Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #26  

Global Posts
    126 Global Posts

Default Re: GNex + Seidio Surface Holster + Otterbox Commuter + VZW Silic

Quote Originally Posted by CFD323 View Post
    Well I ordered a Commuter today. Hopefully it works with Ghost Armor...although my Ghost Armor is not "curing" very well at all so will probably be going back to the kiosk for a re-install...
    What seems to be the problem with your Ghost Armor? Are you referring to just the screen protector?

1. tell me about those flap covers at the bottom. it seems to me that they would be a PIA and they are one of the things turning me off from the Otterbox. i don't like loose flaps and i don't want to fuss with them just to charge etc.

2. also - i like a soft case - not that hard raw slippery plastic with no soft coating.

Global Posts
    588 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by paulcle View Post
    What seems to be the problem with your Ghost Armor? Are you referring to just the screen protector?
    I've got vertical lines running throughout the whole screen and it's like sparkly all over. Definitely looks terrible! The Ghost Armor manager told me if it doesn't look better by tomorrow, to bring it back and he'll reinstall another screen protector.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #29  

Global Posts
    126 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CFD323 View Post
    I've got vertical lines running throughout the whole screen and it's like sparkly all over. Definitely looks terrible! The Ghost Armor manager told me if it doesn't look better by tomorrow, to bring it back and he'll reinstall another screen protector.
    Sorry to hear. Keep in mind, unfortunately, that not all installers are built equally. Try to see if they can ensure a more seasoned installer will look at your phone next time and have them install it.

I installed all my Ghost Armor protectors on all my devices and have had very good success. My recent installs on my two GNex units are without disappointments.

Good luck.

Global Posts
    588 Global Posts

Well I had the 2nd Ghost Armor installed today. Hopefully this one will be ok...

edit: 5 hrs later & it looks much better than the 1st one already...
    Last edited by CFD323; 01-12-2012 at 10:19 PM.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #31  

Global Posts
    126 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    1. tell me about those flap covers at the bottom. it seems to me that they would be a PIA and they are one of the things turning me off from the Otterbox. i don't like loose flaps and i don't want to fuss with them just to charge etc.

2. also - i like a soft case - not that hard raw slippery plastic with no soft coating.
    The micro-USB and headphone jack covers work well and are quite functional. The open from back to front. When closed, they are snapped shut and will stay that way until you open them. It is an additional step that you will have to take to charge the phone or use your headset, but when closed, they will keep most dust, debris, and light moisture out. I didn't think I would like them either, but they have grown on me quite easily. The flap covers on the Otterbox Defender is far worse and less appealing, IMO.

If you like the soft touch feel, then you should consider the Seidio Surface case. The Seidio case does not use covers for the USB, headphones, or either of the side buttons. The surface of the case is coated with Seidio's OEM soft touch coating. It's pretty good and offer more tact for grip, and also has a mating hard holster.

See my review below on the Surface case.

Seidio Surface Case with Holster G-Nex - Review and Pics

The micro-USB and headphone jack covers work well and are quite functional. The open from back to front. When closed, they are snapped shut and will stay that way until you open them. It is an additional step that you will have to take to charge the phone or use your headset, but when closed, they will keep most dust, debris, and light moisture out. I didn't think I would like them either, but they have grown on me quite easily. The flap covers on the Otterbox Defender is far worse and less appealing, IMO.

If you like the soft touch feel, then you should consider the Seidio Surface case. The Seidio case does not use covers for the USB, headphones, or either of the side buttons. The surface of the case is coated with Seidio's OEM soft touch coating. It's pretty good and offer more tact for grip, and also has a mating hard holster.

See my review below on the Surface case.

Seidio Surface Case with Holster G-Nex - Review and Pics
    1. i don't like moving parts on cases so i think the Otterbox is out. i don't want to fight with flaps every time i want to charge my phone or use my headphones and also disengage each - which is multiple times a day. and that port protection is overkill for normal use IMO. the one i was considering was the Defender sans belt clip. i heard also that there is some wiggle room movement of the device in that case. not good.

2. i have had the Seidio Active X Exoskeleton case on my OG EVO since launch day. i like it a lot and plan on getting the G-Nex version. for me - it is the best balance of protection, style, design, grip, materials, size, quality, and price.

Italiano Papi

Global Posts
    3,542 Global Posts
    ROM
    iOS 5.1

That is by far one of the best reviews I have seen with a product being used in many different ways. I commend you. I really want to get the Outerbox Commute case and was interested in a clip for it. Might have to pay a bit for this, but this looks like a solid connection. Plus I too, have the extended battery and would prefer to keep the door on it. Thanks for the write up and pictures. Job well done on the review.

I didn't want the bottom (usb/headphone) ports covered either which is why I went for the Incipio Sacryclic which does cover the side buttons only and fits into the Seidio Commuter holster well.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #35  

Global Posts
    126 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Terrigno View Post
    That is by far one of the best reviews I have seen with a product being used in many different ways. I commend you. I really want to get the Outerbox Commute case and was interested in a clip for it. Might have to pay a bit for this, but this looks like a solid connection. Plus I too, have the extended battery and would prefer to keep the door on it. Thanks for the write up and pictures. Job well done on the review.
    Thanks for the kind words. I have more configurations and pictures to add to this thread upcoming. I have taken measurements and pics for both on-door and off-door with the Otterbox Commuter. I have comparison pics between the Seidio Active and Seidio Surface holsters, both used alongside with Otterbox Commuter. Ghost Armor installed worked only feasibly for me with the extended battery door installed. Once I get my hands on my friend's GNex with the new Seidio Extended 3800mah battery and extended Surface case, I will provide pics and a supplemental write up.

I really like the Commuter though.

Quote Originally Posted by samkatz
    I didn't want the bottom (usb/headphone) ports covered either which is why I went for the Incipio Sacryclic which does cover the side buttons only and fits into the Seidio Commuter holster well.
    I think you meant either the Seidio Surface or Seidio Active holster. Please include pictures if you would like.

Global Posts
    432 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock ice cream

good review nice read thanks

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Global Posts
    1,460 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Awesome review!!!

Thanks for the kind words. I have more configurations and pictures to add to this thread upcoming. I have taken measurements and pics for both on-door and off-door with the Otterbox Commuter. I have comparison pics between the Seidio Active and Seidio Surface holsters, both used alongside with Otterbox Commuter. Ghost Armor installed worked only feasibly for me with the extended battery door installed. Once I get my hands on my friend's GNex with the new Seidio Extended 3800mah battery and extended Surface case, I will provide pics and a supplemental write up.

I really like the Commuter though.

I think you meant either the Seidio Surface or Seidio Active holster. Please include pictures if you would like.
    Correct, I did mean the Seidio ACTIVE holster....here's a link the the pix I posted.
    incipio silicrylic case/ext battery+seido commuter holster
    Italiano Papi

Global Posts
    3,542 Global Posts
    ROM
    iOS 5.1

Ordered the Otterbox Comuter 2 days ago. Now next week, possibly the Clip?
    Italiano Papi

Global Posts
    3,542 Global Posts
    ROM
    iOS 5.1

Otterbox came in. Nice Case. But truely is a lint magnet. I can get over that. But I have noticed that having it installed with the battery cover off, is a much better fit for the case. With the cover on, th bottom buldges out a bit and Im just OCD about those kind of things lol. But then again, I was OCD realizing that there is no battery cover on it! But its cool. I had the Qmadix case before this without the battery cover on. No problems. But Ill really need a clip though because This phone isnt going in and out of my jeans pocket for long. Qmadix was nice because I had the clip for it. And that whole combo was less then what I paid for this Commuter. So I might just sell it. Not to sure right now. Its too soon.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #41  

Global Posts
    126 Global Posts

Smile Re: GNex + Seidio Surface Holster + Otterbox Commuter + VZW Silic

Quote Originally Posted by Terrigno View Post
    Otterbox came in. Nice Case. But truely is a lint magnet. I can get over that. But I have noticed that having it installed with the battery cover off, is a much better fit for the case. With the cover on, th bottom buldges out a bit and Im just OCD about those kind of things lol. But then again, I was OCD realizing that there is no battery cover on it! But its cool. I had the Qmadix case before this without the battery cover on. No problems. But Ill really need a clip though because This phone isnt going in and out of my jeans pocket for long. Qmadix was nice because I had the clip for it. And that whole combo was less then what I paid for this Commuter. So I might just sell it. Not to sure right now. Its too soon.
    Congratulations on getting your Commuter! I have really grown to really like and appreciate the offerings of this case. It does have a few shortcomings, as you already have noted. It does attract lint easily. However, most silicone material of the sort does, unless it's the smooth, polished shiny type like the VZW TPU case. However, I think that over time, the natural wear of the silicone liner will help the lint situation. Originally, I preferred to not use the battery cover when using this case. It just seemed like it fit better, however, without having the battery cover on it allowed to much flex in the case that made it push up on the edges of my Ghost Armor screen protector. Now I wear it with the battery cover ON, while in the Commuter, and all is good. No more flex. Now both Otterbox and Ghost Armor play nicely together.

UPDATE: For those who requested it, I have updated my OP to include close pictures of the Commuter with the battery door installed to illustrate what the added girth makes the case look like on the bottom (where you see the most difference). I have also added comparison pictures of the Seidio Active and Seidio Surface cases. Again, the Active case will work better with the Otterbox Commuter.

For anyone interested, I will be putting up an assessment thread detailing the look of the new Seidio 3800mah battery, it's door, and the Seidio Extended Surface Case (3800mah) and holster combo!

GNex + 3800 Battery/Door + Seidio Extended Surface Case Combo
    Last edited by paulcle; 01-27-2012 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Added link.

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

Wanted to say thanks for the info, I have the Seidio Active Case, Extended Batt with Standard Back Cover, and the Otterbox Commuter, killer combo! love it more then the vzw case/holster they sell.

Global Posts
    736 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock 4.0.4

Does the otterbox commuter have a kickstand?

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GNex Girl View Post
    Does the otterbox commuter have a kickstand?
    no kick stand
    Thanked by:

Default Re: GNex + Seidio Surface Holster + Otterbox Commuter + VZW Silicone

I know this is a older thread, but just in case someone like me gets a Gnex a little late and is reading this thread... I use the commuter and the active holster with the extended battery. I love the idea, but refuse to run without a back cover and I am OCD about the gap. You CAN cut a square out of the silicone inner liner along the bottom where the bulge is without weakening the case so that the commuter fits perfectly with no gaps. DO NOT throw away the excess silicone you cut out, all the case information is stamped into it and you will need that if you ever make a warranty claim with otterbox! Cheers and thank you for this killer combo!!!!
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #46  

Global Posts
    126 Global Posts

Default Re: GNex + Seidio Surface Holster + Otterbox Commuter + VZW Silicone

I use this combo, with an extended 2100mah battery w/stock battery door.

Originally, I had it applied without the battery door as I believed the fit was better, but then realized that it is just
    fine with the door installed and without the need of any additional modification.

Glad you liked it.

paulcle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12