Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default What's the best DRY screen protector currently available?

    What's the best DRY screen protector currently available?
    (goes on dry, without the need for any liquids)

    Thanks!
  2. #2  
    DarkKnight's Avatar

    Posts
    22 Posts
    Carrier
    Liquid Smooth 15mr1

    Default Re: What's the best DRY screen protector currently available?

    i was just going to make a thread like this so instead i will just bump it. i am better at putting on dry protectors as opposed to wet ones so does anyone have any information on the best dry screen protectors? thanks so much.
  3. #3  
    Kunji's Avatar

    Posts
    63 Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

    Default Re: What's the best DRY screen protector currently available?

    i use the clear ones verizon have. it comes with 3 of them in case you misfire. they look as well as the high dollar wet one i used on my og droid. and almost half the price
  4. #4  

    Default Re: What's the best DRY screen protector currently available?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kunji View Post
    i use the clear ones verizon have. it comes with 3 of them in case you misfire. they look as well as the high dollar wet one i used on my og droid. and almost half the price
    +1

    I've been using the Verizon ones also with no problem. Doesn't' COMPLETELY cover the screen but does cover the most part. Just make sure you have some scotch tape near by in case you you need to re position and/or to get those little dust specs.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: What's the best DRY screen protector currently available?

    For longevitiy; Boxwave. I live in a desert, and have had one of their protectors on my indash NAV system on my Hummer and I wipe it clean; dry, with a microfiber cloth and in two years...NO scratches.

    However, had one on my X and it developed scratches after about six months. Again, dry cleaning with a microfiber cloth.

    So, I purchased two Steinhill's at a little less than one Boxwave. The second Steinhill is on my X; only took about two months for some fine scratches to appear.

    I will eventually go back to Boxwave, but not until I get a new phone.

    Someday I might even learn to blow off the dust and dirt prior to wiping with a microfiber; but I doubt it!

    Galaxy Nexus Accessories / Samsung Galaxy Nexus Accessories

    World
  6. #6  

    Default Re: What's the best DRY screen protector currently available?

    I have no issue with the standard Verizon clear protectors. However, I found the Verizon anti-glare to be horrible. They noticeably darkened the screen for me as well as caused a speckle effect. It was so bad I almost got rid of the phone. Once I switched to the clear, I was much happier. Auto brightness still sucks, but the screen looks much better with the clear.
  7. #7  
    crzycrkr's Avatar

    Posts
    1,516 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,524 Global Posts
    Carrier
    AOKP35/Matr1x19.5

    Default

    I used to use Boxwave, but now I prefer Steinheil.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default Re: What's the best DRY screen protector currently available?

    Quote Originally Posted by majiklantrn View Post
    +1

    I've been using the Verizon ones also with no problem. Doesn't' COMPLETELY cover the screen but does cover the most part. Just make sure you have some scotch tape near by in case you you need to re position and/or to get those little dust specs.
    Do you have any pictures of your Galaxy Nexus with the VZW protector applied? Thanks in advance.
    The SPG protector is 2mm smaller all around the screen... I'm just wondering if the VZW one is about
    the same? I understand that it's necessary because of the curved screen glass.


    I did end up ordering the no-scratch protector from VZW's website... but unfortunately the
    delivery has been delayed due to weather issues(in addition to Christmas rush). FedEx s
    aid they will "attempt"delivery on Wednesday, at the earliest.

    I hope it works great... if not, I will go with my 2nd choice, which is the SPG ultra oleophobic(?)...
  9. #9  

    Default Re: What's the best DRY screen protector currently available?

    I bought a Clarivue protector as the Boxwave wasnt out yet. Supposedly Boxwave covers the whole screen. The Clarivue doesnt and I could tell why when i applied it - if not applied centered, it doesnt adhere to the screen fully because the edges of the screen curve down a bit in the outer millimeters. I do wish the protector could be flush, but so far it looks good otherwise.
  10. #10  
    bplewis24's Avatar

    Posts
    495 Posts
    Global Posts
    496 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Bugless Beast

    Default Re: What's the best DRY screen protector currently available?

    I heard good things about this screen protector ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...idcentral00-20 ), so I ordered it a few days ago. Will report back.

    Brandon
  11. #11  
    Oj467's Avatar

    Posts
    524 Posts
    Global Posts
    659 Global Posts

    Default Re: What's the best DRY screen protector currently available?

    I just put the Steinheil Ultra Oleophobic on my Nexus and really don't find the small perimeter area being uncovered that annoying. It went on nice and there's no dust or anything under it - other than the edge area remaining uncovered you'd not know it was on.

    Also - my Seidio Active case covers all the "uncovered" screen at the top and bottom and most of the sides - so only a small portion is visible.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: What's the best DRY screen protector currently available?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kunji View Post
    i use the clear ones verizon have. it comes with 3 of them in case you misfire. they look as well as the high dollar wet one i used on my og droid. and almost half the price
    I put one of these on my GN and I hate it!! The not fitting the whole screen doesn't really bother me at all, I can live with that. What sucks is the fingerprints and oils this thing collects like crazy!!!! Before the screen protector I had no problems with fingerprints etc... the screen stayed pretty clean, much better then my other phones. Since putting it on it is terrible, can't use it one time without it needing to be cleaned! Also it has 3 pretty deep scratches on it, I think just from taking it in and out of my pocket. Funny thing is the scratches run off the protector or I should say to the edge of it, where the protector ends and screen picks up there is no scratch on the screen. So the screen does better with scratches then the protector does!
  13. #13  
    CarryMe's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    325 Posts
    Carrier
    Stock for now

    Default Re: What's the best DRY screen protector currently available?

    Quote Originally Posted by tx_tuff View Post
    What sucks is the fingerprints and oils this thing collects like crazy!!!! Before the screen protector I had no problems with fingerprints etc... the screen stayed pretty clean, much better then my other phones.
    The VZW screen protectors are horrible!!!!! They collect so much oil they are disgusting.
  14. #14  
    Forgetful's Avatar
    Energy hoarder

    Posts
    1,463 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,473 Global Posts
    Carrier
    stock rooted

    Default

    Don't get steinheil, they're over priced and I've gotten some that already had dust between the layers.

    Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
  15. #15  
    crzycrkr's Avatar

    Posts
    1,516 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,524 Global Posts
    Carrier
    AOKP35/Matr1x19.5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful View Post
    Don't get steinheil, they're over priced and I've gotten some that already had dust between the layers.

    Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    No offense, but either you didn't put it on right, or something's defective.
  16. #16  
    Oj467's Avatar

    Posts
    524 Posts
    Global Posts
    659 Global Posts

    Default Re: What's the best DRY screen protector currently available?

    Quote Originally Posted by crzycrkr View Post
    No offense, but either you didn't put it on right, or something's defective.
    Third phone for me with Steinheil protectors - and they've been nothing but high quality.
    crzycrkr likes this.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: What's the best DRY screen protector currently available?

    Quote Originally Posted by af250xxl View Post
    Do you have any pictures of your Galaxy Nexus with the VZW protector applied? Thanks in advance.
    The SPG protector is 2mm smaller all around the screen... I'm just wondering if the VZW one is about
    the same? I understand that it's necessary because of the curved screen glass.


    I did end up ordering the no-scratch protector from VZW's website... but unfortunately the
    delivery has been delayed due to weather issues(in addition to Christmas rush). FedEx s
    aid they will "attempt"delivery on Wednesday, at the earliest.

    I hope it works great... if not, I will go with my 2nd choice, which is the SPG ultra oleophobic(?)...
    I would say the SPG will fit the same as the Verizon ones. As far as grease, just wipe the phone off after you talk on it. I haven't had an issue with the grease. Then again, I'm not using my phone while eating a bucket of fried chicken.

    Everyone will experience different cause and affect with different types of screen protectors. That is because some people produce more oil than others.

    The best screen protector I have ever used were the ones by Power Support for my iphone and ipad. To bad they don't make ones for Android devices.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

    Default Re: What's the best DRY screen protector currently available?

    Quote Originally Posted by BillK View Post
    I just put the Steinheil Ultra Oleophobic on my Nexus and really don't find the small perimeter area being uncovered that annoying. It went on nice and there's no dust or anything under it - other than the edge area remaining uncovered you'd not know it was on.

    Also - my Seidio Active case covers all the "uncovered" screen at the top and bottom and most of the sides - so only a small portion is visible.
    I just installed the Verizon protectors. It came in a 3-pack... $9.99 from Verizon's own website.
    (each protector ends up being $3.33)

    Installation was super easy because I did it in a hot & steamy bathroom. Only missed one
    dust particle, which I got rid of with Scotch tape. Zero bubbles. The surface was just as
    smooth and I detect no difference in touchscreen sensitivity. Very happy with it.

    Based on the YouTube video showing the SPG protector installation, I'd say the Verizon
    protectors are roughly 1mm bigger all around. (still smaller than the actual screen glass
    area.. necessary because of the curved screen)

    The SPG protectors are around $12 for a 2-pack, so it's $6 each. That's almost double
    the price of the Verizon protectors. Based on my previous experience with dry screen
    protectors, I'd say the Verizon protector is very high quality. So the clear winner here,
    IMHO, is the Verizon protector.

    By the way, I also have a case for my GN. It doesn't affect the screen protector at all.
  19. #19  

    Default Re: What's the best DRY screen protector currently available?

    Quote Originally Posted by af250xxl View Post
    I just installed the Verizon protectors. It came in a 3-pack... $9.99 from Verizon's own website.
    (each protector ends up being $3.33)

    Installation was super easy because I did it in a hot & steamy bathroom. Only missed one
    dust particle, which I got rid of with Scotch tape. Zero bubbles. The surface was just as
    smooth and I detect no difference in touchscreen sensitivity. Very happy with it.

    Based on the YouTube video showing the SPG protector installation, I'd say the Verizon
    protectors are roughly 1mm bigger all around. (still smaller than the actual screen glass
    area.. necessary because of the curved screen)

    The SPG protectors are around $12 for a 2-pack, so it's $6 each. That's almost double
    the price of the Verizon protectors. Based on my previous experience with dry screen
    protectors, I'd say the Verizon protector is very high quality. So the clear winner here,
    IMHO, is the Verizon protector.

    By the way, I also have a case for my GN. It doesn't affect the screen protector at all.
    Couldn't disagree with you more! As I stated above, the Verizon one is the biggest finger print, oil, and dirt magnet I have ever seen!!!!! I finally broke down and ordered a wet apply screen (Ghost Armor) and can't wait for it to come in.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

    Default Re: What's the best DRY screen protector currently available?

    Quote Originally Posted by tx_tuff View Post
    Couldn't disagree with you more! As I stated above, the Verizon one is the biggest finger print, oil, and dirt magnet I have ever seen!!!!! I finally broke down and ordered a wet apply screen (Ghost Armor) and can't wait for it to come in.
    You do realize I started this thread and specifically asked about DRY screen protectors, right?

    Having said that, I'd love hear back from you once you applied the Ghost Armor wet-apply
    screen protector. I have nothing against it. However, my past experience with them
    were less than pleasing, especially the orange peel look that they all have. (the worst
    offender being ZAGG, which I had on my iPhone)

    If the Ghost Armor protector has a completely smooth surface like the dry-applied
    protectors, I wouldn't mind making it my next screen protector. (Galaxy S3, anyone? )
  21. #21  

    Default Re: What's the best DRY screen protector currently available?

    Quote Originally Posted by af250xxl View Post
    You do realize I started this thread and specifically asked about DRY screen protectors, right?

    Having said that, I'd love hear back from you once you applied the Ghost Armor wet-apply
    screen protector. I have nothing against it. However, my past experience with them
    were less than pleasing, especially the orange peel look that they all have. (the worst
    offender being ZAGG, which I had on my iPhone)

    If the Ghost Armor protector has a completely smooth surface like the dry-applied
    protectors, I wouldn't mind making it my next screen protector. (Galaxy S3, anyone? )
    Oh no doubt, and I wanted a dry screen as well, just haven't heard any stories yet that have made me want to buy another one. But I can't say enough how bad the Verizon one is, no matter how cheap I think it is a waste of money! I picked the Ghost Armor because I have read and seen pictures of it having no orange peel effect. I hope to have it on sometime next week and I will let you know.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

    Default Re: What's the best DRY screen protector currently available?

    Quote Originally Posted by tx_tuff View Post
    But I can't say enough how bad the Verizon one is, no matter how cheap I think it is a waste of money! .
    I have used many dry-apply screen protectors in the past and IMHO, the Verizon is just
    as good as the others. That's why I'm a little confused when you said the Verizon one
    is bad.

    Just wondering if we're talking about the same one... the one I have was ordered directly from
    Verizonwireless.com and is listed as the no-scratch 3-pack for $12.99(or $9.99 if you have
    employer corporate discount)
  23. #23  

    Default Re: What's the best DRY screen protector currently available?

    Quote Originally Posted by af250xxl View Post
    I have used many dry-apply screen protectors in the past and IMHO, the Verizon is just
    as good as the others. That's why I'm a little confused when you said the Verizon one
    is bad.

    Just wondering if we're talking about the same one... the one I have was ordered directly from
    Verizonwireless.com and is listed as the no-scratch 3-pack for $12.99(or $9.99 if you have
    employer corporate discount)
    It is a 3 pack I got from the Verizon store when I bought the phone, by the way have had it on less then a week and it already has 3 deep scratches and other smaller ones on the protector.
  24. #24  
    zero neck's Avatar
    The Ever-Living

    Posts
    5,090 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,097 Global Posts
    Carrier
    KANG

    Default Re: What's the best DRY screen protector currently available?

    I applied the reearth on amaxon, not great. Waiting on sgp ultracrystal. Also picked up skinomi but didnt put it on yet.
    Dont recommend the reearth btw
  25. #25  
    bplewis24's Avatar

    Posts
    495 Posts
    Global Posts
    496 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Bugless Beast

    Default Re: What's the best DRY screen protector currently available?

    Quote Originally Posted by zero neck View Post
    I applied the reearth on amaxon, not great. Waiting on sgp ultracrystal. Also picked up skinomi but didnt put it on yet.
    Dont recommend the reearth btw
    Let me know how the sgp ultracrystal works out. I just received the ZAGG Invisishield and it appears to be a wet-application one. Not sure how I feel about that.

    Brandon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions