Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    CP2

Carrier
    stock (for now)

Default Completely Dead / Nonresponsive screen after timeout?

I installed CommROM 1.3 over 1.2 last week, and I really haven't had too many issues with it, until Thursday. On Thursday, I got off of a phone call, and the phone wouldn't allow me to close the call - it just sat with a complete blank screen, the power button was nonresponsive & the capacitive buttons at the bottom wouldn't light when touched. I had to pull the battery to get it to reboot.

Yesterday & today, this behavior has continued. I can restart the phone, it'll work properly as long as the phone is on, but if I leave it timed out for more than 15 minutes without use, it becomes completely nonresponsive. Moreover, it will completely drain the battery but the battery usage doesn't show up when I restart the phone, so I don't know what's causing it. Yesterday, I went from a fully charged battery to 22% in about two hours without me touching it. Normally I can get 12-14hrs on a charge with normal use, more if I don't use it.

Last night I happened to be talking on the phone again - and it worked fine for the first 20 minutes or so, I was able to pull it away from my ear and use it, but I talked for another while and while my phone conversation continued, no other functions were available, and again the capacitive buttons wouldn't light or respond.

It's gotten to the point where I can no longer rely on the phone unless I keep it plugged in so the screen continues to have power. What's going on here? I haven't changed anything.

Carrier
    GummyCharged

What are your voltage settings? Go to voltage control and display those, that sounds like it may be the issue. Other issues, are you overclocking or underclocking with any apps at all? Underclocking causes that too. What's your Kernel, baseband and/or build number?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    CP2

Carrier
    stock (for now)

I haven't changed anything from the stock settings on CommRom 1.3. I've looked at the Voltage Control app, but I have no idea what it means. When I pull it up, it says Scheduler: sio Limit clock to: 1000Mhz, which I believe is stock, right? I'm on 2.6.32.9, ED01.

Carrier
    Infinity & Pool Party

Quote Originally Posted by CP2 View Post
    I haven't changed anything from the stock settings on CommRom 1.3. I've looked at the Voltage Control app, but I have no idea what it means. When I pull it up, it says Scheduler: sio Limit clock to: 1000Mhz, which I believe is stock, right? I'm on 2.6.32.9, ED01.
    Sounds like you have a touch of Sleep of Death (SOD) Try reflashing the ROM. If that doesn't do it, you may have to flash a different kernel.

Carrier
    GummyCharged

Quote Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
    Sounds like you have a touch of Sleep of Death (SOD) Try reflashing the ROM. If that doesn't do it, you may have to flash a different kernel.
    Hey Shark, doesn't the comm rom come with an undervolted/overclocked kernel built in with the flash? I don't remember, haven't looked for a while but I thought it did.. maybe his phone doesn't do well with the undervolted side of things? Sorry if that's wrong, that's just the issue I had for a little while. Otherwise, carry on, you have far more experience with this than I do.

Carrier
    Infinity & Pool Party

Quote Originally Posted by cfox10 View Post
    Hey Shark, doesn't the comm rom come with an undervolted/overclocked kernel built in with the flash? I don't remember, haven't looked for a while but I thought it did.. maybe his phone doesn't do well with the undervolted side of things? Sorry if that's wrong, that's just the issue I had for a little while. Otherwise, carry on, you have far more experience with this than I do.
    Hey, the only way you're going to learn is by doing exactly what you are doing, which is what I did. Jump in and help whenever you can and don't be afraid to keep asking questions. I still ask a ton of questions. Yes, the OTB kernel included with Comm ROM is capable of being overclocked and undervolted. But if you open voltage control for the first time you will notice the voltage next to all the steps now says stock. Until you change the clock limit to something over 1000 Mhz or lower the voltage settings, it is still at stock settings and not undervolted or overclocked at all.

Global Posts
    499 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Jelly Belly

+1 to what shark said about reflashing. Pair that with a triple cache/dalvik wipe (prior to reflash) and you should be good to go!
    Landshark likes this.

Carrier
    AOKP Devil 40.1

Check this out. I have had a lot of issues with this and have discovered it to be the YouMail APP. Not sure if you are running youmail, but since removing it, I have had 0 SOD. This is a very in depth look at the SOD issues and believe me, we have searched everything to fix it.

I would recommend the steps we took in this link.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/veri...clean-2-x.html
    Landshark likes this.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  
    CP2

Carrier
    stock (for now)

Interesting.... I use Youmail. I'm going to have to check that out.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

sucks huh

Carrier
    AOKP Devil 40.1

Interesting.... I use Youmail. I'm going to have to check that out.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
    Does not effect everyone, just a small few.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  
    CP2

Carrier
    stock (for now)

Well, I've had Youmail since I had my Blackberry Storm, it was probably one of the first apps I installed on my Fascinate, and I've never had issues with it.

I had thought that it might have been related since I got my first voicemail on Thursday that I've received in recent memory (I don't get much VM) and I hadn't listened to it. It was around the same time this problem started.

I went in and listened to it, even tried to tweak my settings, and it acted good from then until just now - when it locked up again. I really would prefer not to uninstall YM.

Yesterday while I was troubleshooting, I flashed Kaoscinate V7 on, and while I had a bear of a time getting it on there, I was unable to get busybox or Titanium Backup to run so I reverted to my backup of the setup I was running yesterday, and the issue persists. Oddly, from CM7 I had to wipe, reflash CommRom 1.0, then 1.2 - 1.3 wouldn't boot for some reason, it only gave me the Samsung startup screen but then wouldn't proceed.

Carrier
    AOKP Devil 40.1

Well, I've had Youmail since I had my Blackberry Storm, it was probably one of the first apps I installed on my Fascinate, and I've never had issues with it.

I had thought that it might have been related since I got my first voicemail on Thursday that I've received in recent memory (I don't get much VM) and I hadn't listened to it. It was around the same time this problem started.

I went in and listened to it, even tried to tweak my settings, and it acted good from then until just now - when it locked up again. I really would prefer not to uninstall YM.

Yesterday while I was troubleshooting, I flashed Kaoscinate V7 on, and while I had a bear of a time getting it on there, I was unable to get busybox or Titanium Backup to run so I reverted to my backup of the setup I was running yesterday, and the issue persists. Oddly, from CM7 I had to wipe, reflash CommRom 1.0, then 1.2 - 1.3 wouldn't boot for some reason, it only gave me the Samsung startup screen but then wouldn't proceed.
    Doing the kaos rom is a lot more in depth then I have time for.

your problem is there since you backed up a rom that has the problem. Wipe data, reflash comm rom, then upgrade to 1.3. Do not install youmail. I put a link to the mobile website in. my home screen. I also have youmail send an email to me when a voicemail comes in. youmail is changing their website for full functions on the mobile side, so I wonder if it is a known issue.

I never had the problem running stock roms. Youmail worked perfect, but once I go custom, it goes into SOD coma. I love youmail and what I have set up is still a great way to use it. The email of the message is actually a lot louder when it plays too.

Carrier
    Vanilla GingerBread v8

Curley, thank you so much for the youmail tip...I uninstalled it like 30 minutes ago, and no more SOD's...yet! LOL

I'll report back if another SOD happen...so far, so good. Thanks again.

Carrier
    Vanilla GingerBread v8

Reporting back. No more SOD after removing youmail 5 hours ago...very interesting!

Any ideas why?
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  
    CP2

Carrier
    stock (for now)

Quote Originally Posted by curley View Post
    Doing the kaos rom is a lot more in depth then I have time for.

your problem is there since you backed up a rom that has the problem. Wipe data, reflash comm rom, then upgrade to 1.3. Do not install youmail. I put a link to the mobile website in. my home screen. I also have youmail send an email to me when a voicemail comes in. youmail is changing their website for full functions on the mobile side, so I wonder if it is a known issue.

I never had the problem running stock roms. Youmail worked perfect, but once I go custom, it goes into SOD coma. I love youmail and what I have set up is still a great way to use it. The email of the message is actually a lot louder when it plays too.

Thanks for the suggestions - I had actually tried what you suggested, but for some reason CommRom 1.3 would not upgrade via CWMR at all. The system would just sit there at the Samsung logo and not proceed.

I had to use one of the ODIN packages - I actually had to go all the way back to stock ED01 first then put CommRom 1.3 over it to make it work. then I restored everything from Titanium Backup. I restored everything - including YouMail, and I haven't had a hangup yet, though I'm still working out details of the restore & getting my apps sorted.

I've had what appears to be the 'screen of death' three times within the last week when it's never happened before. I press the power button to 'wake' it up and nothing happens. I either take the battery out or press the power and up volume button to reboot the phone.

I use the regular stock Froyo. It seems that the 'fixes' in this thread apply to someone with a custom build. I do not use YouMail. Any suggestions?

Carrier
    AOKP Devil 40.1

Quote Originally Posted by mightyjimmy View Post
    I've had what appears to be the 'screen of death' three times within the last week when it's never happened before. I press the power button to 'wake' it up and nothing happens. I either take the battery out or press the power and up volume button to reboot the phone.

I use the regular stock Froyo. It seems that the 'fixes' in this thread apply to someone with a custom build. I do not use YouMail. Any suggestions?
    Start removing apps until you find the one that is causing it. When you are running stock Froyo, some apps do not work nice with it.