Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Stock

Default Do you honestly need a screen protector?

Do you?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    I've watched Android since day 1 and I can't believe what it has become.

Phones: LG Optimus G Pro, LG Optimus L9, HTC Droid Eris, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC Evo 4G LTE, HTC Incredible 2, HTC One, Samsung Galaxy S3, Samsung Galaxy Note, Motorola Droid 2
    Tablets: Archos 7, Nexus 7 2013, Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, Samsung Galaxy Tab+ 7.0, iPad 2, iPad Mini, iPad Air

Default Re: Do you honestly need a screen protector?

We will see. I was against gell cases. Then I dropped my GN twice in 6 days scuffing it then cracking the body at the corner of the screen. I won't use a screen protector cause I put mine in a micro fiber baggie, even though I have it in a gell case.

I work in a machine shop. Shards of metal in my pocket etc. I need one or my screen would be scratched to hell

Sent from my unrooted DInc2 via Tapatalk

I had the one from the verizon store but found that it showed prints so bad that when I had the pattern onlock set, you could see the path from the finger streaks and easily unlock it. Shame to hide any of the pretty screen, go nekkid.
    jephanie likes this.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,735 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

no.............it is like birth control......roll the dice baby! Nevermore...what happens is irreversible....but I am not dawning protection for my phone because that is some safe sex right there....ha ha,
    Thanked by:
    kds

ROM
    Stock

Depends on your situation, but better safe than sorry. If you have to ask, then maybe you should put one on.

7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

ROM
    Stock

Just ripped off my screen protected and I have to say I will never use one again. I had a a Nexus S for a year pretty nasty drops and no scratches. I think its safe to say this phone will be that tough. Thanks guys! Merry Christmas!

I've watched Android since day 1 and I can't believe what it has become.

Phones: LG Optimus G Pro, LG Optimus L9, HTC Droid Eris, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC Evo 4G LTE, HTC Incredible 2, HTC One, Samsung Galaxy S3, Samsung Galaxy Note, Motorola Droid 2
    Tablets: Archos 7, Nexus 7 2013, Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, Samsung Galaxy Tab+ 7.0, iPad 2, iPad Mini, iPad Air
    Johnly likes this.
    Droiderator

ROM
    Bugless Nexus

I used them for every device I had until now. Glad I don't have one. So nice.

Never used one on my OG Droid or my Thunderbolt. The CSR commented on how perfect my Thunderbolt looked. Not a scratch for years.
    Learned my lesson on the case though. Dropped my GN twice in one week. Cracking the body.
    Italiano Papi

Global Posts
    3,542 Global Posts
    ROM
    iOS 5.1

I dont use a screen protector either. Never have, never will. It degrads the input from your finger when you use a screen protector. Plus for me its pointless. I dont put my phone in my pocket. Its always in some sort of a case where its covered up. $500+ phones deserve a little more nertchering from me. Thats just my experience.
    Thanked by 2:
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,735 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Terrigno View Post
    I dont use a screen protector either. Never have, never will. It degrads the input from your finger when you use a screen protector. Plus for me its pointless. I dont put my phone in my pocket. Its always in some sort of a case where its covered up. $500+ phones deserve a little more nertchering from me. Thats just my experience.
    My left pocket was taken by the nexus calling shotgun. Alone.

I thought the same thing. Until my gnex slipped out of my pocket as I was getting into my car. Now I have a nice little ding.

Ghost armor ordered. Phose is less than a week old. If it gets a ding that easily it wont last

Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,735 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

nuthin compared to child support, bahah!

After watching a couple videos with someone abusing the phone with some keys, I feel fairly comfortable not getting a protector. Plus the anti finger print coating is awesome. Just wipe the screen with your shirt and finger prints are gone. With my experience with screen protectors, they always seem to have a layer of finger oil.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
    Thunderbolter

Global Posts
    596 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted

Holy cow. Nurturing, buddy. I nurture the hell out of my phone, which is exactly why it has a screen protector. Any MINISCULE scratch on the screen will drive me up a wall.

Sent from my Liquid Smooth T-Bolt
    Thanked by:
    DrPancake likes this.

Global Posts
    1,524 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP35/Matr1x19.5

Just throwing this out there. Alone in your pocket, or key scratch tests mean absolutely nothing. Keys aren't hard enough to scratch glass. Biggest concern are any types of sand/dirt particles. They are all around and get in your pockets and on your hands. Not using protection is like begging for scratches.

There are some amazing quality screen protectors out there that do not degrade the screen and are as smooth as glass. Personally I recommend Steinheil.
    Thanked by 2:

Quote Originally Posted by crzycrkr View Post
    Just throwing this out there. Alone in your pocket, or key scratch tests mean absolutely nothing. Keys aren't hard enough to scratch glass. Biggest concern are any types of sand/dirt particles. They are all around and get in your pockets and on your hands. Not using protection is like begging for scratches.

There are some amazing quality screen protectors out there that do not degrade the screen and are as smooth as glass. Personally I recommend Steinheil.
    This.

Global Posts
    515 Global Posts
    ROM
    Jelly 'Beans', Stock

It depends. I use one and always have. I don't mind the feeling of the screen or any possible lack of clarity. I do like to be able to not worry about putting my phone down somewhere and it getting scratched. I think if I wanted to baby my phone all the time I could get away without one, but sometimes I just like not having to worry about where I place my phone.

Global Posts
    115 Global Posts

Screen protector and case. After years of smartphones all of them still look new because I took care of them. My incredible still looks new.

Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    6,394 Global Posts
    ROM
    NOS M7 Sense 5.0

I never used a screen protector until last year after I got my first scratch on my Thunderbolt. Since I was OCD it drove me nuts until I got a replacement for other reasons. From that day on I have always had one on.

Couple of variables....how well you treat the device and how much you will care if it were to get scratched...

Even the toughest screens can be scratched. Samsung doesn't use the toughest so its even easier...or at least less hard.

I enjoy the piece of mind of a screen protector. I have an iPhone for work and I was getting home one day, forgot it was my lap and when I got out of my truck it fell, as I turned I kicked it to make matters worse. The otterbox and screen protector were all scruffed up. I have no doubt the phone would have been destroyed without both of them. This was an accident, I try to be gentle with my stuff but I'm glad I had the screen protector and case because accidents happen.

I'm also the type of person that would hate having even the smallest scratch though...

The Nexus has scratch resistant glass.

That's like saying I nurture my beautiful child, I don't make him wear a seat belt I just drive very carefully.... :-)
    Thanked by 2:
    Italiano Papi

Global Posts
    3,542 Global Posts
    ROM
    iOS 5.1

Quote Originally Posted by blackjaguar25 View Post
    Holy cow. Nurturing, buddy. I nurture the hell out of my phone, which is exactly why it has a screen protector. Any MINISCULE scratch on the screen will drive me up a wall.

Sent from my Liquid Smooth T-Bolt
    Yes! I couldnt spell it lol. I just cant use a Screen protector. Im usually very careful with my device and it has a case on it all the time :P

Global Posts
    1,524 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP35/Matr1x19.5

Yes! I couldnt spell it lol. I just cant use a Screen protector. Im usually very careful with my device and it has a case on it all the time :P
    Try a Steinheil Ultra series. Can't even tell its on there
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast