Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 16171819202122 ... LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Default Re: [GUIDE] Galaxy Nexus MOD/Palm Touchstone-No soldering on phon

Quote Originally Posted by diggforbeer View Post
    Anyone try this with the Sprint Version yet? I am not sure if there is enough room to fit the coil.
    I believe Sprint GNex is very similar to the Verizon one. I've heard that, with a small modification, a Verizon GNex battery door can be made to fit a Sprint GNex. Ergo, this mod should be entirely possible on a Sprint handset.

I tried this mod today, and after removing the coil from the palm pre back cover and putting it onto my galaxy nexus back cover, I'm hearing this buzzing that goes on and off every second when it is placed on the palm touchstone.

Is this normal? Or did I break the coil when I was prying it out of the palm pre back cover?

EDIT: I'm using the standard Palm charger and cable that came with my hp touchpad

Global Posts
    351 Global Posts
    ROM
    Team XRON; Sense or Aosp

Quote Originally Posted by xDarKnighTx View Post
    I tried this mod today, and after removing the coil from the palm pre back cover and putting it onto my galaxy nexus back cover, I'm hearing this buzzing that goes on and off every second when it is placed on the palm touchstone.

Is this normal? Or did I break the coil when I was prying it out of the palm pre back cover?

EDIT: I'm using the standard Palm charger and cable that came with my hp touchpad
    The sound is normal of a inductive transformer. It is clicking on and off meaning either the magnets aren't situated correctly and the magnetic field isn't strong enough or the input source isn't strong enough as in non OEM HP charger base

Quote Originally Posted by Runningwarrior08 View Post
    The sound is normal of a inductive transformer. It is clicking on and off meaning either the magnets aren't situated correctly and the magnetic field isn't strong enough or the input source isn't strong enough as in non OEM HP charger base
    I'm definitely using an OEM HP charger, and I'm using 8 magnets.

However, I removed the silver T-shaped sticker from the coil. Is this piece needed? I saw the picture in the OP and i didn't see the silver sticker there, so I thought it's safe to remove.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #455  

Silver sticker is there in the OP and I've never noticed the sound you described.

Quote Originally Posted by ohiomoto View Post
    Silver sticker is there in the OP and I've never noticed the sound you described.
    This was the picture i'm referring to that didn't seem to have the silver sticker:

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg828...jpg&res=medium

So just to clarify, is the silver sticker needed?
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #457  

That's because it was still stuck to the black sticker as shown in the first picture. I don't know for sure if it's needed, but I'm sure Palm put it there for a reason. Why complicate things by not using it? You know what I'm saying?

Either way, the coil should produce 5.6v.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #458  

1) Not sure if it's normal because I never noticed this myself, but it is possible to damage the coil. Did you test it to see if it is producing 5.6 volts?

2) The Touchpad charger is NOT the same as the Palm charger. Produces twice the power. You should be using the Palm charger or the charger that came with the Galaxy Nexus.

I noticed my mistake - so it turns out i needed that silver piece of sticker.

first time I placed the sticker underneath the coil (between the coil and the back cover), and this caused 0 volts to go through to the 2 points.

next, i removed the silver sticker completely, and that's how i got the constant 1-second buzz sound, and i see it jump from 0 to 0.5v every second.

now, i put this silver sticker on top of the coil, and it worked! I'm getting a constant 5.6v!

thanks for the help, hope this info will help others that are trying this mod.

Quote Originally Posted by vash1053 View Post
    I went and bought more guitar picks today. I had to put 14 of them in before it finally popped out.

I was originally just going to go with the wire hard-soldered method and skip the copper tape all together, but I decided to give the tape method a try anyway. I put a couple dabs of solder on the back case connections so I can still use the pogo pins (although I don't know if I ever will). Worked problem-free on my first try.

To solve the battery-cover-getting-pulled-off problem, I got a somewhat slim-fitting case. Normally I don't care for cases, but this one is rather unobtrusive. It has a few properties that I like. First, it prevents my batter cover from getting ripped off. Second, it is slim enough that any reduction in magnet strength is negligible. Third, the case's material provides a bit of extra friction against the Touchstone to further prevent sliding. As a cherry on top, it adds that bit of extra protection for the phone as well.

Thanks for the guide!

Thank you so much for this post. I just dropped my Nexus day demoing the phone to a customer (I'm a VZW agent). Samsung is charging me $163 to repair it which is much better than paying $258 for a replacement screen off of ebay.

Anyway my point is after I did this mod I quit using my commuter series otterbox b/c I couldn't find a case that would work well with the inductive coil AND hold on to it at the same time. I'm now ordering the case you recommended. Thanks again.

This may have been asked already, and if so I apologize for asking again, but is it possible to use the coil from the palm back with a different type of wireless charger, like one of the charging mats? These all work in a similar way, don't they? I've always liked the mats, but they don't make them for many phones.

Quote Originally Posted by Clak View Post
    This may have been asked already, and if so I apologize for asking again, but is it possible to use the coil from the palm back with a different type of wireless charger, like one of the charging mats? These all work in a similar way, don't they? I've always liked the mats, but they don't make them for many phones.
    There are a handful of inductive charging protocols and I don't believe they are cross compatible. I'm almost 100% certain there are none that are compatible with Palm's touchstone system. For a higher degree of compatibility you may try a Qi coil & charger. It's one of the standards competing to be THE standard for inductive charging, however small that race may be, so you may be more likely to find a variety of compatible chargers in that ecosystem.

besides HP's USB cable, what other USB cables fit the touchstone? I got 2 more touchstone pucks, but all of my micro USB cables don't fit, except the one that came with my HP Touchpad.

That's actually what I was thinking of, if the Palm coil would work with a Qi charging mat. I know I could gt a Qi cover and probably rip the coil out of it as well, but Palm's design seems easier to take apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Clak View Post
    That's actually what I was thinking of, if the Palm coil would work with a Qi charging mat. I know I could gt a Qi cover and probably rip the coil out of it as well, but Palm's design seems easier to take apart.
    yes it's easy to remove Palm coils with your bare hands but I doubt it's much additional effort to remove any other coil.

You could probably assemble one without too much trouble using components like a Vishay coil (part# IWAS4832FFEB9R7J50) and a Texas Instruments IC that's Qi 1.0 compatible (part# BFQ500210).

EDIT: links for parts
    TI inductive charging IC (even looks like they carry an IC/coil pre-assembled combo)
    http://www.mouser.com/search/refine....&Ntt=180860444

and the induction coil
    http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...NcQjy7Gw%3d%3d

Quote Originally Posted by Runningwarrior08 View Post
    There is a solution to what you are talking about on webOS nation website. What you need to do is try using a business card and putting it on the touchstone, then place your Galaxy on it and see if the on off problem stops. You need to do a search on webosnation and you will find out what to do next. If you are getting voltage intermittant, then you did not mess up the coils, its just that with all of the Touchstones made, some of them have a slight flaw that make the coil too close in the inductive part in the touchstone, hence needing more separation (thickness of a business card) to prevent on off problems.

besides HP's USB cable, what other USB cables fit the touchstone? I got 2 more touchstone pucks, but all of my micro USB cables don't fit, except the one that came with my HP Touchpad.
    I'm a Palm Pre user who just switched over to the Nexus after 3 years on WebOS. Just get an exacto knife and trim around it and then it will fit into the touchstone. No need for the official palm cable. I did this with 3 of the 6 touchstones I have accumulated over the past 3 years.

If I put a continuity tool on the two outside pogo pins (ignoring the middle one) I only get a very short beep indicating continuity. I get a very brief beep when contacting the foil strips that wrap around near the battery (the contacts for the phone portion that come into contact with the back door).

I cannot for the life of me get a charge. I can hear the inductive coil working, I get continuity between the two foil strips on the back plate, etc. The door does bulge an awful lot right where they're making contact, but it certainly looks like they are making contact. I just can't tell...
    Last edited by Headcase_Fargone; 05-10-2012 at 02:27 PM.

I'm definitely using an OEM HP charger, and I'm using 8 magnets.

However, I removed the silver T-shaped sticker from the coil. Is this piece needed? I saw the picture in the OP and i didn't see the silver sticker there, so I thought it's safe to remove.

It is not a "silver sticker" it is a metal sticker. It is required. Do not remove it. It is a shield to prevent the magnetic field from energizing anything other than the inductive coils. You can potentially damage things in your phone if you remove that shield. USE IT.

Quote Originally Posted by votageROCK View Post
    I'm a Palm Pre user who just switched over to the Nexus after 3 years on WebOS. Just get an exacto knife and trim around it and then it will fit into the touchstone. No need for the official palm cable. I did this with 3 of the 6 touchstones I have accumulated over the past 3 years.
    It's not that simple. The cable/charger combo must have the correct pinouts otherwise it will not charge. Other cables/chargers will work fine as long as they have the proper pins shorted (D+ and D-) and can provide adequate amperage.

I did this mod in about 10 minutes this afternoon. I didn't use any solder and used an upside down Pixi coil instead. The phone is charging in A/C mode w/o fast charge enabled and everything seems to be working fine other than a slight bulge on the left side of the phone where the foam pads are. I think I may trim them down a bit.

Really easy and handy mod for under $20. Now I need some metal friendly NFC stickers to throw on the touchstones.

txyaloo -

I wanted NFC tags too, but had a hard time getting them to work the way I wanted. Then I heard about the app Tasker, which does even more than I hoped the tags could do.

Quote Originally Posted by txyaloo View Post
    I did this mod in about 10 minutes this afternoon. I didn't use any solder and used an upside down Pixi coil instead. The phone is charging in A/C mode w/o fast charge enabled and everything seems to be working fine other than a slight bulge on the left side of the phone where the foam pads are. I think I may trim them down a bit.

Really easy and handy mod for under $20. Now I need some metal friendly NFC stickers to throw on the touchstones.
    The coil will interfere with the NFC when it is charging - electronic interference. I put an NFC tag on the underside of my dash - I just wave my phone in front of it before I mount it. I just got some NFC keychains from buynfctags.com. They were pretty cheap. I will use them in the future in the car.

Quote Originally Posted by StrongerGravity View Post
    The coil will interfere with the NFC when it is charging - electronic interference. I put an NFC tag on the underside of my dash - I just wave my phone in front of it before I mount it. I just got some NFC keychains from buynfctags.com. They were pretty cheap. I will use them in the future in the car.
    Have you tried the ones designed to go on metal? I ordered a few to test out. It's definitely not the coil. I can take the back off and still have problems.

I can get this one to fire if I hold the phone just right.

Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

OK so I have put mine inside a diztronic case. Last night I had the copper tape reading 5.6 on the multimeter and today it won't read past .2 I removed the copper tape from the coil and even re-soldered it. Still can't get 5.6 anywhere except at the coil itself. Any help would be appreciated.
Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 16171819202122 ... LastLast