Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718 ... LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Default Re: [GUIDE] Galaxy Nexus MOD/Palm Touchstone-No soldering on phon

I saw that but I can't get it to work.

I'm doing the mod with the extended battery/cover, so while I've been waiting for magnets I ordered to arrive, I've been playing around with the stock battery cover and the magnets from the Pre battery cover.
    Literally, just the battery cover being held on to the Touchstone dock with the 4 magnets, allowing me to shift them around, get an idea where to situate them etc.

I cannot get two of the Pre magnets to sit next to each other and both to 'stick' - one always seems to be held on place much more than the other.
    So I don't think the magnets are small enough that putting them next to one another helps.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #352  

That's because the Pre discs are not magnets and don't have any polarity. They sit right in the middle of the two magnets used in the Touchstone. When you get your magnets you will see that they will not sit in the Pre cover like the stock discs. They will either be closer or further from center depending on which side you face down.
    Thanked by:
    comprocket and Step666 like this.

They're not?
    How strange.

I assumed the '+' they all had on one side was to indicate polarity.

I'll go for the thinner ones then.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #354  

Me too. but after playing around with them I realize that they aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by Step666 View Post
    If you look at the OP, the copper tape is attached so that the adhesive side is connected to the pogo pins, which means the copper side is connected to the contacts on the circuit-board.
    So the power from the coil is supplied to the circuit-board but because the adhesive side is connected to the pogo pins, there should be no power connected to that.
    I'll bet you are correct. I forgot that the pogo pins were not hard connected to the phone board. But of course they are not, they are embedded in the outer shell. Probably has the wrong side of the tape down. When I followed the instructions I didn't fully appreciate what was happening there. This is why Ohio said that it might make docks which use the pogo pins not work without some solder.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #356  

That's also why I updated the OP to show a method where I folded the tape so that the shiny side contacts both sides "just in case".
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #357  

Quote Originally Posted by mr_schticker View Post
    Well, I've spent several hours on this project so far and I just don't know whats wrong. I get a solid 5.6 reading when I test to pogo pins over the touchstone but the phone just doesn't register a charge at all, no matter what I do. I'm running Franco kernel Milestone 1, I tried the force AC script, even tried Chad's incredicontrol app (not sure if that works with a Franco kernel but I figured why not try).

It should be charging if I get a reading of 5.6 from the pogo pins, right? I've tested and rewired this twice now, I can't find a single place its shorting out and the readings seem good. Anyone run into this? Am I doing something stupid software wise or is this a pure circuit issue?

Thanks
    Any luck with this?

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ohiomoto View Post
    Any luck with this?
    Not yet, I've been really slammed with school lately though I'll post once I get it figured out. I pulled it apart and checked to see the connection was good to the phone rather than the outer case (pins). Basically I made sure the shiny side was to the phone but still no connection.

I'm going to redo the project this weekend though when I get a bit of spare time. I'm sure as some have said I'm just missing something obvious, too many people have made this work for me to have an exception.

Thanks for the suggestions though I'm keeping them in mind when I go back to tooling around with it. I just can't wait to get this to work and give my poor microUSB port a break!
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #359  

FYI The latest version of Codename now includes a toggle option for fast charge.

[AOSP][4.0.3] Codename Android 1.5.5 [Fully Open Source](03/14/12) - RootzWiki

Global Posts
    46 Global Posts

Got zero volts!

After I mounted the coil on the back I had 5.6 volts.

After I soldered the tape to it I now have zero.

Do you think heat damaged the little circuit board?

Thanks.

Default Re: [GUIDE] Galaxy Nexus MOD for Palm Touchstone without solderin

I added 4 more magnets to the back. Works really well and the pull is very, very, very strong. The only problem I can see is it might pull the battery cover off when you pick up the phone!

Click to view quoted image
    Very nice, I did this to my phone after seeing your setup, it holds real nice and tight

I tell you, prying the handset open was a nerve-racking.

Got the replacement set of magnets - powerful little buggers.

Global Posts
    163 Global Posts

This is my set up for the Touchstone + Car Mount
    also posted on XDA

NFC and GPS seem to still work fine.
    One thing I would have done differenty: get a thicker/less wobbly metal plate to support the phone.

[UPDATED] with Parts List

1. Palm Touchstone
    Amazon.com: Palm Touchstone Charging Dock for Palm Pre: Cell Phones & Accessories
    2. Palm Pre Touchstone Compatible Back Cover
    Amazon.com: Palm Pre Touchstone Back Cover: Cell Phones & Accessories
    Or you can just get both 1&2:
    Amazon.com: Palm Touchstone Kit for Palm Pre: Cell Phones & Accessories

3. Epoxy or JB Weld, whatever you like to glue stuff.
    Instant Mix 0.47 fl. oz. Epoxy-1365868 at The Home Depot

4. Garmin Back Plate (anything with the Garmin socket will do)

I'd go with the first one just for convenience.
    For the 2nd one, you will have to trim off the angled parts to have a flat back to glue it to the bottom of the Touchstone puck.
    RPH: RAM Bracket to Garmin Socket Adapter | eBay
    eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
    5. Garmin Suction Cup Base Mount or Air Vent (anything with the Garmin ball will do)
    eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
    GA-WXWM2: Car Suction Cup Windshield Mount for Garmin Nuvi GPS | eBay
    Garmin Nuvi 1200 1250 1260T 1300 Vent Mount (GN047) | eBay
    Personally, I will be using the base taken from this:
    Arkon MG178 Flat Surface Smartphone Mount Suction Attaches to Flat Sur
    Or you can get both 4&5:
    IG-PSTARA+BKT200: Sticky mount & Bracket for Garmin Nuvi 200 205 200W 265WT 275T | eBay
    GA-WXWM2+BKT200: Garmin Nuvi 250 255w 265w 270 275T 285WT Mount + Bracket Cradle | eBay
    Garmin Car Mount Suction Cup Windshield Holder Nuvi 255 255W 260 260W 265 265T | eBay
    IG-A03+BKT200: Spring vent mount & bracket for Garmin Nuvi 205W 255W 265WT 275T | eBay

Optional
    5. Extra Magnets (as discussed earlier in this huge thread)
    6. Scrap Metal Plate (For support, in case you feel the need. Most will not need this)
    7. Art Supply Foam with adhesive back (to prevent scratching the phone if you do use a metal support plate)

Of course, not all of these are the best prices. Also, look around you might find better solutions.
    Like this: Amazon.com: Arkon CM018-ST-AMPS Pedestal - Freedom Mount 5 Inch Windshield Suction Mount with AMPS Head: Electronics
    All you need is some epoxy and you're done.
    Good luck
    Thanked by 2:
    comprocket and ohiomoto like this.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #364  

Nice. Did you spray the Touchstone with Plastidip? I've noticed a few people trying to rubberize their phones for grip and thought that it might help keep the phone on the Touchstone, but it never crossed my mind to spray the puck instead. I no longer see the need now that we've doubled up the magnets (see updated OP). It holds really well now. So well that you could get by without the support you added to your stand.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #365  

Quote Originally Posted by mikemck356 View Post
    Got zero volts!

After I mounted the coil on the back I had 5.6 volts.

After I soldered the tape to it I now have zero.

Do you think heat damaged the little circuit board?

Thanks.
    I haven't had that happen to me yet, but maybe. Have you had any luck getting it to work?

To those having problems with their coils, do you have the silver foil-ish sticker from the Palm battery cover stuck over the top of it?
    Because whilst putting together my battery cover, I just discovered that it won't work without that.

At best it sits at zero and occasionally jumps to maybe 1.5-2v.
    Thanked by:
    comprocket and ohiomoto like this.

Global Posts
    163 Global Posts

Nice. Did you spray the Touchstone with Plastidip? I've noticed a few people trying to rubberize their phones for grip and thought that it might help keep the phone on the Touchstone, but it never crossed my mind to spray the puck instead. I no longer see the need now that we've doubled up the magnets (see updated OP). It holds really well now. So well that you could get by without the support you added to your stand.
    Actually I was trying to hide the upside down palm logo with sandable primer and black paint but got impatient with the multiple sprays.
    I don't think I'll plastidip any surfaces nor will I add any additional magnets. (I don't have either)
    If I do find some magnets to put on, I'll make sure to follow your tips. Thanks for starting this thread!

Quote Originally Posted by googly View Post
    This is my set up for the Touchstone + Car Mount
    also posted on XDA

NFC and GPS seem to still work fine.
    One thing I would have done differenty: get a thicker/less wobbly metal plate to support the phone.
    Could you possible give us a part list(weblinks too ) of everything needed for the mount setup?
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #369  

If you do the parts list, please edit the original post because I put that one in the post #3 for others to reference. Otherwise it will get lost in here after a while.

ROM
    AOKP M3 (4.0.3)

Quote Originally Posted by comprocket View Post
    For those of you wanting to charge at AC speeds instead of USB, Fast Charge Mod is here!

1) Install Franco Kernel (Milestone 1)
    2) Run this script to activate it from the terminal (minus quotes): "echo 1 > /sys/kernel/fast_charge/force_fast_charge"

To turn off:

echo 0 > /sys/kernel/fast_charge/force_fast_charge
    Has anyone else tried this yet? This works for me, but if I reboot the phone, it goes away and I have to do it again. Is there a way to make it stick?
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #371  

Same thing for me. I don't know how to make it stick. Keep in mind that you can't use your I'm using the latest Codename ROM and there is a toggle and I THINK it sticks on reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by barchamb View Post
    Has anyone else tried this yet? This works for me, but if I reboot the phone, it goes away and I have to do it again. Is there a way to make it stick?
    If you buy the Franco kernel updater in the market:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....franco.kernel

It has a toggle so you can switch it really easily, plus it stays on reboot.

ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by Knolly View Post
    If you buy the Franco kernel updater in the market:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....franco.kernel

It has a toggle so you can switch it really easily, plus it stays on reboot.
    How is your battery life on Franco? I am on AOKP stock kernel and get about 10-12 hrs with the extended battery. When I load Franco, I can just about cut that in half! I would rather charge more slowly and get 10+hrs battery...

Global Posts
    46 Global Posts

I haven't had that happen to me yet, but maybe. Have you had any luck getting it to work?
    I am assuming I did damage the little circuit board when soldering. I have ordered a new Pre back to try again.

Meanwhile, when I peel away the damaged coil assembly I will take the opportunity to add 4 more magnets. I am a little afraid the the 4 inner magnets will hit the coil.

Thankfully I won't have to go through the removing the glass routine again.

I am up to 5 touchstones now. They are so cheap that we can put them everywhere now.

I am going to do something similar to the car mount above using an original Droid car mount.

I am going to do a vent mount for my new Fiat using an old Centro mount.

Global Posts
    46 Global Posts

I am wondering if some kind of sticker could cover the (sometimes upside down) Palm logo.
Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718 ... LastLast