No phone/data, radio off -- help!

kalnel#WN

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Woke up this morning with no cell signal at all. I rebooted the phone, and it showed the date as December 31, 1999 and time as 3 AM. When I try to make a call, I get a message that the phone is in airplane mode, which it isn't.

The wi-fi radio connected with no problem, but I can't seem to get the cell to turn on. (The Mobile Data box IS turned on in the pull down menu.)

Any ideas how I can turn the radio on? I've rebooted several times and toggled the Mobile Data button, but that isn't doing anything. When I tried turning Airplane mode on and off, it hung when trying to turn on.

FYI, I'm running DL30. Other details are:

In device status:
Phone number: Unknown
MIN: Unknown
PRL Version: Not available
ERI version: Not available
MEID: Unknown
Network: Unknown
Signal strength: 0 dBn
Mobile Network Type: Unknown
Service state: Radio off
Roaming: Not roaming
Mobile network state: Disconnected

On About Phone:
Hardware version: Unknown
Model number: SCH-I500
Firmware: 2.2.1
Baseband version: Unknown
Kernel version: 2.6.32.9
Build number: SCH-I500.DL30

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Going to need to flash to DL09 and over the OTA update to ED03 ....or flash Just a new modem using odin which will save you from wiping your phone.

Either way you need to use odin

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

lbrenes

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
No need to flash anything, happens to me often. Take the battery out, wait a couple minutes, boot the phone. SHould be ok after this, at least it always does for me. Make sure you do this at a place where you have good reception.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
No need to flash anything, happens to me often. Take the battery out, wait a couple minutes, boot the phone. SHould be ok after this, at least it always does for me. Make sure you do this at a place where you have good reception.

This works sometimes aswell. But usually when it says baseband un known its best to flash a new modem. best to get away from DL30 modem anyway

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Mark Spitz

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
I know it's been a couple of year's since this post, but I was having exactly the same problem and determined that it was the roaming mode set to automatic and not to Sprint. Forcing it to use Sprint will give you back your service. You can then switch it back to "automatic." More specifically, go to Settings "More ..." -> Roaming -> Roaming Mode, and then change the settings there.

Hope this helps someone out there ...

Woke up this morning with no cell signal at all. I rebooted the phone, and it showed the date as December 31, 1999 and time as 3 AM. When I try to make a call, I get a message that the phone is in airplane mode, which it isn't.

The wi-fi radio connected with no problem, but I can't seem to get the cell to turn on. (The Mobile Data box IS turned on in the pull down menu.)

Any ideas how I can turn the radio on? I've rebooted several times and toggled the Mobile Data button, but that isn't doing anything. When I tried turning Airplane mode on and off, it hung when trying to turn on.

In device status:

On About Phone:

critofur

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm on T-Mobile w/Galaxy S3, but I was getting the same problem [Service State: Radio Off] this morning. Pulled my battery, waited a few seconds, powered the phone back up - now it's fine. Just rebooting had not fixed it.

aboldham

Nov 26, 2016
Visit site
I am having the same problem any ideas I have tried everything

I encountered this problem today, as well, on my HTC One Remix and am currently searching possibilities. I was led here and hope either I can figure it out or someone can help.
The only thing I think happened was that the battery ran down and phone shut itself down. I restarted after charging for 20-30 minutes and noticed the cell antenna icon never registered a signal. I restarted phone again and it still did not show a signal afterwards. Upon looking into phone settings and status, I see mobile data is not on and I cannot turn it on in the quick access settings page from the drop down menu, but within the settings page it is set to 'on'. Then, on the phone properties page, it says the radio is off.
The advised solution on this page is to pull the battery for a moment but my battery is contained so I suppose the best option right now is to run my phone down until it shuts itself off, then charge and reboot again.
I will report my findings and wish you luck Natiesha.

aboldham

Nov 26, 2016
Visit site
Ok. I restarted phone in Safe Mode and had radio on. Restarted to exit Safe Mode and still had radio on, so whatever caused seems to be eliviated so far. My cache was cleared and I'll have to find what all has been reset (like my keyboard, notably thus far) and set things back how they were, hopefully without screwing up my antenna again.
Cheers,everyone.

umesh fatta

Jun 3, 2017
Visit site

In device status:

On About Phone:

umesh fatta

Jun 3, 2017
Visit site

In device status:

On About Phone:

aboldham

Nov 26, 2016
Visit site
Safe mode and restart may have been a fluke. I now have an LG, forget the name, vs980 and I have the same radio off problem.
It started where restart restored it. Eventually it took several restarts. Now I'm restarting it all damn day and nothing. Went into safe mode and no radio, restarted and needles to say, nothing.
I most recently got it to restart and work after bending it somewhat towards the screen. Sure probably not good for it and now that doesn't 'work' either. I have to figure it is hardware and the just right twist or bump temporary alleviates the issue, but maybe I'm wrong.
This phone is a hand me down and I am not paying $100 ins deductible to get a new phone that gave me issues from the start.
Maybe I'll call VZ support, but I don't expect them to help beyond pointing me to either an insurance claim or a new phone I can't afford.

aboldham

Nov 26, 2016
Visit site
Had this issue with an LG G3 via Sprint. The resolution to this issue according to the sprint store is to type ##Update # in the call dialer. Confirmed working.

How you going to type a word into the phone dialpad? Not an option on mine. I used the numbers associated with the letters and was told I needed to take my phone out of airplane mode to place a call. I also used *228 to request an update and it said it worked, with no new update found, but it did nothing for the radio.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol