File cannot be loaded from here (SD Card)

dgwood12

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Hey everyone, my girlfriend's fascinate has been having troubles recently opening files that are downloaded. The problem occurs specifically when she downloads an .apk file from either the browser or amazon app store and tries to open it. She is given the error message "The file cannot be viewed from here." Then it gives the file path "file:///mnt/sdcard/Android/data/amazon.venezia/cache/vnz10412.apk (next line) application/vnd.android.package-archive". I am unsure why this is occurring and think it could possibly be the sd card she is using? It started happening about a week ago when we noticed that an app she was trying to update on the amazon app store was downloading the update but not opening the file (this error message would occur). I uninstalled the amazon appstore thinking it might be it and re-downloaded it from the browser and it gave me the message again trying to open the amazon app store apk file. I was able to install it via astro's application manager but not launching it through the browser. I dont think it specifically relates to the app store because I am sure I could replicate it with any apk downloaded from the browser. I tried searching google and the forums but cannot see anywhere else this problem is happening. She has been able to download apks from the browser and also apps from the amazon app store and install them without any problems in the past. It was just until about a week ago this started happening. Any suggestions?

dgwood12

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I had also thought that maybe that was the issue but I checked and it is still checked to allow third party apps. I un-checked and re-checked it just to make sure and am still getting the error.

dgwood12

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I even removed it completely and put a different sd card in, re downloaded an app on amazon app store and tried to install it and was given the same error.

dgwood12

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I think at this point I have tried everything. I reformatted the SD card with the phone and tried again and it still isnt working. No clue what is going on. I can go into the folder amazon is downloading to via astro and launch the app installer that way and it installs fine, I just cant open apks from the app store or the browser

atomD21

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Ok, then if I were you, I would go download ComRom 2.0 and flash that to the phone. SC 2.9.2 is no longer supported, and ComRom is the next evolution of it. That, and it's awesome.

EDIT:Make sure you ODIN CWM 3.0 first, as that works best with CR 2.0

Last edited:
Reactions: dgwood12

dgwood12

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Where would the package installer apk be located in an ED01 rom? Also, what does the ED01 stand for? Is that a radio? If so Im not sure if that will screw things up or not because she has the EC01 radio....sorry if this sounds noobish, I am not very experienced with rooting on the fascinate, my phone is the htc incredible...

atomD21

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
If you download an ED01 (the OTA release) ROM from the ROMs section of this forum on to your computer, open the.zip and open the system folder. Once there, open the app folder and it lists all the system apps that get installed with the ROM. Package Installer is in there. Although, it would be easier and much less potentially dangerous to just flash ComRom and thus update all those system apps anyway.

ED01 and EC01 are pretty much the same thing.

dgwood12

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
OK, thank you for your advise, im really reluctant to make any major changes at this point...if it was my phone i'd do it in a heartbeat but with my luck all of the problems that I have had with rooting have happened with her phone. I needed to change the radio to EC01 because at first she wasnt getting text messages when I flashed SC and then her network connection would drop after a while (about 5 times a day) and wouldnt come back until I turned airplane mode on and then off again. EC01 fixed all of that. Is it ok to do what you have suggested with the EC01 radio?

dgwood12

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
May I ask your opinion of the comrom and what is better about it? I know she wont like the GB look but I can change the theme out pretty easily myself. What features does it add?

atomD21

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Oh yeah, ComRom works great with the EC01 radio. So long as you follow the install instructions, you won't run into any problems. Just make sure you backup all her stuff so you can restore it.

atomD21

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I love ComRom. It's the first custom ROM I even wanted to go to, and I haven't been disappointed. It is much more streamlined than SC, the VooDoo is quite a bit faster than non, and the GPS is blazingly fast. And there are already quite a few themes made for it. And at this point, coming from SC, it would be the least startling transition for her. It doesn't add a ton of features per se, but the TSM parts stuff in settings is nice to have.

dgwood12

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Sounds pretty good. I am also worried about this voodoo/non-voodoo stuff. Im not really sure what that is. I think she has the non-voodoo of SC but I really dont even know...

atomD21

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
It sounds much scarier than it is. Basically, all Voodoo does is change the way the phone accesses the files, and speeds it up. The best part about ComRom is that the devs set it up to automatically go voodoo when you reboot after flashing. Just be forewarned, the first reboot after flashing will take several minutes and you will hear a robotic female voice advising of the changes going on. Are you familiar with ODIN?

dgwood12

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
To a certain extent. All that I need to do in odin is flash CWM 3 right? then I can flash the rom through CWM?

atomD21

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Exactly. And not to belabor the point, but make sure to follow the install directions to the letter, or you will run into issues, and who wants an angry girlfriend?

dgwood12

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Exactly, haha. I just flashed CWM3 via odin. So now I am downloading the rom and hopefully all will be smooth. Do you know of any themes that change the look back to the touchwiz look? IE the status bar, dialer, etc? I know she likes the look of it right now...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox