Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

ROM
    KANG cm9/Franco

Default Re: [GUIDE] Galaxy Nexus MOD for Palm Touchstone without solderin

I am so happy I will now have a dock/charger for my car and it's wireless.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #102  

Quote Originally Posted by freeskier44 View Post
    Cheepest stuff I could find! Works great just cut it into 1/4 inch strips.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Link added to OP.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    CM7

Cheepest stuff I could find! Works great just cut it into 1/4 inch strips.

Good find. I only had 22 gauge wire and couldn't get the case to close "right". It felt like it was bulging on the side. I desoldered and ordered some conducive tape. I like the idea if being able to remove the cover without the mess of the wire anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by CBMC View Post
    Good find. I only had 22 gauge wire and couldn't get the case to close "right". It felt like it was bulging on the side. I desoldered and ordered some conducive tape. I like the idea if being able to remove the cover without the mess of the wire anyways.

That a HUGE! for me using 28 gauge wire still made it bulge

ROM
    CM7

That a HUGE! for me using 28 gauge wire still made it bulge

Yes. That is why I just decided to go the conductive tape route. I think it was 22 gauge. It very well might have been 24 gauge. It was left over from some other projects I had done in the past. Bottom line, it wasn't going to fit. I didn't want to pay (and wait) for the conductive tape. But when I saw the ebay link for the that price I thought that it would be a better option.

I read through a number of pages and ran a search and didn't seem to have an answer to this, so here goes:

Anyone know if there'd be any issue doing this with the GSM version of the phone? I know the Verizon model is thicker, but I'm thinking that's to accommodate the thicker battery, in which case it would provide the same amount of "extra" space for fitting the coil and such?

Any thoughts would be appreciated! I'm pretty much set to order three of these touchstones -- home, car, and office... =D

Quote Originally Posted by yoni45 View Post
    I read through a number of pages and ran a search and didn't seem to have an answer to this, so here goes:

Anyone know if there'd be any issue doing this with the GSM version of the phone? I know the Verizon model is thicker, but I'm thinking that's to accommodate the thicker battery, in which case it would provide the same amount of "extra" space for fitting the coil and such?

Any thoughts would be appreciated! I'm pretty much set to order three of these touchstones -- home, car, and office... =D
    I don't have any proof it will work but I'm 99.9% sure it would. There wouldn't be any reason it shouldn't. You could always just give it a try! Its a pretty cheap mod.

If the thickness is an issue, you can do what I did. I mounted the hardware in a SEDIO active case. I cut a hole in the rubber inner lining, and glued the coil and magents on the back of the hard part. I used wires to connect the coil to the copper tape.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #109  

Pictures? Did you drill through the battery door to run the wires?

I can throw some pictures together.

What I did was take the standard battery cover (I used the extended battery) and I cut a hole through it the same size as the battery so that the standard cover would fit well but left enough gap to run two 30 gauge wires through.

I applied the copper tape to the phone just like the guide here says, but instead of putting tape on the cover, i laid two strips of copper tape along a piece of electrical tape, spaced appart just like the tape on the phone. I attached the wires to these two copper strips. I sandwitch the electrical tape and copper between the battery and the side. That way, I can remove the case when I want (since it is not attached) .

It sounds a lot worse than it was. Ill get some pictures together.

Anyone know if the Pixi inductive cover has the same hardware, or should I go only for the original Pre coil?

Quote Originally Posted by yoni45 View Post
    Anyone know if the Pixi inductive cover has the same hardware, or should I go only for the original Pre coil?
    When I ordered my hardware I accidentally bought the Pixie back cover instead of the Pre. The hardware I received was slightly different than the OP. The contacts are located in a different location relative to the coil. But the biggest problem was that I was not able to place the magnets such that the hardware and magnets didn't overlap. I could not get the cover to completely close on my GNex. I suggest sticking with the Pre. Only $4 plus shipping from Amazon. I ordered one for myself and I'm planning to redo that portion of the mod this weekend.

Good to know!

One more: do I need the specific charging cable for the touchstone, or is it just a micro USB?
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #114  

Overall, I prefer the Palm cables and chargers, but most USB cables will work fine. I've had a couple of car chargers that didn't fit right, but you can sand them down. I'm using a Palm car charger now and I like it because I can pull the USB cable off and use it with my laptop in a pinch.

