Any vehicle mounts that work with cover and/or 3-pin?

jasonashvillian

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
I definitely want a vehicle mount for my Verizon Galaxy Nexus, to use with navigation and hands-free speakerphone calls. Right now, I'm not seeing anything that makes use of the 3-pin connector.

Anyway, I'm not sure if I want to have a phone cover. Certainly want protection, but don't want to turn my sleek phone into a block of cheese. Also, having to remove the phone from a cover to go in the mount is out of the question. Are there any relatively low-profile covers that work with a belt holster AND with a vehicle mount?

Kancerstick

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
unfortunately, i went through the same problems as you. and i gave up fast due to not having a car dock so i bought verizons POS one. I also have my gnex in a TPU case and everytime in and out of my car i have to remove my case and put it back on when i get out. Its not as bothersome as i wouldve thought.

One thing im about to do though, since i really dont like cases on my phone, im going to just put ghost armor carbon fiber on my phone, then buy a bluetooth 3.5mm aux adapter for my car. So i would just pop in my phone and connect it through bluetooth. Hopefully this works as im kind of unsure of how good bluetooth audio is...but im sure it beats having to plug the phone in everytime... I already scratched my phone twice from plugging in the aux cable into it. As for charging... currently im never away from a charging source for that long, so charging in the car at the moment for me, is not needed. Even if im out, almost all of my friends / family have some sort of charger in their car or house, so i just use that lol

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
This is a cheaper generic mount that should work with a case. However you'll have to be careful about putting the phone in - you can get to the USB connector in any position, but the 3.5mm connector may be blocked in some positions if you don't have Bluetooth in your car. The Galaxy Nexus also has very large volume buttons so putting it in anything that grips the sides like this runs the risk of pushing down the button unless you place it well:
http://www.amazon.com/Arkon-SM410-U...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU1530933

Reactions: rb240z

bluesboss2

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I think I've found one guys!

http://www.amazon.com/Kensington-Qu...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU1537221

I just got it in, and it fits my GNex great! High quality, simple and effective design, no down-side. It has vent mount and windshield mounts. I haven't tried it yet, but it all looks awesome. The reviews on Amazon say that the vent mount might not be the best ever for all vent types, but the rest is great. I know it says for Iphone, but some of the pix show an Evo in a case and some others as well. It fits the Nexus very well. Very secure. Check it out!

Aguaski

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
+ 1 for the recommendation from Corban227 on the Proclip mount. It is a two part system: one part customized to fit your car, and the other part customized to fit the GN. I went with a semi universal mount recommended for the GN because I change phones, but this mount is nearly an exact fit. I was able to widen the mount a tad to fit perfectly with my cover on. The mount is also open at the bottom for easy access to the charging port and headphone jack. Proclip is a bit pricey, but now I can stop spending money on bad mounts that I end up not being satisfied with.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

zulu308

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I think I've found one guys!

http://www.amazon.com/Kensington-Qu...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU1539038

I just got it in, and it fits my GNex great! High quality, simple and effective design, no down-side. It has vent mount and windshield mounts. I haven't tried it yet, but it all looks awesome. The reviews on Amazon say that the vent mount might not be the best ever for all vent types, but the rest is great. I know it says for Iphone, but some of the pix show an Evo in a case and some others as well. It fits the Nexus very well. Very secure. Check it out!

think this work w/ the otterbox case as well?

I have a very generic car mount I got from best buy for my mom's iphone, which I'm now using for the gnex w/o the case.

Aguaski

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
One additional item, I had a functioning vent mount and windshield mount before I went with the added expense of Proclip. The reason I did not like a vent mount is because in the winter months I have heat blowing out my vents and it was making my phone too hot which caused charging problems. The vent mount did work great with my Incredible during the summer when cold air was blowing out the vent. If you plan to never run your heater with the phone in the cradle, then a vent mount cradle could be a decent and inexpensive option. I found that windshield mounts required more reaching than I was comfortable doing while driving, and they would occasionally dislodge themselves from the windshield.

jkman

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
One additional item, I had a functioning vent mount and windshield mount before I went with the added expense of Proclip. The reason I did not like a vent mount is because in the winter months I have heat blowing out my vents and it was making my phone too hot which caused charging problems. The vent mount did work great with my Incredible during the summer when cold air was blowing out the vent. If you plan to never run your heater with the phone in the cradle, then a vent mount cradle could be a decent and inexpensive option. I found that windshield mounts required more reaching than I was comfortable doing while driving, and they would occasionally dislodge themselves from the windshield.

You could just close that 1 vent....

or if your car has the option :p, you can have cooler air blowing from the dash vents and hot air coming from all the other vents)

bluesboss2

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
think this work w/ the otterbox case as well?

I have a very generic car mount I got from best buy for my mom's iphone, which I'm now using for the gnex w/o the case.

I'm not sure just how fat the Otterbox is, but I think that the way this is designed, it should hold just about anything. I'm very impressed and I've looked at a lot of mounts.