Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Screen protector necessary?

Are screen protectors necessary with this phone? After watching the video of someone scratching it with a key im not so sure. Anyone free balling it?

ROM
    4.0.4 leak

Default Re: Screen protector necessary?

I personally have always used screen protectors on my smartphones. Even though it's been shown pretty well that the glass on the GN is plenty scratch-resistant I don't like risking it. ~$15 for a pack of screen protectors is better than possibly having a scratched screen.
    Verizon Galaxy Nexus | Bugless Beast 4.1.1
    If you appreciate something I post, like it and/or give thanks!

Global Posts
    124 Global Posts

Used to use screen protectors, now I don't. I actually tried one when I first opened my Galaxy Nexus and the screen looked washed out. Off it came and I'm typing on it naked right now and loving how the screen looks!
    gotice and elkbath like this.

I think using a screen protector on a phone with scratch resistant glass, is like wearing a condom before sex with your wife; after you and your wife have been sterilized and you are both faithful to each other
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    124 Global Posts

If it's glass then it can scratch!

KEY WORD, resistant. Scratch proof? Not so much.

ROM
    Stock rooted 4.04 IMM76K

I really want to trust that it is Scratch resistant, my Samsung fascinate was. I dropped that thing on wood floors and it was still fine. My charge was a different story it got scratched easy. So is this phone any better? Watching that key test and knife test looks like it is but I'm still scared to get a scratch on it.

Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by gotice View Post
    I think using a screen protector on a phone with scratch resistant glass, is like wearing a condom before sex with your wife; after you and your wife have been sterilized and you are both faithful to each other
    Such a stupid analogy. Reinforced glass is more resistant than regular glass. But anything with a higher level of hardness than the glass will scratch it. And reinforced glass is not the hardest substance in the universe. So it can still get scratched, and all it takes is one to be kicking yourself.

It's more like wearing a condom with a woman on birth control. It should be pretty safe without it. But you can't be too careful when it comes to something like accidental pregnancy. Or unwanted scratches on your display.

Rabble rabble rabble.

Global Posts
    113 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Noble.Four View Post
    Such a stupid analogy. Reinforced glass is more resistant than regular glass. But anything with a higher level of hardness than the glass will scratch it. And reinforced glass is not the hardest substance in the universe. So it can still get scratched, and all it takes is one to be kicking yourself.

It's more like wearing a condom with a woman on birth control. It should be pretty safe without it. But you can't be too careful when it comes to something like accidental pregnancy. Or unwanted scratches on your display.

Rabble rabble rabble.
    Haha.. a tiny piece of sand will scratch a screen. it sure won't stop a dremel.
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoMRO4OiXw4[/YT]

ROM
    Jelly Bean

Quote Originally Posted by strats View Post
    Haha.. a tiny piece of sand will scratch a screen. it sure won't stop a dremel.
    Yeah...pretty sure I won't be belt sanding or dremeling my Nexus anytime soon. I guess that's just me though.

I wish I had seen that video earlier, now I got all this dremel damage.

Global Posts
    113 Global Posts

Hahaha I walk around with running dremels and sanders in my pockets all day.. dont you?

I have always used screen protectors, a few dollars up front will keep the OCD person in all of us happy. I have already read on the forums about Nexus owners who have scratches in their displays so the answer is YES it will scratch.

I got the SGP Flex screen protector and honestly you cannot tell its on their when the screen is on. When its off, yes you see the slight orange peel effect but its also protects nicely and fits the entire display unlike some of the other screen protectors that leave a slight edge of unprotected screen.

Also it has been noted that replacing the Nexus display is no simple task, not sure if it was a cost issue, availability issue or something else.
    My Tech World:
    Personal SmartPhone: ASUS ZenFone 2 64GB ROM/4GB RAM (AT&T)
    Work SmartPhone: iPhone 4S (Verizon)
    Next Phone: TBD
    Tablet: iPad Air 2 128GB (AT&T)
    Laptop: MacBook Pro 15" Retina
    Media Device: AppleTV 3rd Gen
    NAS: Western Digital My Cloud EX4 16TB & MyCloud Duo 4TB
    Wireless: Airport Extreme

Android Enthusiast

ROM
    Android Open Kang Project

I installed my SGP flex today. So far, it's good. You can get must of the bubbles out with the squeegee. I squeezed the water out from top to bottom (just like you do with the air when installing a dry applied screen protector).

It's not as smooth as the naked screen nor the SGP Crystals, but it's still pretty smooth. As mentioned by the poster above, you barely notice that it's there. Even though I applied it on in a hot steaming bathroom with the shower on a small little fiber got caught under the film. Oh well, it's hardly noticeable.

I'll keep you updated on how it looks in a few days, but according to that video, it will turn out pretty well. After awhile, all that matters is how it looks when the screen is turned on. I had the Crystal on my DINC and oil and small scratches on the screen protector never bothered me. I never even used the second screen protector that came in the pack.

I like screen protectors because once I see a flaw on a product I buy, I go nuts. I love the reassurance that my screen protector is being scratched instead of the actual screen. Plus, I'm probably going to be owning this thing for two years. I need to protector with my life. After all, it was $300 plus tax.
    teffects likes this.

Default Do I need a screen protector?

I know this sounds like a stupid question, but here are the facts:

1. I can't explain how much I love the front of my Nexus. Just perfect, straight black or lovely blue from an angle, and I don't want anything, be it an ugly, sticky protector or a scratch, to ruin it.

2. I've seen the key-up video. If that's for real, do I actually need a screen protector?

3. Right now I use Ghost Armor, because these guys at the mall heat press the protector and it leaves no bubbles. Problems are:

A. Protector is sticky. IE, my finger slides noticeably better/faster across a regular surface, and this is important to me for gaming.

B. Ghost Armor sometimes seems to get bunched up... not like bubbles, but like a carpet if you push your feet ever so slightly forward on it.

But I'd be devastated if anything were to happen to my new trophy/second mind. So, what advice can you guys give me?

P.S. The kickstand case at the Verizon Store is amazing!

I tried them years ago on my phones and thought they all sucked. I keep my phones in my pocket and NEVER have scratched them. I keep keys and knife in the other pocket and phone by itself.

These screen protectors take away from the screen, but do offer protection to those that are hard on their phones.

I never liked them because there was almost always no way to get the screen clean enough and it was almost impossible to put the screen protector on perfect. The people with OCD wont use them for those reasons.....haha

Default Re: Do I need a screen protector?

I wasted 10$ on the screen protectors that I got from Verizon when I picked up the GN. I would clean the damn phone for 2 minutes with the cloth and every time there would still be a piece of dust that got on the screen and just ruined it. I also felt like the screen protector ruined picture of the phone. I'm leaving it completely naked, even when I do get a case I still won't put a screen protector on the phone.

My advice is to try out the BoxWave ClearTouch Crystal screen protector when it comes out on the 22nd, if you are really worried about scratches. Or you can just be very cautious

I was reading some posts over at XDA many people with the GSM version have noticed scratches on their screens.

Ghost Armor is pretty crappy stuff, any of that type of Urethane type film will feel sticky and suck, dry application screen protectors are much better but apparently with the curvature on the edges the dry screen protectors don't work well, so they cut them short which looks pretty crappy imo.

Dry Screen Protectors are pretty smooth, almost like glass, and are much smoother than the Urethane films.

If this had Gorilla Glass, I would not have one, but after reading what people who have the GSM version said, I applied the one that came with my case which is dry application and a bit small but Ill keep it on until something better comes along.

Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock, Overcome 2.0

I recommend XO Skins. Similiar to Ghost Armor and all the air bubbles will cure within 24 hours. Doesnt feel sticky, no orange peel, and feels super smooth. Loving my on my GNex and GTab 10.1. Also just put one on my moms incredible 2 and she has no complaints.

^ Yea I am looking at them now but I cant seem to find any pictures of fitment on the nexus.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,793 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

Is not the nexus made with lotus glass?

Global Posts
    113 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thescreensavers View Post
    ^ Yea I am looking at them now but I cant seem to find any pictures of fitment on the nexus.
    Here I just posted a pic of mine.

XO Skin is now dry, perfect fit.

Quote Originally Posted by gotice View Post
    In theory :-P Just like how "fortified glass" shouldn't scratch.. In theory. There were a lot of twitter posts just before release about how easily the screen scratches/chips and paint on the case chips. That was from people who had actually been using the phone as a DD before release. I hate screen protectors too, but I'm not sure that I want to trust the screen by itself.

All about what you want I guess. If you are going to use a case (I can't find one I like that fits the extended battery) and a holster or something, it may not be necessary since the case should keep the screen off the ground for *most* falls unless it hits a rock in the middle of the screen or something. If you aren't using a case, It may be a good idea. I'm always worried about the camera lens getting scratched on all my phones, so I have a protector on mainly so I can sit the phone screen down and not worry.
    wheezy likes this.

Global Posts
    113 Global Posts

I do the same thing. Screen down since there is a protector on it.
    Journeyman

ROM
    A

I want a screen protector that does not ruin the beautiful display and is not sticky. I can't use my phone if my fingers get stuck when sliding. If theres a SP that has these features. Im in
    Follow me on Twitter: @SpaceHippieSays
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast