Got the Fascinate, Some Questions

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
Hey everyone! I just received the used Samsung fascinate that I bought off of Ebay. Everything is incredible with it, except for a few minor issues that I do not know if they are inherent to the phone or simply problems with my unit itself. First and foremost, the speaker quality during a phonecall is not the greatest. When I talk to another person, there is a slight metallic sound to the voice, very small but still noticeable. It kinda sounds metallic/like a slightly vibrating metallic part. I can hear it a bit when I talk as well.

The second is not so much an issue. I am coming from the Moto Droid, and whenever I connected that phone to the charger (AC Outlet), it simply indicated that the phone is charging. When, however, I plug the Fascinate into the wall charger, the USB Computer connection icon and notification pop up in the notification bar. Is this normal?

The phone is running the newest Froyo update, and everything else seems to be running great. Thanks for the help! If these are indeed problems, I guess I'll just have to learn to live with them. Even with these minor nuisances, the phone is lightyears better than my Droid. Thanks Again!

FearTheGhost13

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone! I just received the used Samsung fascinate that I bought off of Ebay. Everything is incredible with it, except for a few minor issues that I do not know if they are inherent to the phone or simply problems with my unit itself. First and foremost, the speaker quality during a phonecall is not the greatest. When I talk to another person, there is a slight metallic sound to the voice, very small but still noticeable. It kinda sounds metallic/like a slightly vibrating metallic part. I can hear it a bit when I talk as well.

The second is not so much an issue. I am coming from the Moto Droid, and whenever I connected that phone to the charger (AC Outlet), it simply indicated that the phone is charging. When, however, I plug the Fascinate into the wall charger, the USB Computer connection icon and notification pop up in the notification bar. Is this normal?

The phone is running the newest Froyo update, and everything else seems to be running great. Thanks for the help! If these are indeed problems, I guess I'll just have to learn to live with them. Even with these minor nuisances, the phone is lightyears better than my Droid. Thanks Again!

The sound issue you're referring to I haven't experienced myself and I don't think that's normal... hopefully a signal related thing or some sort of crossfeed that won't continue to happen.

The charging thing, I had that happen to me once last night for the first time ever.. Plugged my phone into the AC charger and low and behold the usb debugging and usb connected icons popped up in the status bar like I had plugged it into my computer. It hasn't happened since so I can't say I know for sure why or how it happened. But I definitely don't believe it's normal or suppose to happen at all. I haven't read or heard any reports of anyone else having this happen. Hopefully it's very minor. Is it happening for you everytime you plug into the AC charger?

Reactions: luke31

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
The sound issue you're referring to I haven't experienced myself and I don't think that's normal... hopefully a signal related thing or some sort of crossfeed that won't continue to happen.

The charging thing, I had that happen to me once last night for the first time ever.. Plugged my phone into the AC charger and low and behold the usb debugging and usb connected icons popped up in the status bar like I had plugged it into my computer. It hasn't happened since so I can't say I know for sure why or how it happened. But I definitely don't believe it's normal or suppose to happen at all. I haven't read or heard any reports of anyone else having this happen. Hopefully it's very minor. Is it happening for you everytime you plug into the AC charger?

Nope, I just plugged it in right now, and the USB debugging icon did not pop up. I guess it's a minor software glitch that happens occasionally, doesn't seem like too big of a problem. As for the slightly digitalized/metallic sound, it's not a huge problem. The worst part about it is when I need to use the Fascinate in the wind, the sound becomes more distorted because of the problem. Perhaps I'll try to pair the phone with my bluetooth headset and see if it still occurs. Hopefully it's just some software issue.

FearTheGhost13

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Nope, I just plugged it in right now, and the USB debugging icon did not pop up. I guess it's a minor software glitch that happens occasionally, doesn't seem like too big of a problem. As for the slightly digitalized/metallic sound, it's not a huge problem. The worst part about it is when I need to use the Fascinate in the wind, the sound becomes more distorted because of the problem. Perhaps I'll try to pair the phone with my bluetooth headset and see if it still occurs. Hopefully it's just some software issue.

It's likely that with it being a used phone that the previous owner may of used the phone speaker a lot and over time it has weakened. That's probably the cause to the sound, it's similar to a blown out speaker.

FearTheGhost13

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Btw do you maybe have voice privacy enabled in your call settings?

