What's the best DRY screen protector currently available?

DarkKnight

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
i was just going to make a thread like this so instead i will just bump it. i am better at putting on dry protectors as opposed to wet ones so does anyone have any information on the best dry screen protectors? thanks so much.

Kunji

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
i use the clear ones verizon have. it comes with 3 of them in case you misfire. they look as well as the high dollar wet one i used on my og droid. and almost half the price

majiklantrn

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
i use the clear ones verizon have. it comes with 3 of them in case you misfire. they look as well as the high dollar wet one i used on my og droid. and almost half the price

+1

I've been using the Verizon ones also with no problem. Doesn't' COMPLETELY cover the screen but does cover the most part. Just make sure you have some scotch tape near by in case you you need to re position and/or to get those little dust specs.

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
For longevitiy; Boxwave. I live in a desert, and have had one of their protectors on my indash NAV system on my Hummer and I wipe it clean; dry, with a microfiber cloth and in two years...NO scratches.

However, had one on my X and it developed scratches after about six months. Again, dry cleaning with a microfiber cloth.

So, I purchased two Steinhill's at a little less than one Boxwave. The second Steinhill is on my X; only took about two months for some fine scratches to appear.

I will eventually go back to Boxwave, but not until I get a new phone.

Someday I might even learn to blow off the dust and dirt prior to wiping with a microfiber; but I doubt it!

Galaxy Nexus Accessories / Samsung Galaxy Nexus Accessories

World

rickt1152

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I have no issue with the standard Verizon clear protectors. However, I found the Verizon anti-glare to be horrible. They noticeably darkened the screen for me as well as caused a speckle effect. It was so bad I almost got rid of the phone. Once I switched to the clear, I was much happier. Auto brightness still sucks, but the screen looks much better with the clear.

Touchpaddle

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
+1

I've been using the Verizon ones also with no problem. Doesn't' COMPLETELY cover the screen but does cover the most part. Just make sure you have some scotch tape near by in case you you need to re position and/or to get those little dust specs.

Do you have any pictures of your Galaxy Nexus with the VZW protector applied? Thanks in advance. :)
The SPG protector is 2mm smaller all around the screen... I'm just wondering if the VZW one is about
the same? I understand that it's necessary because of the curved screen glass.

I did end up ordering the no-scratch protector from VZW's website... but unfortunately the
delivery has been delayed due to weather issues(in addition to Christmas rush). FedEx s
aid they will "attempt"delivery on Wednesday, at the earliest.

I hope it works great... if not, I will go with my 2nd choice, which is the SPG ultra oleophobic(?)... :)

quintilis

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I bought a Clarivue protector as the Boxwave wasnt out yet. Supposedly Boxwave covers the whole screen. The Clarivue doesnt and I could tell why when i applied it - if not applied centered, it doesnt adhere to the screen fully because the edges of the screen curve down a bit in the outer millimeters. I do wish the protector could be flush, but so far it looks good otherwise.

Oj467

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I just put the Steinheil Ultra Oleophobic on my Nexus and really don't find the small perimeter area being uncovered that annoying. It went on nice and there's no dust or anything under it - other than the edge area remaining uncovered you'd not know it was on.

Also - my Seidio Active case covers all the "uncovered" screen at the top and bottom and most of the sides - so only a small portion is visible.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

I put one of these on my GN and I hate it!! The not fitting the whole screen doesn't really bother me at all, I can live with that. What sucks is the fingerprints and oils this thing collects like crazy!!!! Before the screen protector I had no problems with fingerprints etc... the screen stayed pretty clean, much better then my other phones. Since putting it on it is terrible, can't use it one time without it needing to be cleaned! Also it has 3 pretty deep scratches on it, I think just from taking it in and out of my pocket. Funny thing is the scratches run off the protector or I should say to the edge of it, where the protector ends and screen picks up there is no scratch on the screen. So the screen does better with scratches then the protector does!

CarryMe

Banned
Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
What sucks is the fingerprints and oils this thing collects like crazy!!!! Before the screen protector I had no problems with fingerprints etc... the screen stayed pretty clean, much better then my other phones.
The VZW screen protectors are horrible!!!!! They collect so much oil they are disgusting.

Forgetful

Energy hoarder
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Don't get steinheil, they're over priced and I've gotten some that already had dust between the layers.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

majiklantrn

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Do you have any pictures of your Galaxy Nexus with the VZW protector applied? Thanks in advance. :)
The SPG protector is 2mm smaller all around the screen... I'm just wondering if the VZW one is about
the same? I understand that it's necessary because of the curved screen glass.

I did end up ordering the no-scratch protector from VZW's website... but unfortunately the
delivery has been delayed due to weather issues(in addition to Christmas rush). FedEx s
aid they will "attempt"delivery on Wednesday, at the earliest.

I hope it works great... if not, I will go with my 2nd choice, which is the SPG ultra oleophobic(?)... :)

I would say the SPG will fit the same as the Verizon ones. As far as grease, just wipe the phone off after you talk on it. I haven't had an issue with the grease. Then again, I'm not using my phone while eating a bucket of fried chicken.

Everyone will experience different cause and affect with different types of screen protectors. That is because some people produce more oil than others.

The best screen protector I have ever used were the ones by Power Support for my iphone and ipad. To bad they don't make ones for Android devices.

Touchpaddle

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
I just put the Steinheil Ultra Oleophobic on my Nexus and really don't find the small perimeter area being uncovered that annoying. It went on nice and there's no dust or anything under it - other than the edge area remaining uncovered you'd not know it was on.

Also - my Seidio Active case covers all the "uncovered" screen at the top and bottom and most of the sides - so only a small portion is visible.

I just installed the Verizon protectors. It came in a 3-pack... $9.99 from Verizon's own website.
(each protector ends up being $3.33)

Installation was super easy because I did it in a hot & steamy bathroom. Only missed one
dust particle, which I got rid of with Scotch tape. Zero bubbles. The surface was just as
smooth and I detect no difference in touchscreen sensitivity. Very happy with it. :)

Based on the YouTube video showing the SPG protector installation, I'd say the Verizon
protectors are roughly 1mm bigger all around. (still smaller than the actual screen glass
area.. necessary because of the curved screen)

The SPG protectors are around $12 for a 2-pack, so it's $6 each. That's almost double
the price of the Verizon protectors. Based on my previous experience with dry screen
protectors, I'd say the Verizon protector is very high quality. So the clear winner here,
IMHO, is the Verizon protector. :)

By the way, I also have a case for my GN. It doesn't affect the screen protector at all.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I just installed the Verizon protectors. It came in a 3-pack... $9.99 from Verizon's own website.
(each protector ends up being $3.33)

Installation was super easy because I did it in a hot & steamy bathroom. Only missed one
dust particle, which I got rid of with Scotch tape. Zero bubbles. The surface was just as
smooth and I detect no difference in touchscreen sensitivity. Very happy with it. :)

Based on the YouTube video showing the SPG protector installation, I'd say the Verizon
protectors are roughly 1mm bigger all around. (still smaller than the actual screen glass
area.. necessary because of the curved screen)

The SPG protectors are around $12 for a 2-pack, so it's $6 each. That's almost double
the price of the Verizon protectors. Based on my previous experience with dry screen
protectors, I'd say the Verizon protector is very high quality. So the clear winner here,
IMHO, is the Verizon protector. :)

By the way, I also have a case for my GN. It doesn't affect the screen protector at all.

Couldn't disagree with you more! As I stated above, the Verizon one is the biggest finger print, oil, and dirt magnet I have ever seen!!!!! I finally broke down and ordered a wet apply screen (Ghost Armor) and can't wait for it to come in.

Touchpaddle

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
Couldn't disagree with you more! As I stated above, the Verizon one is the biggest finger print, oil, and dirt magnet I have ever seen!!!!! I finally broke down and ordered a wet apply screen (Ghost Armor) and can't wait for it to come in.

You do realize I started this thread and specifically asked about DRY screen protectors, right? :D

Having said that, I'd love hear back from you once you applied the Ghost Armor wet-apply
screen protector. I have nothing against it. However, my past experience with them
were less than pleasing, especially the orange peel look that they all have. (the worst
offender being ZAGG, which I had on my iPhone)

If the Ghost Armor protector has a completely smooth surface like the dry-applied
protectors, I wouldn't mind making it my next screen protector. (Galaxy S3, anyone? :) )

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gofuckyourselfandroid