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ohiomoto View Post
    Overall, I prefer the Palm cables and chargers, but most USB cables will work fine. I've had a couple of car chargers that didn't fit right, but you can sand them down. I'm using a Palm car charger now and I like it because I can pull the USB cable off and use it with my laptop in a pinch.
    Most OE chargers are this way now. USB cord that plugs into the wall wart or cigarette style car charger.

I bought the cables with the touchstones because I wasn't sure. But they are just micro USB to USB. They are a little longer than the cable that came with the GNex. Also the micro USB connector has to fit up inside the touchstone a bit. Kind of a tight fit. Can anyone confirm that a cable not intended for the touchstone will fit?

Just ordered all the parts! Thank you very much Ohiomoto, with your super detailed directions I should have this mod complete in no time!!! I will report back soon...

ROM
    CM7

Quote Originally Posted by ScooberJake View Post
    I bought the cables with the touchstones because I wasn't sure. But they are just micro USB to USB. They are a little longer than the cable that came with the GNex. Also the micro USB connector has to fit up inside the touchstone a bit. Kind of a tight fit. Can anyone confirm that a cable not intended for the touchstone will fit?
    The Samsung cable that came with the Nexus will fit. A Usb to micro usb cable that I got with my kindle does not. Like you said it is a pretty tight recessed spot that the micro usb has to fit into. If the plug is wider than the Samsung plug then it probably won't fit without somehow shrinking the plug on the cable.

I noticed that with the extended battery+cover it bulged out a bit too much for my taste(I even removed the plastic over the chips on the inductive coil to save a small bit of room).

To remedy this I just went back to the regular battery but kept the extended battery cover. Feels/looks perfect now It really is amazing how easy it is to get the back cover off with a few guitar picks once the screws are removed.

Also of note, I didn't notice any "warranty check" tripwire stickers unless they were very cleverly concealed.
    ohiomoto likes this.

Any word if it will stop charging when fully charged? Sorry if I missed the answer already.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #121  

Yes. It will stop charging when battery is full.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #122  

Quote Originally Posted by Natolx View Post
    I noticed that with the extended battery+cover it bulged out a bit too much for my taste(I even removed the plastic over the chips on the inductive coil to save a small bit of room).

To remedy this I just went back to the regular battery but kept the extended battery cover. Feels/looks perfect now It really is amazing how easy it is to get the back cover off with a few guitar picks once the screws are removed.

Also of note, I didn't notice any "warranty check" tripwire stickers unless they were very cleverly concealed.
    Thanks for pointing this out. I originally planned on having to use the stock battery with the extended battery door. I'm very pleased with how mine fits with the extended battery in it, but this is an option. I'll add it to post #3. I'll also try to get a picture of my finished phone added to the guide.

I was able to switch out the Pixie hardware that I originally had for the Pre. Much better fit now.

Another thing to note about placement of the coil. It has already been mentioned that since the GNex is longer than the Pre, you have to be careful not to put the coil too far up on the GNex cover or the phone will hit your desktop before the magnets/coil fully engage (with the phone in portrait orientation). Another thing to remember is that the headphone jack is on the bottom of the Nexus. So if you want to be able to charge and plug in headphones (as I often do) then you will need to leave room for that. I tried not to cut it too close on the bottom of the phone (in other words my coil and magnets are placed slightly lower on the back cover than the OP). I didn't think about the headphones ahead of time, but it barely works. If I get a chance I will take a picture of it to show what I mean.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #124  

Good ideas, but keep in mind that if you plan on using the Touchstone in the car, you have to be careful about how the phone sits on the Touchstone. I made sure my phone has clearance whether its right side up or upside down. If I didn't, the top of my phone hits the dashboard when using it in the car because the Touchstone is upside down in the car (which lets you use the USB port in the car if extra charging power is need). I played with the location of the magnets for a while before installing the Palm components making adjustments until I was happy with the location.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear the Pre hardware is working better for you and you have the magnets placed where you like them. The cool thing about this mod is that you can change things to suit your needs. I would love to see pictures of how others mods ended up.

Thanks OP for the guide and everyone who has contributed with their experiences! I am very close to ordering the parts for the mod but I haven't heard too much about how well this mod works with cases. If you guys are able to use a case and still charge the phone, which cases are you using? Thanks in advanced!
Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast