now flash and update your device, it will reboot once its done you are now updated

[INFO]Q :
Some people ask why they need clockwork recovery, why cant i just name the rom update.zip and use the method outlined above?
A:
Because Stock recovery will only flash .zip files that are officially signed by Samsung/Verizon. If it does not see the digital signature it will just fail during flash. This is why custom recovery systems are needed.[/INFO]

If you are completely stock and either on DL09 or EA28 builds you can download the respective update.zip and place it on your sd card , since you are not using the computer it flash it does not matter.

Oh alright! That's actually pretty darn simple! Thanks DXcon, I'll add that to the endlest list of knowledge I've gained from these forums! :)

patsfan

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm on DH12 and appear to that have one of those phones that cannot get OTA updates. The phone works well otherwise so I'd rather not go to VZW and get a refurb. Can I use this update.zip file method to go from DH12 to stock ED01.

Thanks in advance.

JClark

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I tried unsuccessfully using DroidXcon's method to update from EA28 to ED01. There was an option in recovery to factory reset the phone. Should I do that first and then do the update from my sd card?

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm on DH12 and appear to that have one of those phones that cannot get OTA updates. The phone works well otherwise so I'd rather not go to VZW and get a refurb. Can I use this update.zip file method to go from DH12 to stock ED01.

Thanks in advance.

Yes, you can use this method to go from DH12 to ED01

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I tried unsuccessfully using DroidXcon's method to update from EA28 to ED01. There was an option in recovery to factory reset the phone. Should I do that first and then do the update from my sd card?

You shouldn't need to do a factory reset. You should be able to save the ED01 update.zip file as simply "update" on the base or root of your sd card, boot to stock blue (2e) recovery, scroll to apply sdcard:update.zip, hit the home soft key, and just let the update run.

patsfan

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
Earlier in this thread there are two links for update.zip files. One to go from stock DL09 to EA28, and another to go from EA28 to ED01. Since I'm on stock DH12, how would it work for me? Do I use the the first update.zip file to go from DH12 to EA28, and then use the second update.zip file to ED01?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
DL09 ODIN file

Preperation for odin(Just dont use the DI01 file provided, use the DL09 file i just provided)

Visual directions on use ODIN

1.) If your phone is plugged into your computer, unplug it now.
2.) If your phone is not powered down, power it down now.
3.) Remove battery from phone.
4.) Launch ODIN on PC.
5.) Plug USB cable into phone.
6.) Plug your Fascinate into the PC via USB cable.
7.) Press and hold the volume-down key until you see a gigantic yellow triangle and your phone will be in download mode.(Please see 2nd picture in post #5)You can now release the volume key. At this point you will see a yellow com port in the upper left hand corner of the Odin applicate. .(Please see 3rd picture in post #5)

8.) Click on the PDA button in ODIN

Triple check that you pushed the PDA button. Do NOT click the Phone button p If you choose Phone, you will have bought your Fascinate a one-way ticket to hell.

9.) Choose the DL09 tar file you downloaded & click the Start button.(this should take approx 3 to 6mins)
10.) Phone will power down when finished.
11.) Remove USB cable.
12.) Reinsert battery.
13.) Power phone and wait to boot approx 4mins

patsfan

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
DL09 ODIN file

Preperation for odin(Just dont use the DI01 file provided, use the DL09 file i just provided)

Visual directions on use ODIN

1.) If your phone is plugged into your computer, unplug it now.
2.) If your phone is not powered down, power it down now.
3.) Remove battery from phone.
4.) Launch ODIN on PC.
5.) Plug USB cable into phone.
6.) Plug your Fascinate into the PC via USB cable.
7.) Press and hold the volume-down key until you see a gigantic yellow triangle and your phone will be in download mode.(Please see 2nd picture in post #5)You can now release the volume key. At this point you will see a yellow com port in the upper left hand corner of the Odin applicate. .(Please see 3rd picture in post #5)

8.) Click on the PDA button in ODIN

Triple check that you pushed the PDA button. Do NOT click the Phone button p If you choose Phone, you will have bought your Fascinate a one-way ticket to hell.

9.) Choose the DL09 tar file you downloaded & click the Start button.(this should take approx 3 to 6mins)
10.) Phone will power down when finished.
11.) Remove USB cable.
12.) Reinsert battery.
13.) Power phone and wait to boot approx 4mins

Do I need to root before following this procedure, or will these steps be enough alone to take me to DL09?

Thanks again for the help.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc