Best car charger for Nexus?

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
So are there any Car chargers that will work as AC fro the nexus? This shouldn't be so hard to find.

As I indicated above, the stock Verizon charger, or the "Just Wireless" one, using the built-in 'coiled' cable with the micro USB connector at the end, work just fine, and are seen as "AC". If you use the secondary USB port on these devices, with a separate USB cable, it will be seen as "USB" and doesn't deliver the same current as when you use the built-in cable/connection.

The problem is finding a "free-standing" car charger - that is, one with only the bare USB port(s) - where you would use a separate USB/MicroUSB cable - that will deliver the proper current to be seen as "AC". I have yet to find or identify one that does this.

Reactions: KoukiFC3S

lifespeed757

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
So are there any Car chargers that will work as AC fro the nexus? This shouldn't be so hard to find.

It's harder than you think. My understanding of the problem is that Apple, as they always seem to do, refused to comply with the USB charging standard of a 200 ohm resistor across the data terminals indicating high-current (AC) capability.

So, as they were first to market with their closed proprietary product, all the car kit chargers scrambled to support Apple's non-standard implementation. Which shows up as USB charging for devices that follow the standard. At least that is my understanding of why it is so hard to find car kit chargers that actually charge a non-fruit phone properly.

PS - I did try using Nav with a car charger that only does USB charging and indeed it is inadequate, sometimes actually losing charge over time.

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks DLC. So the Motorola one should work then here on amazon? Looks like it gives .95 amps, which is better than the .5 amps that most will give. Do you have a link for the verizon one, or is that just the one they sell at the stores?

Amazon.com: Motorola Vehicle Power Adapter micro-USB Rapid Rate Charger: Cell Phones & Accessories

I haven't used it personally, so I can't say for sure, but I have read posts from numerous people on a few forums, that this works just as well as the standard Verizon charger, and is definitely cheaper!

And yes, the Verizon one is just the one they sell at the store. "On Sale" recently for $19.99, for what it'w worth - don't know if the sale is still going.

lifespeed757

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Please post Dual charger that indicates AC

So far it seems there have been a couple single-port 12V DC car chargers that properly indicate high current (AC) charge under settings/about phone/status.

This is what we need to know: does the phone indicate USB or AC charging?

It can be a 2.1A charger, but if it doesn't short D+ to D- to tell the device it is high current it will be useless as the phone limits it's draw to no more than the USB-standard 500mA.

So check your phone indications before you go bragging "my charger works fine". If it does not indicate AC charge your Galaxy Nexus can easily overrun the 500mA and actually slowly discharge thanks to it's huge bright screen, GPS, etc.

I am looking for a dual to charge both our phones. Please reply with models that fit the bill.

I can contribute the following info:

Nexus One car dock charger (single): AC charging
Griffin powerjolt duo (dual): USB charging
Black and Decker 12V AC inverter USB port (single): USB charging

Edit: There is some USB/AC data in this thread

Last edited:

stanfills

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I have been using these for years. They are cheap, and they work very good and don't destroy your battery like some car chargers will. Also it has a nice blue glow. Give it a shot it's less than 5 bucks.

Amazon.com: Motorola Vehicle Power Adapter micro-USB Rapid Rate Charger: Cell Phones & Accessories

This charger show up as "A/C" on my Nexus as well as the "Just Wireless" SKU 03158 at Walmart
Walmart.com: Just Wireless Micro USB Mobile Car Charger For Motorola and other phones: Cell Phones

Reactions: KoukiFC3S

dookie.

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
A couple data points to add...

The OEM AC wall wart shows just 1A output... not that you'd probably be GPSing /BTing while using it. The critical part is not the amperage, but whether the phone sees it as a USB or AC source... if USB, you're only getting 0.5A regardless of stated max output.

I have a 1A dual USB unit from the Shack that absolutely positively showed as AC charge on my DX. Same converter, same cable shows USB charge on the GN... swap cables to the one from the OEM wall wart, and still shows USB.

Guess I'm in the market for a new converter.

acm25

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
Great find! The reviews all indicate that it is wired properly for full current delivery.

Does your post mean that you actually have one, use it with a Galaxy Nexus, and that it is shown as "AC" while charging?

Yes I picked up two from the link above and they definitely show AC charging on the gnex. Note the cable is not included only the charger itself. But it works fine with some cheap monoprice micro usb cables.

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Yes I picked up two from the link above and they definitely show AC charging on the gnex. Note the cable is not included only the charger itself. But it works fine with some cheap monoprice micro usb cables.

Excellent. Your post was so encouraging, and the price so cheap (even free shipping!), that I went ahead and ordered it last night. Dang - you're right - I should have ordered 2! :D

THadaniS01

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
So far from reading this thread I understand that most car chargers are rated 500mah (USB) where as the ones we are looking for charge at 1A (AC). Can the Galaxy Nexus support 2A? Are there any car chargers that are 2A? Is it safe to charge with 2A?

I'm looking into it as well but all your help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
This is probably wrong, but I believe that most car chargers are usually rated at less than 1A, barring some exceptions like many of the dual ports (but usually spread amongst all ports), and for the GNex, if it reads as drawing from a USB it will only draw 500mah, while if it draws from something it reads as an AC, it will draw 1A.

experiment 626

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Thanks DLC. So the Motorola one should work then here on amazon? Looks like it gives .95 amps, which is better than the .5 amps that most will give. Do you have a link for the verizon one, or is that just the one they sell at the stores?

As I was reading thru the reviews on this I specifically found a user with a GN.Buyer Scott Holm(December 29,2011) gave the Motorola charger 5 stars for it's performance with his Nexus. Can't beat it for $5. ;)