did I spread something by opening on my phone

hawkphotography

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
opened an e-mail that turned out to be spam, but later that day I started getting all kinds of returned e-mail msgs with the same title in the subject. I ran a full scan on my computer, but I'm not running anything on my phone. Should I be, and could it spread from my phone? Looks like my entire address book got the e-mail.

atomD21

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, your email was hacked through your phone. I would download Lookout or a similar app to scan for anything on your phone, and I would also go and change your email password.

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Actually I just had this happen on my computer a short time ago. It's not a virus or anything damaging. It's simply a spammer. I researched it online and found this was a common spam from 2007-2008 that is resurfacing now. You probably did like me and opened the first email that looked like a delivery failure report. When you did that the spam file got a hold of your contacts and started sending out the spam emails to your contacts. I sent an email to my entire contact list letting them know until further notice do not open any emails from me unless you see my initials at the beginning of the subject line. Then when you get any of those delivery failure reports in your inbox, just move them to your spam folder so your email client knows anything from that sender is spam. Then just delete your spam folder as normal. The delivery failure reports will continue for about 1 - 2 weeks when spammers traditionally change email addresses to avoid detection. It's a major pain, but there is nothing harmful or destructive in the emails, just spam. I contacted my email provider and ISP to be safe and they verified neither my account or was hacked in the sense that someone had gained access directly to my account. The spam email simply read my inbox and started sending the spam emails out. I suffered no performance issues as a result of this, it was just an annoyance seeing the spam emails pop up for about 2 weeks. I also did a scan of my entire system and nothing was detected. So take my advice and move any of those emails to your spam folder and within a day or two they won't appear in your inbox anymore. Notify everyone in your inbox so they can do the same and try to cut the thing off, and just wait about 2 weeks or so, the spam emails will stop. Hope this helps. You can do a google search on Delivery Failure Notice Spam and read all about it if you want.

Reactions: sjenkins1009

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles