Verizon data plan if rooted

jobzombi

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Would rooting a Fascinate allow me to change the status section, to manually change the phone number and other settings to get verizon service? Also I assume there is something in the programming that allows verizon to know that I am activating an android device, can this be removed? so as for it to think it is just a regular phone.I have WiFi almost everywhere that I am normally at so I do not need, nor want, a 3g data plan, VRZN requires it. I'm sure there is a hack way to do it and I don't care to tinker around if it means it ultimately works.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Would rooting a Fascinate allow me to change the status section, to manually change the phone number and other settings to get verizon service? Also I assume there is something in the programming that allows verizon to know that I am activating an android device, can this be removed? so as for it to think it is just a regular phone.I have WiFi almost everywhere that I am normally at so I do not need, nor want, a 3g data plan, VRZN requires it. I'm sure there is a hack way to do it and I don't care to tinker around if it means it ultimately works.

Do you still want phone service? If so then no you cannot hack the phone to emulate just a dumb phone

jobzombi

May 10, 2011
Visit site
So the ESN itself has the coding that states it is an Android phone? I am seeing this more like a car's VIN, in that the numbers and letters are more than just random, but precise depending on the make, model and year. If this is the case then yeah I can see where it would not work, as the one thing that lets verizon know and be able to locate my phone is the same thing that tells it was OS it uses. I thought maybe being an Android OS, a file was working to let Verizon know the type of OS it was, in which case it could be altered while the ESN remained untouch and Verizon would not know whether the ESN belonged to a clam shell or a droid.

jobzombi

May 10, 2011
Visit site
So they can still activate my ESN and overlook the fact that it is a smartphone. MAybe a friend of mine at verizon can do this? I believed that the either some scripting in the Andoid source code may tell the carrier it is an android or that the ESN included this info, but if it can be overlooked maybe they can still activate it without a data plan. Thats what I was hoping to do, manually alter the code to designate it my phone number and other data required for me to get service.

jobzombi

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I found I site where I can manually enter my MIN/MDN to activate it manually:

Android News: How to manually program the Samsung Fascinate

I tried doing this but as it is stated, but according to this sites quide for a motorola:

How to Manually Program Your Verizon Motorola Android Phone - Associated Content from Yahoo! - associatedcontent.com

You also want to change your MEID. I can't seem to do it using the methond listed for the fascinate. I followed their steps and it rebooted, but when I tried making a call it said that my phone could not be verified.

Any ideas?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12