Yeah, I believe I do, I'm actually on the phone with someone right now tho, I'll double check when I'm off and edit this post to verify for sure if I do or not.

Update: Yes I have voice privacy enabled in my call settings. And the phone call I was just on it was clear the entire length of the call, no distortions of any kind. Like I mentioned before, with it being used it's very likely the speaker has taken some sort of damage, maybe the phone had a fall with the previous owner and something became loose. There's a lot of possibilities, but I don't think it's related to the software, it's more than likely hardware related.

Last edited:

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I believe I do, I'm actually on the phone with someone right now tho, I'll double check when I'm off and edit this post to verify for sure if I do or not.

Update: Yes I have voice privacy enabled in my call settings. And the phone call I was just on it was clear the entire length of the call, no distortions of any kind. Like I mentioned before, with it being used it's very likely the speaker has taken some sort of damage, maybe the phone had a fall with the previous owner and something became loose. There's a lot of possibilities, but I don't think it's related to the software, it's more than likely hardware related.

Oh well, it's really barely noticeable, and I'm not really obsessing over it. Sometimes I feel like it's not even there, so for now I don't mind too much. Time to root this thing :D

FearTheGhost13

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Oh well, it's really barely noticeable, and I'm not really obsessing over it. Sometimes I feel like it's not even there, so for now I don't mind too much. Time to root this thing :D

Alright, good luck :) If you have any questions just be sure to ask in the appropriate thread, you should be able to find what you're looking for tho :)

cfox10

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
From my understanding, the USB power plug 'issue' happens when the phone sees power and doesn't pick up on which voltage it's being connected to, yet it displays what it thinks it is..which is incorrect.
I assume it's not a big deal, I say assume because I'm not sure if the phone is expecting a lower voltage coming in when it displays the USB mode stuff, and I'm not sure if feeding it the higher voltage while it expects a low voltage is bad.
It happens to me often times after I've had it plugged into the computer then switch to wall outlet. Seems like the phone doesn't register which is which right away?

FearTheGhost13

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
From my understanding, the USB power plug 'issue' happens when the phone sees power and doesn't pick up on which voltage it's being connected to, yet it displays what it thinks it is..which is incorrect.
I assume it's not a big deal, I say assume because I'm not sure if the phone is expecting a lower voltage coming in when it displays the USB mode stuff, and I'm not sure if feeding it the higher voltage while it expects a low voltage is bad.
It happens to me often times after I've had it plugged into the computer then switch to wall outlet. Seems like the phone doesn't register which is which right away?

Yeah that sounds like pretty much the exact scenario for when it happened to me. I don't feel it's anything to be concerned about unless the problem becomes more severe. Then I would look into a different usb cable first before looking at the phone as the culprit.

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
So I heard of the fascinate gps woes, but I was under the impression that the froyo update fixed most of them. Well, when using google maps,i can never get a gps location. It always estimates and triangulates my location rather inaccurately. I have all location settings on, and I tried the GPS status app, but nothing seems to work. Will comm rom fix this, or do I have a permanently unusable fascinate gps?

MegaSoundwave76

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
So I heard of the fascinate gps woes, but I was under the impression that the froyo update fixed most of them. Well, when using google maps,i can never get a gps location. It always estimates and triangulates my location rather inaccurately. I have all location settings on, and I tried the GPS status app, but nothing seems to work. Will comm rom fix this, or do I have a permanently unusable fascinate gps?

This may be one of the truly broken Fascinates with the GPS issues (where it could take up to 15 minutes for the darn thing to lock on). Or something physically happened to it like when I lightly dropped my first Fascinate from about 6 inches onto carpet. No kidding on this one. The GPS stopped working right after that. May have jarred the GPS chip set loose. I didn't take it apart to investigate it (because, heck, it's under warranty) so I called Verizon and they sent me a new one. Well, either that

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
This may be one of the truly broken Fascinates with the GPS issues (where it could take up to 15 minutes for the darn thing to lock on). Or something physically happened to it like when I lightly dropped my first Fascinate from about 6 inches onto carpet. No kidding on this one. The GPS stopped working right after that. May have jarred the GPS chip set loose. I didn't take it apart to investigate it (because, heck, it's under warranty) so I called Verizon and they sent me a new one. Well, either that

Now all of a sudden it has started working, just like that... I'm so confused, but I won't question it lol.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay