1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Swype expired?

Last night I tried to send a text message and got a pop-up saying my Swype trial period has ended, and I need to upgrade my copy of Swype. I'm on CommRom 1.2, with the Samsung MMS patch. Any ideas on why this happened, and how I can get a working copy of Swype again? It's so much better than the regular keyboard!

ROM
    GummyNex/franco.Kernel 11

The same thing happened to me on comm rom 2.0 ... good thing it's an easy fix. Just register on the swype beta site and download the installer to your phone, backup then uninstall swype from your phone using titanium backup. Reboot the phone (must do this). Then use the swype installer to update you to the latest version and you're set
    The new version of swype is genius, so you'll be glad you did this anyway!
    Thanked by 5:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by TheGord View Post
    The same thing happened to me on comm rom 2.0 ... good thing it's an easy fix. Just register on the swype beta site and download the installer to your phone, backup then uninstall swype from your phone using titanium backup. Reboot the phone (must do this). Then use the swype installer to update you to the latest version and you're set
    Awesome, thanks for the help. I'll do this during my lunch break today!

ROM
    Stock, rooted

Thanks Gord. Went into a panic this morning, same issue. I like my swype .

Works great and the new version looks fantastic.

ROM

Quote Originally Posted by BigSwoe View Post
    Thanks Gord. Went into a panic this morning, same issue. I like my swype .

Works great and the new version looks fantastic.
    Glad to be of help

ROM
    ViciousCM10

When it asks which version to install, which did ya'll choose?

Also are there any trade-offs/perks to the different versions?

Thanks!

ROM
    Stock, rooted

Quote Originally Posted by bawoo View Post
    When it asks which version to install, which did ya'll choose?

Also are there any trade-offs/perks to the different versions?

Thanks!
    Just language support. I chose English/Spanish which seems to be the default.
    Thanked by:
    bawoo 

ROM
    ViciousCM10

Another question I had was that since the older version of swype isn't available anymore (only as a backup), is it alright if I just backup now? I prefer the swype beta to the older version I had (which was from commrom 1.3)

ROM
    Eclipse 1.3 / PBJ non-oc

I'm having all kinds of issues with uninstalling and then installing the new beta. It wont actually uninstall the current version

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
    If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you're going to be locked up.
    -- Hunter S. Thompson

ROM
    CM10 Nightlies

I went to that link they emailed me and it appears my phone is NOT an Android phone... hahahah

EDIT:
    I used a different browser. I DLed it but it won't let me install English/Spanish for some reason.
    Last edited by jbr05ki; 06-21-2011 at 02:07 PM.

ROM

Quote Originally Posted by bawoo View Post
    Another question I had was that since the older version of swype isn't available anymore (only as a backup), is it alright if I just backup now? I prefer the swype beta to the older version I had (which was from commrom 1.3)
    Yup, you can backup the new swype now. I just made a backup of the old swype in case anything went wrong. But now that you have the new one installed, you can back it up any way you want.

ROM

Quote Originally Posted by wyllic View Post
    I'm having all kinds of issues with uninstalling and then installing the new beta. It wont actually uninstall the current version

Are you using Titanium Backup Pro to uninstall swype? Also, try switching your default keyboard to something else other than Swype before uninstalling it (long press in a text field). That might help it out. Let me know how it goes!

ROM
    Eclipse 1.3 / PBJ non-oc

Are you using Titanium Backup Pro to uninstall swype? Also, try switching your default keyboard to something else other than Swype before uninstalling it (long press in a text field). That might help it out. Let me know how it goes!
    Im using the gb keyboard, wont uninstall with my backup pro. I used to have tb pro so i'll dl that again and try with that

If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you're going to be locked up.
    -- Hunter S. Thompson

ROM

Quote Originally Posted by jbr05ki View Post
    I went to that link they emailed me and it appears my phone is NOT an Android phone... hahahah

EDIT:
    I used a different browser. I DLed it but it won't let me install English/Spanish for some reason.
    The swype install will fail unless you reboot your phone after uninstalling it with Titanium Backup.
    Does a reboot help?

ROM
    Eclipse 1.3 / PBJ non-oc

The swype install will fail unless you reboot your phone after uninstalling it with Titanium Backup.
    Does a reboot help?
    Not st first, it wouldn't uninstall period, I finally got it working now. Boy that was a pain. Loving the new swype tho, it's awesome!

-- Hunter S. Thompson