1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Unable to Update GRRRR

I wanted to simply run the OTA update for 2.2. I backed up my pictures, music and other stuff off the phone. Completed the data erase in the privacy menu, completed a factory reset in the boot menu.

I then started the phone, went to run the update. It downloaded the update, restarted into the install, and fails after the verifying update line.

Any help? I'm feeling pissed I wiped my phone, and still can't get the update!!!

Thanks,

Kyle

ROM
    Infinity & Pool Party

Quote Originally Posted by ksw144 View Post
    I wanted to simply run the OTA update for 2.2. I backed up my pictures, music and other stuff off the phone. Completed the data erase in the privacy menu, completed a factory reset in the boot menu.

I then started the phone, went to run the update. It downloaded the update, restarted into the install, and fails after the verifying update line.

Any help? I'm feeling pissed I wiped my phone, and still can't get the update!!!

Thanks,

Kyle
    What were you running beforehand and why did you feel the need to do the wipes?
    Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?

Sometimes you go to the circus...........Sometimes the circus comes to you.

Instructions on how to flash ROMs, Kernels, Patches, and Mods through clockworkmod recovery, CWM: DroidXcon's CWM Thread

If you add me on Google+, please list your AC username as a nickname so I know who you are.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

The error screen says;
    IP_PREVIOUS_UPDATE_FAILED
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I had rooted the phone, which in some reading, made me think blocked the OTA updates. Then I realized, I really only used tether, and could go without, for the convenience of updates happening all on their own. I had been thinking about going back to factory anyway, and thought this would be a nice way to start fresh.

ROM
    Infinity & Pool Party

I had rooted the phone, which in some reading, made me think blocked the OTA updates. Then I realized, I really only used tether, and could go without, for the convenience of updates happening all on their own. I had been thinking about going back to factory anyway, and thought this would be a nice way to start fresh.
    If you were stock and rooted, all you had to do to get the OTA was unroot. At this point, your best bet is to flash back to DL09 and let the phone automatically OTA up to ED01. Do you have the ODIN application downloaded on your computer? Do you have the current samsung drivers installed on your computer?
    Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?

Instructions on how to flash ROMs, Kernels, Patches, and Mods through clockworkmod recovery, CWM: DroidXcon's CWM Thread

If you add me on Google+, please list your AC username as a nickname so I know who you are.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
    If you were stock and rooted, all you had to do to get the OTA was unroot. At this point, your best bet is to flash back to DL09 and let the phone automatically OTA up to ED01. Do you have the ODIN application downloaded on your computer? Do you have the current samsung drivers installed on your computer?
    To be totally honest, I think I'm a little over my head, and don't have the patience, which is why I thought the factory reset would put me back to ***** land... I still have Odin, but would need to check the drivers.

I did some browser searches, and it looks like it's a common problem. I'm surprised there isn't a fix, or a known answer. I really don't completely understand this phone stuff... Sigh.

Thanks for the suggestion.

ROM
    Infinity & Pool Party

To be totally honest, I think I'm a little over my head, and don't have the patience, which is why I thought the factory reset would put me back to ***** land... I still have Odin, but would need to check the drivers.

I did some browser searches, and it looks like it's a common problem. I'm surprised there isn't a fix, or a known answer. I really don't completely understand this phone stuff... Sigh.

Thanks for the suggestion.
    Well if you still have ODIN, download this file to your computer:

Power down your phone, pull the battery out, open ODIN, connect phone to PC by USB cord that came with phone while holding the volume down button on the phone. Yellow triangle should appear on phone screen and farthest left small rectangle on ODIN should turn yellow and display a com port. Press the PDA button, navigate to where you have the above file saved, double click on the file, hit the start button. Once it is finished, close ODIN, pull the USB cord from your phone, put the battery back in phone, power up. Just skip through set up for now and phone should prompt to download the OTA updates. If it doesn't, jut hit the menu soft key (lower left of phone) and go settings=>about phone=>system updates=>check new.

Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    1,688 Global Posts
    ROM
    GummyCharge 1.9.1

The issue lies with the factory reset. It is only meant to wipe out any data saved to the phone (contacts, bookmarks, account info...), and won't do anything to the system like removing root access or return to stock.

Follow Landshark's suggestions and you should be back up and running
    Telling a member to "search" is not the answer to a question.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Jelly Belly

@ksw... You probably already know this, but just to be safe, DON"T USE THE PHONE BUTTON IN ODIN!!!!!

ROM
    Infinity & Pool Party

Also if you follow my advice, I believe you need to have wifi turned off to receive the OTA. You get it through 3g.

Global Posts
    467 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP Devil 40.1

And remember the first rule of Flashing, DON'T FREAK OUT!!!! Just about everything you do, is fixable. JUST STAY CALM!
    I know enough to get into trouble, but not enough to get myself out of that trouble.

ROM
    "EC01" ~ Jt's EC10 Voodoo

My wife's fascinate is completely stock and always has been but won't OTA to froyo. It fails to finish installing the update and gets the same error message as the OP....anyone have any ideas?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

ROM
    Infinity & Pool Party

Quote Originally Posted by tnez21 View Post
    My wife's fascinate is completely stock and always has been but won't OTA to froyo. It fails to finish installing the update and gets the same error message as the OP....anyone have any ideas?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
    Is wifi turned off? I believe wifi needs to be off to get the OTA. If it's still not working, I would say follow Adrynalyne's method by flashing back to DL09, then using the update.zip files he provided to go to EA28 then ED01

http://forum.androidcentral.com/veri...o-quickly.html

14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Thanks for the easy Odin instructions, and the file link. I flashed it to the DL09, and then was able to complete the 2.2 OTA update.

My problem is that I just don't play with this stuff enough, so I can't ever remember what I did, or how I did it. I think I'm just going to leave this factor for now. Maybe I'll dive back into phone mods at some point.

Thanks again to everyone!!!!!!!

I don't know how people did anything back in the days before forums. A wealth of knowledge out there.

KW

ROM
    Infinity & Pool Party

Thanks for the easy Odin instructions, and the file link. I flashed it to the DL09, and then was able to complete the 2.2 OTA update.

My problem is that I just don't play with this stuff enough, so I can't ever remember what I did, or how I did it. I think I'm just going to leave this factor for now. Maybe I'll dive back into phone mods at some point.

Thanks again to everyone!!!!!!!

I don't know how people did anything back in the days before forums. A wealth of knowledge out there.

KW
    You're welcome. Glad it worked out for you. As you can see, there are a lot of people here at AC willing and able to help.

16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

I've lurked around here for a while. And initially did the one step root from AC. It's a great board I'll continue to keep an eye out on for news, and tips.