Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default I'm way too new to this for my own good...

Okay, look here's the deal. I let my brother root my phone because the way it was acting before reallyyyy pissed me off. So I figured if I let him do it, it'd work better.

Wrong.

Wayyyy wrong.

It's better and faster, yes. However, when I send text messages that are more than a page long it messes up the whole text and then adds a ton of @ signs under it. The Kernel he's using is VooDoo and I read that those weren't that great for kernels. So is there anything I can do to fix this? One-Click doesn't work and a half dozen other things I've tried don't work either (they either make me think my phone is brick'd or it gets stuck on screens and I have to take the battery out).

Oh, and I'm on a Mac. So most of the information I've found is useless anyway. Look, I'm in desperate need here, guys. And I'm already taking hits from my girlfriend telling me "I told you so."

So... help? Please? I don't care if I get a new root and kernel or if it just goes back to the way it was before all this mess. I just want to be able to use my phone the way it's intended to be used.

Thanks, guys.
    Vee
    Frugal Nerd Tinkerer

Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    ROM
    Rooted, leaned out stock

As stated by the guys who run this site - some folks just should not root - no offense but I think you are in this camp.

Go back to your brother and ask him to get you back to stock - he can use on of the odin packages available - basically if he was able to get you rooted and on a different rom and kernel - he can get you back.

The other option is to have him get you to a stock rom and kernel that are rooted - this way you can have the predictability of the stock config with capabilities (like free wifi tether, etc) of rooting.

In the end, if you are not a tinkerer and you just want it to work - root and custom roms, kernels, radios really are not for you.

I may get flamed on this, but it is really the truth

Also, if you are already confused - trying to do this on a mac will just be even more confusing - so if your bro has a PC going back to him might be your best bet.

Global Posts
    499 Global Posts
    ROM
    Jelly Belly

You need to head over to the rooting section of this forum and read about rooting. The files and programs you need to return your phone to stock and then root properly are there. You can get your phone working again, don't worry.

ROM
    Evil Fascination 3.5

If you find pc specific instructions, they're not useless. Find a pc. Beg and borrow.

ROM
    Infinity & Pool Party

Quote Originally Posted by mknollman123 View Post
    As stated by the guys who run this site - some folks just should not root - no offense but I think you are in this camp.

Go back to your brother and ask him to get you back to stock - he can use on of the odin packages available - basically if he was able to get you rooted and on a different rom and kernel - he can get you back.

The other option is to have him get you to a stock rom and kernel that are rooted - this way you can have the predictability of the stock config with capabilities (like free wifi tether, etc) of rooting.

In the end, if you are not a tinkerer and you just want it to work - root and custom roms, kernels, radios really are not for you.

I may get flamed on this, but it is really the truth

Also, if you are already confused - trying to do this on a mac will just be even more confusing - so if your bro has a PC going back to him might be your best bet.
    I would have to agree. Android Central is not solely about rooting and hacking your phone. It is about a community helping each other out so we all can get the best experiences from our phones. For some that means rooting and hacking. For others, it just means learning more about what their stock phone can do, and what new developments are out there. If someone else is rooting your phone for you, can't always be there in case something goes haywire, and you don't have the tools and knowledge to fix things when they do go haywire, then what mknollman123 said makes sense. For the time being it will probably be best for you to return to a stock state and enjoy the phone that way for now. You will need to get your hands on a PC in order to return to stock. So when you can do that, let us know and someone can walk you through the steps of flashing stock DL09 in ODIN then letting your phone OTA to the current stock build.
    Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?

Sometimes you go to the circus...........Sometimes the circus comes to you.

Instructions on how to flash ROMs, Kernels, Patches, and Mods through clockworkmod recovery, CWM: DroidXcon's CWM Thread

If you add me on Google+, please list your AC username as a nickname so I know who you are.

Global Posts
    596 Global Posts
    ROM
    Eclipse 1.3 / PBJ non-oc

Quote Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
    I would have to agree. Android Central is not solely about rooting and hacking your phone. It is about a community helping each other out so we all can get the best experiences from our phones. For some that means rooting and hacking. For others, it just means learning more about what their stock phone can do, and what new developments are out there. If someone else is rooting your phone for you, can't always be there in case something goes haywire, and you don't have the tools and knowledge to fix things when they do go haywire, then what mknollman123 said makes sense. For the time being it will probably be best for you to return to a stock state and enjoy the phone that way for now. You will need to get your hands on a PC in order to return to stock. So when you can do that, let us know and someone can walk you through the steps of flashing stock DL09 in ODIN then letting your phone OTA to the current stock build.
    Doesn't Heimdall work on a mac?
    If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you're going to be locked up.
    -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by wyllic View Post
    Doesn't Heimdall work on a mac?
    Yes it does, I've used it a few times. Not as straightforward as Odin, but it works.

Sent from my Nexus S

Global Posts
    596 Global Posts
    ROM
    Eclipse 1.3 / PBJ non-oc

So it really depends on how good the OP is at following directions, and how good someone is at explaining it step by step?

I would volunteer but I don't know Mac OS well at all
    If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you're going to be locked up.
    -- Hunter S. Thompson

Basically. There are instructions in the Epic 4G Rooting/ROMs/Hacks forum in a sticky thread on how to return to stock (I would post a link but I'm mobile). Shouldn't be too different from what is needed here - just make sure to use the Fascinate tar file.

Sent from my Nexus S