GNex + Seidio Surface Holster + Otterbox Commuter + VZW Silicone

Mthr1

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
UPDATE:Pics added with GNex + Extended Battery + Battery Cover + Otterbox Commuter in Holster, per request. Dimensions/Measurements included.

Hello again, folks!

As promised from my previous post, illustrating and reviewing of my GNex using Seidio's Surface case/holster combo, I bring my conclusive assessment of the Otterbox Commuter and whether or not it will be compatible with Seidio's Surface hard holster. Also, responding to a request in that same forum thread, I have also tested Verizon's own silicone case for fit and function with Seidio's holster as well. Pics and assessments below.

After spending a full work day with my Galaxy Nexus cased and holstered in my new Seidio Surface combo, I returned home to see that trusty FedEx dropped off my Otterbox Commuter case. I went ahead and pulled my GNex out of the Seidio case and set off to see how well it fit in the Commuter. My GNex has Samsung's 2100mah extended battery installed, however while in the Seidio case, the battery cover that comes with the extended battery was NOT installed for fitting purposes.

First, I reinstalled the extended battery's mating battery cover and proceeded to drop the phone into the Otterbox Commuter case. The GNex, along with the extended battery and it's battery cover, DOES fit into the Otterbox Commuter case. With a little more effort, the phone was able to slip inside the inner silicone layer and squeezed into the outer hard plastic exo-shell. I crossed my fingers and tried to mount it into the Seidio Surface hard holster...and with some small effort, it DID fit. However, the bottom of the phone did show a bit of bulge as it required a bit of effort to push the phone down into the holster enough to slide the upper half of the phone under the spring clip retainer of the holster. I took it apart and tested the fit of the GNex with the extended battery, but this time, without the battery cover. I found that the fit was more comfortable and going into the holster was more easier and less stressed. In the end, I decided that I preferred the fit of the case WITHOUT the use of the battery cover for the extended battery. Pics below...

Otter1.jpg

Otter21.jpg

The test subjects...in their respective cases.

Otter2.jpg

Otterbox Commuter - GNex inside w/extended battery - No battery cover.

Otter3.jpg

Bottom angle - USB and audio jack covers.

Otter4.jpg

Left side - volume rocker switch cover.

Otter5.jpg

Top Angle.

As you can see from the above pictures, the Commuter case does a great job and covering all the relevant areas of the phone. The fit is nearly perfect (particularly without the battery door) and all buttons and access jacks are covered by the inner silicone protective skin layer. The bottom usb and audio jack can be accessed by opening the silicone access doors. Sadly however, and I imagine that it will be a prevalent issue with all cases, the 3 side contacts are either covered (as they are with the Otterbox) or they will have a cutout (as they do in VZW's silicone case). Either of these will pretty much negate the benefit of accessing or making use of these contacts.

Below are some angles from the back side of the Commuter. Also detailed are pictures showing how the case is still nicely fitted against the camera, despite not having a battery door installed.

Otter6.jpg

Otter7.jpg

Otter8.jpg

Below, you will see how the inner silicone layer closely hugs the contours of the GNex's shape. Nice tight fit.

Otter9.jpg

So, here are a few pictures of the Otterbox Commuter being holstered by Seidio's Surface holster. The fit is really good (much better than I originally guessed it to be), but not quite as good as using Seidio's mating Surface case. With the Surface case, I can holster the phone to the holster one handed. Using the Otterbox, I can do it one handed as well, but it requires me to lift the spring clip up a little bit so that the top of the phone will clear. I didn't need to tend to such a detail when it was cased in the Seidio.

Otter12.jpg

Otter13.jpg

Otter14.jpg

Otter15.jpg

See the tight (but not overly tight) fit of the Commuter case to the holster? It's nice.

Otter16.jpg

Also pretty form fitting of the spring clip to the top of the Otterbox. Slightly better fit on the Seidio case.

After day two of my GNex case and holster testing, I find that I will be using the combination of the Otterbox Commuter case and the Seidio holster. I really like the look and better protected feel of the Otterbox over the Seidio Surface. Both feel comfortable in the hand, but the Seidio's trademark soft touch coating on it's case tends to retain skin oils and dust particles. The Otterbox's outer shell makes it more slippery than the grippy Seidio case, but it looks more polished and higher quality. The silicone inner shell does tend to pick up lint easier, but it would appear to protect the phone better from drop. I also notice a tighter seal of the Otterbox's silicone to the screen than the front half of the Seidio case. The silcone door covers that protects the usb port and audio jack are functional, but I wonder how well they will hold up over time. The added time that it takes to open the cover for charging and ensuring it's closure after charging is done may be pesty to some. I really don't feel all that strongly about it.

Below are pictures and assessments (by request) of VZW's silicone case being used with the Seidio Surface holster. Keep in mind that my wife's GNex does NOT have an extended battery installed, but I have confirmed that the silicone case WILL fit with the extended battery with (or without) the battery cover.

Otter17.jpg

It fits...and fits pretty well. As well as the Otterbox and retaining most of it's advantage and disadvantages.

Otter18.jpg

The purple and black really don't look bad. The wife hates holsters however. Sigh.

Otter19.jpg

Otter20.jpg

richro said:
Thanks for the awesome reviews! Can you post a couple close-up shots of the case fit with the extended battery cover on?

gnex1.jpg

gnex2.jpg

gnex5.jpg

gnex6.jpg

gnex7.jpg

gnex8.jpg

gnex9.jpg

gnex10.jpg

The above pictures all represent the GNex, with extended battery and oem battery cover, inside the Otterbox Commuter. Tolerances are tighter with the door installed, but the Commuter still installs fine. You will notice that it's a tiny bit more tighter when holstering in the Seidio holster, particularly down by the corners and bottom of the phone. However, once in the holster the fit is fine and isn't obtrusive. Again, purely personal taste as to whether or not you want to leave the battery cover on or off when installing the phone into the Commuter.

Speaking of tolerances, I have also recorded some pure dimensional measurements of the GNex while cased with the Commuter. See and read below.

gnex3.jpg

gnex4.jpg

The above pics, obviously, shows height and width dimensions. Thickness of the phone with and without the battery cover installed is...

With battery cover on: 15.8mm (bottom of phone), 13.0mm (top of phone)
With battery cover off: 14.4mm (bottom of phone), 12.5mm (top of phone)

That concludes my update with a better look into the Commuter case with the battery cover installed and what it looks like when the phone is mounted in the Commuter case. It's very hard to visually tell the difference between the case when the phone has the cover on vs when it's not installed. The difference is more prevalent when holstering the phone on and off.

So, there you have it. I am VERY pleased to have discovered that the Seidio Surface holster is compatible with not only it's own Surface case, but ALSO the Otterbox Commuter and VZW's silcone cases. It is in my own personal opinion that NOT using the extended battery's oem battery door renders a better fit and provides more pleasing functionality when using it with Seidio's holster. It can, however still work with the door cover installed, but I think that it's not that clean a fit thereafter.

I know this review was long with a lot of reading, but I hope it helps you folks out there that have been on the outside looking in for a good case and/or holster combination for the Galaxy Nexus. As mentioned before, you can also consider the Otterbox Defender case/holster combo for the ultimate in protection, but bear in mind you lose clean, low profile (and sexy!) look of the Galaxy Nexus. It's a thick and bulky beast that Defender is!

My last step in my GNex project is to await the arrival of my Ghost Armor screen protector. Then I'll likely call it a day and just spend time enjoying what the phone and ICS has to offer. Drop me a message if there are any questions or you need any other picture angles.

UPDATE: 01.26.2012 I have been asked on a different thread to include pictures of the Otterbox Commuter case installed on the GNex w/2100mah extended battery AND it's battery door, zoomed in a bit more for details. I have also included in the pictures below the comparison side by sides of the Seidio Active and Seidio Surface holsters. Enjoy!

OtterBattDoor1.jpg

OtterBattDoor2.jpg

The Active holster is on the left, the Surface holster on the right.

SurfaceVsActive1.jpg

In the picture below, the Active is on the right, while the Surface is on the left. Sorry for the reversal.

SurfaceVsActive2.jpg

Alrighty, then...I hope these added pictures help for all those that needed more visuals. Sorry they took so long for me to get up here, but it's been a very busy week. =)

I have also completed my assessment and pictures of the Seidio 3800mah Extended Surface Case Combo, with Seidio Extended Battery and Door in a separate thread. For those interested and want to see if the added bulk and hit in visual appeal is worth the functionality of much greater battery life, go over to my review thread to check out the comparisons for yourself.

Paul.

Last edited:

richro

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: GNex + Seidio Surface Holster + Otterbox Commuter + VZW Silic

Thanks for the awesome reviews! Can you post a couple close-up shots of the case fit with the extended battery cover on?

joggy

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site

Thanks yet again, Paul. Another great post regarding the various cases and holster combos.

Mthr1

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

I'll write myself a note and put up a couple pics this weekend with the Commuter case, GNex+Extended Battery+Battery Cover installed.

joggy said:
Thanks yet again, Paul. Another great post regarding the various cases and holster combos.

You're welcome. I'm glad that I could help.

jafels

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

So you really like the otter box better than the seidio? I love your reviews by the way they have great pics and a lot of good info.....anyway.....From your pics I thought the seidio looked sleeker and nicer, but you seem to be saying the otterbox looks more polished and High end. Care to elaborate al little more? I ordered the seidio, and now I think I would like to see what the otter box looks like too. Ive also got a diztronic tpu case coming today.

Mthr1

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

So you really like the otter box better than the seidio? I love your reviews by the way they have great pics and a lot of good info.....anyway.....From your pics I thought the seidio looked sleeker and nicer, but you seem to be saying the otterbox looks more polished and High end. Care to elaborate al little more? I ordered the seidio, and now I think I would like to see what the otter box looks like too. Ive also got a diztronic tpu case coming today.

Keep in mind, beauty is in the eye of the beholder...the same applies to phone cases. My wife shared a similar view as yours. She liked the Seidio case more than the Otterbox. She prefered the "soft touch" feel which offers more of a tact feel than the hard, non-coated finish of the Commuter's exo-shell.

As you can make out from my pictures, the simulate a brushed black metal look on the back center panel. The surrounding plastic is textured in a more conventional matte polycarbonate look. Throw in the third texture of the inner silicone skin to the mix and you have a very refined looking case assembly. The gauge of the polycarbonate plastic used is definitely thicker than that of the Seidio pieces. Whereas the Seidio case is lined with a felt layer on the underside of the back half, I think that the silicone inner layer of the Otterbox will offer more protection during impacts. The Otterbox Commuter also has covers for the usb ports and audio jack (offering some protection against moisture and dust contamination) as well as functional button covers for the lock and volume rockers. The silicone inner layer has indents in places where it mates with the hard plastic outer shell to provide postive mating, preventing any kind of sliding of the phone.

Returning to my thoughts of the Seidio case, there's much to like there as well. Despite the fact that I feel it has a more bland look to the case itself, it offers a more secure grip when in your hand. The soft touch coating is more grippy and invokes a bit more confidence that it won't slip out of your hand as easily as the Commuter. What's nice also is that when you holster the phone (when installed in Seidio case), the holster's spring clip clears the top part of the phone's front screen and allows you to push the phone into lock position without having to manually pull up on the clip to clear the screen, resulting in easy one-handed in and outs. The Otterbox, when slipped into the holster, the clip will hit just under the lip of the inner silicone skin, requiring you to lift the clip a little before you are able to push the phone into the holster. It's definitely easier to reholster using the Seidio case.

Although, the Otterbox is on my phone now, I am still auditioning both cases and determining what each offers that will ultimately be the most important to me. In this time and age, it's tough finding the perfect item without some sort of regard to compromise. We'll see what I end up with by the end of the year.

Thanks for looking...and your kind words. :p

jafels

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for taking the time to write back man.....again top notch insight.....its posts like these that make these forums a worthwhile endeavor.

Mthr1

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

Updated with pictures with the Commuter case having the GNex mounted along with it's extended battery and oem battery cover. Also dimensional measurements logged and illustrated for reference. Enjoy!

Reactions: richro

richro

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the updated pics! Ordered my OB Commuter yesterday (thanks to your excellent review) and plan to use it with the extended battery (most likely without the cover, although I will give it a try both ways).

Out of curiosity, can you measure the thickness of the OEM standard vs extended battery with those calipers? :)

Oj467

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site

Great review and thanks for the updated shots with the extended battery door on. I think WITH the extended door the Seideo Active fits better but without the Commuter is nicer.

Mthr1

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the updated pics! Ordered my OB Commuter yesterday (thanks to your excellent review) and plan to use it with the extended battery (most likely without the cover, although I will give it a try both ways).

Out of curiosity, can you measure the thickness of the OEM standard vs extended battery with those calipers? :)

Stock 1850mah battery: .226"/5.75mm thickness measurement.

Extended 2100mah battery: .253"/6.43mm thickness measurement. (+.027/.68mm)

daltonh13

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site

Awesome review, trying to decide on case for Nexus. Have you looked at or heard anything about the Incipio Silicrylic case?

Mthr1

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

Awesome review, trying to decide on case for Nexus. Have you looked at or heard anything about the Incipio Silicrylic case?

I have never owned an Incipio case, but have handled their silicrylic cases before. Not bad, but i didnt think that their quality was anything special. Their feather cases would interest me more.

Craig70130

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site

Has anyone come across a holster that -does not- require the use of a case? I plan to use the multimedia dock when released and all the cases I've seen cover the contacts needed for the dock. Also, at least in the case of the Otterbox I have, the cases just add way too much bulk to the phone. You wouldn't think it but the added 1/4-3/8" all around + thickness of the Otterbox really makes it too bulky for my taste.

Is there a reason everything available requires a case to use their holster? I'm attempted to purchase the Seidio Surface as it looks to be less bulky than the Otterbox but still, I'll lose the ability to use the dock and I don't want to have to remove the case every evening.

Thanks for any opinions or advice.

Mthr1

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

Has anyone come across a holster that -does not- require the use of a case? I plan to use the multimedia dock when released and all the cases I've seen cover the contacts needed for the dock. Also, at least in the case of the Otterbox I have, the cases just add way too much bulk to the phone. You wouldn't think it but the added 1/4-3/8" all around + thickness of the Otterbox really makes it too bulky for my taste.

Is there a reason everything available requires a case to use their holster? I'm attempted to purchase the Seidio Surface as it looks to be less bulky than the Otterbox but still, I'll lose the ability to use the dock and I don't want to have to remove the case every evening.

Thanks for any opinions or advice.

Seidio has historically released hard holsters that accommodates their various cases and for naked devices. There has been no hint one way or the other as to whether the Nexus will get such choices as well.

I believe that manufacturers typically release holsters for cased devices because the popularity of these slate devices installing protective cases are relatively common. Not to mention it also allows them to easily tandem sell their cases along with the holsters. My guess is that Seidio will eventually release a device only version of their Innocase holsters, but not after they market and sell their cases and case compatible holsters for a while.

When/if the naked holster comes out, a good option for protection would be Ghost Armor's full body skin. Very low profile and likely to be compatible with a naked holster.

With cases, that's the compromise that needs to be strongly considered. Protection usually comes at a cost of flexibility and OEM compatibility with accessories.

samkatz

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site

I may try the Otter Commuter w/the Seidio Holster. My Seido Surface combo came today. I had been using the Icipio Salcrylic the past two weeks and really liked it, except it can't fit in a holster or even a side case.

I must say I really did not like the Seidio case. I thought I wanted open volume and power rocker slots but , on the sedio it felt really weird pressing down along the sharp edges of the openings. I also didn't like the feel to the back. Yes, it worked well w/it's mated holster and slid into my side belt case well, but everything's a trade off. The Otter is the one I haven't tried. It seems to have the same basic two layer design as the Incipio, but maybe higher quality and less bulky.

Mthr1

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

I may try the Otter Commuter w/the Seidio Holster. My Seido Surface combo came today. I had been using the Icipio Salcrylic the past two weeks and really liked it, except it can't fit in a holster or even a side case.

I must say I really did not like the Seidio case. I thought I wanted open volume and power rocker slots but , on the sedio it felt really weird pressing down along the sharp edges of the openings. I also didn't like the feel to the back. Yes, it worked well w/it's mated holster and slid into my side belt case well, but everything's a trade off. The Otter is the one I haven't tried. It seems to have the same basic two layer design as the Incipio, but maybe higher quality and less bulky.

UPDATE: I received my Seidio ACTIVE Holster last week and have been using it with my Otterbox Commuter case. It's a better fit than my Surface holster as I am able to slide and lock the phone in place, one handed, without having to manually lift the spring clip to ensure clearance.

It's about .25" higher clearance than the Surface holster. Otherwise, the fit is nearly identical. I'll caliper measurements out this weekend.

Mayze

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

I just received my OtterBox commuter case today. I love it except the fact it's a lint magnet. The soft silicone picks up every piece of debris it touches. Pulling it out of my pocket or wiping the screen off with my shirt turned the case into a lint mess.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SandiR