Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021 ... LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Default Re: [GUIDE] Galaxy Nexus MOD/Palm Touchstone-No soldering on phon

I have an issue with the voltage dropping to 0 every 10 seconds but only when I have fast USB charge enabled (AC with usb) in Franco's kernel app.

First off I know my electrical stuff and have been going step by step with a meter and the results are interesting.
    This all started when I received my stronger magnets () I was previously using the weak/ not real original magnets.

(in case the url doesn't work these are my magnets)
    Neodymium (NdFeB)
    Grade - 42
    Diameter - 3/16
    Thickness - 1/32
    Pulling Force - 58 lbs per Foot

The way I did the foil tape inside the phone I can still use the pogo pins FYI.
    I set up the new magnets and everything on the cover and tapped it up and got a constant 5.6 volts (for more than 10 seconds!!) give or take.
    Now this is where it gets interesting if I put the cover on the phone and put it on the charger nothing happens so I took the meter to the pogo pins and would get 5.6 volts for 10 seconds then it would drop to 0 quickly then go back to 5.6 volts for another 10 seconds and drop over and over.
    I dont understand why this happening since the pins are basically attached right to the cover with the way I did the foil inside the phone.
    Once I turn off USB fast charge in Franco's kernel app it charges no problem but of course at usb speeds.

Anyone have any ideas on this? I'm guessing this is a rom or kernel issue so I'm going to switch and see what happens, any ideas would be appreciated!!

This wouldn't have anything to do with my magnets would it?

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

Just wondering, is there anyone in the north jersey area that would be able to help me out with this? I'm not too handy with this type of stuff, but would love to get this working in my car.

I'll be willing to pay whoever does this for me thanks
    Last edited by Asdad123; 04-16-2012 at 05:57 PM.

I ordered the parts from ebay, can't wait for it to arrive so I can try on my Atrix, however since I live in brazil, it'll probally take like a month.

Global Posts
    96 Global Posts

So here's my problem and I hope I can get some help...

I did the mod and it worked flawlessly for the first two days both bedside and in the car... Now I cannot get anything. I place my phone on the touchstones and all I get is the magnetism. No charge. Anyone have any ideas? I've checked the alignment of the connections and they all line up... Sorry just frustrated. Thanks in advance.

This is an absolutely amazing mod! I can't tell you how much I've missed the touchstone since moving over from my FrankenPre2. Having it as a car dock was perfect. Unobtrusive and edly convenient. My issue has been that I have an Epic Touch, and the only mod allowing for the touchstone involves some soldering, which I'm not willing at this point to get into. Really, with all the ICS roms coming out, it would be my perfect device if I were able to have touchstone functionality. Does anyone know if this mod would be possible with the Epic? I have got to think it's possible, since they are extremely similar phones.

Quote Originally Posted by VegaMcClintock View Post
    So here's my problem and I hope I can get some help...

I did the mod and it worked flawlessly for the first two days both bedside and in the car... Now I cannot get anything. I place my phone on the touchstones and all I get is the magnetism. No charge. Anyone have any ideas? I've checked the alignment of the connections and they all line up... Sorry just frustrated. Thanks in advance.
    This happened to me a day or two ago. I rebooted, and was back in business.

EDIT: This morning, I was having the same issue; and reboot did nothing. I checked connections and they seemed fine; but I added more solder to the back cover - and that didnt fix it. I then re-fluffed the foam cushions under the tape, and that finally fixed it!
    Last edited by todini; 04-19-2012 at 08:51 AM.

Would it be more beneficial to try this with a qi inductive charger like legacystar since it's the future compared to touchstone (besides price difference and convenience of the dock of touchstones)? Is qi stronger, more able to charge through a case?

Quote Originally Posted by kuchar09 View Post
    I have an issue with the voltage dropping to 0 every 10 seconds but only when I have fast USB charge enabled (AC with usb) in Franco's kernel app.

The way I did the foil tape inside the phone I can still use the pogo pins FYI.
    I set up the new magnets and everything on the cover and tapped it up and got a constant 5.6 volts (for more than 10 seconds!!) give or take.
    Now this is where it gets interesting if I put the cover on the phone and put it on the charger nothing happens so I took the meter to the pogo pins and would get 5.6 volts for 10 seconds then it would drop to 0 quickly then go back to 5.6 volts for another 10 seconds and drop over and over.
    I dont understand why this happening since the pins are basically attached right to the cover with the way I did the foil inside the phone.
    Once I turn off USB fast charge in Franco's kernel app it charges no problem but of course at usb speeds.

Anyone have any ideas on this? I'm guessing this is a rom or kernel issue so I'm going to switch and see what happens, any ideas would be appreciated!!

This wouldn't have anything to do with my magnets would it?
    I had the exact same problem and it has nothing to do with you mod or kernal, believe it or not it's your charger. These palms are very finicky and only with with a few chargers, order some cheap palm branded 1a chargers. I've found not all 1a chargers work, for example Motorola chargers and apple chargers haven't worked for me. My Motorola one worked fine without fast charge but would not with fat charge on.

Just did this to my phone a few days ago and its been working great! I used 8 magnets and it holds just fine in my car. I am also using a Verizon wireless car charger and although tight, the micro-usb charger fits the touchstone and provides reliable charging.

Sent from my Acer Iconia A500 using Tapatalk 2

Ugggggh. Everyone seems to be able to get this mod to work so easily. I have tried the process twice, with 2 different coils, and I still get nothing.

Anyone in Denver who might be able to help? It would be much appreciated.

What charger are you using with your touchstone?

I found that if I could get 5.6V when just the back cover with inductive coil is on the touchstone and it wouldn't charge my phone, then it was the cable/wall plug that was the problem. Also another area that I can see causing problems is the contact between the battery door and the copper tape on the phone. I actually rolled up a piece of double died tape and that provided enough force to keep the pieces of copper tape in contact.

Sent from my Acer Iconia A500 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
    ohiomoto likes this.

I've tried multiple combinations of docks and cables and wall outlets to try to get 5.6v and I have always come up with nothing. Idk if I maybe I received 2 bad docks, 2 bad cables, 2 bad coils? It has been very frustrating. I might have to start from scratch, for the 3rd time, and buy all new parts.

Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by GoBigRed View Post
    I've tried multiple combinations of docks and cables and wall outlets to try to get 5.6v and I have always come up with nothing. Idk if I maybe I received 2 bad docks, 2 bad cables, 2 bad coils? It has been very frustrating. I might have to start from scratch, for the 3rd time, and buy all new parts.
    i just did this to my sprint gnex.
    I have been using the touchstones for my pre phones for over 2 years. I would stick with Palm OEM AC chargers and cables. I have had nothing but trouble getting anything else to work with my touchstones. I have had some cables stop working but the touchstones and the AC adapters have been very reliable
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #440  

Sorry I couldn't help out the past couple of weeks, I was out of town without internet access.

Anyway, most issues I've had in the past were almost always related to the connection between the battery door and phone. The last time I did the mod, I used a bit of foam under the copper tape on both the phone and the door. I found that if you offset the foam with just a bit of overlap, you'll end up with a reliable connection and the door still fits perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonblake View Post
    I had the exact same problem and it has nothing to do with you mod or kernal, believe it or not it's your charger. These palms are very finicky and only with with a few chargers, order some cheap palm branded 1a chargers. I've found not all 1a chargers work, for example Motorola chargers and apple chargers haven't worked for me. My Motorola one worked fine without fast charge but would not with fat charge on.
    Humm ok thanks, I actually have the palm wall chargers. Maybe it doesn't like the power strip I have it plugged into something... idk just weird. It seems to be working right now ok but doubt fast charge will work with my Ringke slim case, not sure why but it just is very hard to get it to want to fast charge with the case.

does the phone charge if i put the coil under the battery door and also have a case on my phone?

I'm using 8 magnets, and I've used a dremel tool to get rid of much of the ridging on the extended battery cover. The back cover now fits as though I hadn't stuffed the coil in there. However, the magnets are so powerful that they will pull the entire back cover off when removing the phone from the Touchstone. I'm not sure if I got a loose fitting back cover or what, because even if I remove the battery to make sure that the cover goes on like normal, the magnets still rip it off. I think I may just get a thin case.

I haven't gotten past that point, however; I just can't get the back off of my phone. I removed all six screws (110% unequivocally, never-been-so-sure-of-anything-else-in-my-life, positive there are no screws left) and used all of my guitar picks around the edge of the glass-- it still won't budge. How are you guys getting the back cover off? D:
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #444  

I just used a razor blade shave the ridges off the back cover. I also had problems with the back cover pulling off the with the 8 magnets. I replaced the cover and that solved the problem.

As for removing the glass, you need to work the picks around the edges. Try sliding them around the edges a little. You should feel the back "un-clipping" from the glass as you go. Once you've loosened enough it it, it will just "release" from the glass with very little effort.

And remember, Google is your friend. Look what I found:

Quote Originally Posted by ohiomoto View Post
    I just used a razor blade shave the ridges off the back cover. I also had problems with the back cover pulling off the with the 8 magnets. I replaced the cover and that solved the problem.

As for removing the glass, you need to work the picks around the edges. Try sliding them around the edges a little. You should feel the back "un-clipping" from the glass as you go. Once you've loosened enough it it, it will just "release" from the glass with very little effort.

That is a video of the GSM version. Wonder if the SIM card really is the only hardware difference to be concerned with.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #446  

The iFixit guide is a GMS version too. The basic process is the same on either phone, I just posted it to show how easy it is to remove the screen.

I went and bought more guitar picks today. I had to put 14 of them in before it finally popped out.

I was originally just going to go with the wire hard-soldered method and skip the copper tape all together, but I decided to give the tape method a try anyway. I put a couple dabs of solder on the back case connections so I can still use the pogo pins (although I don't know if I ever will). Worked problem-free on my first try.

To solve the battery-cover-getting-pulled-off problem, I got a somewhat slim-fitting case. Normally I don't care for cases, but this one is rather unobtrusive. It has a few properties that I like. First, it prevents my batter cover from getting ripped off. Second, it is slim enough that any reduction in magnet strength is negligible. Third, the case's material provides a bit of extra friction against the Touchstone to further prevent sliding. As a cherry on top, it adds that bit of extra protection for the phone as well.

Thanks for the guide!
    Thanked by:
    ohiomoto likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ohiomoto View Post

Not sure how different the back covers are but on my GSM version with 8 magnets the back cover has never come off and feels very secure.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #449  

Mine had been taken on and off a bunch of times. The new one holds perfect. Love the 8 magnets too. Very happy with the mod right now. Now if I could just get webOS on this phone...LOL.

Anyone try this with the Sprint Version yet? I am not sure if there is enough room to fit the coil.
Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021 ... LastLast