06-20-2011 09:06 AM
- I am fairly new to the smartphone world, I purchased my Verizon Fascinate back in January. Now I have been reading that Verizon is releasing a Fascinate 2 in July. Since the last update to Android 2.2 my battery is crap. Worked fine prior to the update. How does an update make one of the most important features of a smartphone worse ie battery life?06-18-2011 06:09 AM
- Sorry to hear of your buyer remorse. If you want a quick fix to get you better battery life, I would recommend trying JuiceDefender Ultimate from the Android Market. That app easily doubled my battery life.
If you're willing to spend a little time reading, an upgrade to one of the new ROMs, such as UKB 2.0 (the latest Community-developed ROM), you will also likely see double battery life over your current situation plus added enhancements.
Hope this helps.06-18-2011 08:27 AM
- Oh but you'll be laughing at the fascinate 2 when you pick up the fascinate 3 in a little more than a year.
Monkey with your phone some to get that battery life back because as you know this phone can have good battery life.
I just got my fascinate 2 months ago and don't regret it at all. Consider rooting as mentioned before if you're willing to read the guides carefully; it can give you the feeling of a new phone (and quicker user interface experience than any stock android I have ever tried, including DX2/thunderbolt/Dinc2)06-18-2011 08:05 PM
- I am fairly new to the smartphone world, I purchased my Verizon Fascinate back in January. Now I have been reading that Verizon is releasing a Fascinate 2 in July. Since the last update to Android 2.2 my battery is crap. Worked fine prior to the update. How does an update make one of the most important features of a smartphone worse ie battery life?06-18-2011 10:30 PM
- My 2 cents here...
I do understand EXACTLY where you are coming from my friend. My wife and I got the 1st 2 Fascinates sold in our local Verizon store on release day. We were coming over from iPhone 3Gs and couldn't believe the difference the phone, and the carrier, made in our enjoyment/usefullness.
Then the problems began. Bad battery life, poor signal, constant reboots and force closes, and replaced phones. Notice none of this is BING related? Frankly I didn't care about that one way or the other (having used regularly over a dozen Google apps on my phone I do however understand the passion it stirs up in the community, the Google services are better period). But I finally took the plunge and rooted. A whole new world opened up for me.
I can safely say that I've never enjoyed a smartphone, or any handheld device, more since I truly made this phone my own. The latest Community ROM has made it even better. While I still don't get the greatest battery life, I DO use a lot of background data and syncing services so it's a trade off, I can't recommend enough the fine work the Devs here and at XDA have come up with for this phone. Give em chance and try some of their work out. It'll cost you nothing but the time it takes to READ and understand all the instructions then get ready to enjoy your phone again.
Sorry to hear about your issues with the phone. Just know that even those sexy new releases have issues too. Just look at the problems with the Thunderbolt and the Charge for reference. We all love to get our hands on shiny new tech. Lord knows I do as my wife and wallet can attest too. But let's not forget with a little TLC and hackery/trickery, what we hold in our hands can be made into something special too.
Just my 2 cents.06-19-2011 10:38 PM
- I always want to get the latest tech, one of the downfalls of reading too much on this website, and others like it! I'm purposely holding off on rooting my fascinate for when my lust for the GS2 becomes overwhelming (which will happen quickly if/when it is released on Verizon). Then I'll root, and feel like I have a brand new phone, which will hold me over for a few months longer. I honestly can say there is still no device on the market right now that I like more than my fascinate. And if I stick it out with my current contract, I can't upgrade until fall of 2012! But I'm fine with that, knowing I have a great device, with plenty more I can do to make it even better.
I use juice defender, have definitely noticed better battery life, although it has added a little lag as well. And who says the GS2 won't have battery issues, or other issues, that will give folks reasons to have some buyer's remorse? As others have said frequently, there is always something newer/shinier/better/faster/sleeker on the horizon. Make the most of what you have in front of you, and you have an awesome device with the fascinate.06-20-2011 09:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD