Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Default Re: [GUIDE] Galaxy Nexus MOD for Palm Touchstone without solderin

Oh, one other thing...

I know that you have to be pretty careful where you mount the coil to ensure NFC works ok.
    But what about GPS?

I only ask because I know that the after-market metal battery covers out there not only kill NFC but have an effect on GPS performance too and I just wanted to see if it was the same for this too.

Quote Originally Posted by kichard View Post
    ...do you think this would work without the final solder..?
    My guess is it will, but I haven't tried it. Maybe Ohiomoto will respond, he might know.

Quote Originally Posted by Step666 View Post
    Oh, one other thing...

I know that you have to be pretty careful where you mount the coil to ensure NFC works ok.
    But what about GPS?

I only ask because I know that the after-market metal battery covers out there not only kill NFC but have an effect on GPS performance too and I just wanted to see if it was the same for this too.
    I didn't notice any change in GPS, but I haven't done any testing. My guess is it will not affect GPS. The coil goes right over the battery, which is where the NFC chip is housed, so it makes sense that it could affect that. I don't know where the GPS radio is mounted, but it's not on the battery, so I don't think the coil will affect it.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by ScooberJake View Post
    I didn't notice any change in GPS, but I haven't done any testing. My guess is it will not affect GPS. The coil goes right over the battery, which is where the NFC chip is housed, so it makes sense that it could affect that. I don't know where the GPS radio is mounted, but it's not on the battery, so I don't think the coil will affect it.
    I didn't think it would but it was worth asking - if a metal battery cover can affect it, it must be pretty near to the battery.

ROM
    CM7

Quote Originally Posted by ScooberJake View Post
    I used gps a little bit. No effect with the 1/4 inch magnets mentioned in the op.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #156  

GPS works fine for me.

As for soldering to the coil's PCB, I found it was needed. The adhesive side of the copper tape is supposed to be conductive, but when I tested it with the volt meter, it wasn't conducting the current to the tape without the solder.

Quote Originally Posted by ohiomoto View Post
    As for soldering to the coil's PCB, I found it was needed. The adhesive side of the copper tape is supposed to be conductive, but when I tested it with the volt meter, it wasn't conducting the current to the tape without the solder.
    That's a bit weird - it wasn't conducting on the adhesive side for the coil but it was fine for the contacts at the other end...
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #158  

The way it's taped down on the other end, the shiny side makes contact with the pins on the board and the sticky side is on the pogo pin contacts. That's why I noted that you might want to solder that end if you plan on using the pogp pins. I also added that you could try folding the tape so that the shiny side made contact with both sides when you assemble the phone.

ROM
    KANG cm9/Franco

Dang, that'd be perfect if I could skip the solder. I don't own a gun, my friend has one but he's too lazy to dig it out from the depths. I guess giving it a shot couldn't hurt.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #160  

I've just posted an instructable on how to hide the MicroUSB cable coming out of the back of the Touchstone. it can help clean up the look if you're mounting in a car.

PALM Touchstone Hidden USB cable
    ohiomoto and rksung like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ohiomoto View Post
    The way it's taped down on the other end, the shiny side makes contact with the pins on the board and the sticky side is on the pogo pin contacts. That's why I noted that you might want to solder that end if you plan on using the pogp pins. I also added that you could try folding the tape so that the shiny side made contact with both sides when you assemble the phone.
    My apologies.
    I don't have all the kit yet, so I hadn't opened my handset up and I hadn't grasped the way it was all connected up.

The POS eBay seller I ordered the Touchstone docks from is trying to back out on the deal, claiming there's no stock available even though he still has 3 or 4 listings active.
    Reckon he's changed his mind about the offer I'd made/he'd accepted.

Just wrote up a big response to post on my failure and disappointment with the process, but figured out what went wrong. In other words it works. It took about 2.5 hours of uninterrupted time. Got everything in place but I could not get the back plate copper to connect to the side plate copper. finally figured out 2 things. First my side shell was not all the way back on. And second, the copper tape going from the coil was not picking up on my voltmeter. I think that when I was trying to rework it the grease on my hands or perhaps the copper itself lost its ability to conduct. Replaced that and all was well.

One other problem I haven't figured out yet is back plate fitting over the extended battery. I've tried and tried and it just does not snap on. Right now the ext. plate fits perfect over the stock battery. I am gonna try reworking a bit and see if I can't make it fit.

Another thing is the magnets. I would definitely go with the super magnets in the link on OP. The ones on the pre were weak. I tried them out and realized pretty quick they were going to suck.

As for a case. I have the Diztronic case on, and believe it or not it is charging through the effing case! I thought I was going to have to turn this thing into a bumper. It does look to be charging at a slower speed though, so maybe a no-go in the long run.

As for my skills, this was the first time I've ever done something like this. As long as you take your time, don't get in a hurry, and make sure you do quality work then it is not difficult.
    ohiomoto likes this.

ROM
    KANG cm9/Franco

I just spent around 2 hours doing this mod. It's not hard, just time consuming. I can't get the cover to close completely no matter where I put the coil so I scrapped it. If anyone wants some copper tape PM me.

***This mod uses components that use the Qi standard for inductive charging and not the palm touchstone, as palm and powermat use proprietary charging methods. I used them because not only is Qi the standard going foward, it's all i actually had at the time lol***

Here is my mod. I have been waiting to do this since before the nexus came out. i used to have a thunderbolt with a wireless charging setup from verizon. i sold the Tbolt but kept the back cover.

So this mod is done with the Thunderbolt inductive charge cover.

the Main difference between this mod and the palm touchstone is that all verizon phones with wireless charging doors all have 4 pin instead of 2. i located the pin that was throwing 5Volts and just connected that and the ground just like the OP's post said. but when i tried to charge it, nothing happened and the pad was blinking red. Long story short, there are 2 powers and 2 grounds. one power is only 3volts and one is 5volts. when you connect the 3volt to the 5volt it still only outputs 5volts. so both grounds need to be soldered together and both powers need to be soldered together.

Excuse the sloppy look, i just finished, going to go back and touch it up and make it look all pretty later

I do have one suggestion for you guys. anyone the Copper tape (which you can buy at lowes in the gardening section, apparently it's used to guard against snails) and dont want to use tape to cover the exposed power lines, i suggest getting a can of black spraypaint and coating the tape except for the points of contact. this way nothing gets shorted out and it looks professional.
    Last edited by Legacystar; 02-06-2012 at 03:47 PM.
    Thanked by 2:
    ohiomoto and oliberlin like this.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #166  

Cool. thanks for sharing and nice tip on the copper tape at Lowes.

Wait I know of the touchstone but what are you using to charge with? What's this device called?

Quote Originally Posted by imomperousse View Post
    Wait I know of the touchstone but what are you using to charge with? What's this device called?
    Is that addressed to Legacystar?

If so, then I'm pretty certain it's part of the inductive charging kit Verizon sell for the Thunderbolt - comes with it's own pad rather like Powermat's pads.

Quote Originally Posted by Step666 View Post
    Is that addressed to Legacystar?

If so, then I'm pretty certain it's part of the inductive charging kit Verizon sell for the Thunderbolt - comes with it's own pad rather like Powermat's pads.
    Yea sorry was for legacy star...didn't even know there was one out for the thunderbolt...any advantages going the thunderbolt route?

it is the pad that verizon sells in there stores an online. it is a Qi compatible charger
    Set Your Location

i got a deal on my pad but $49 is rather expensive for a 1 position charger. I plan on getting the 2 position plus usb plug version from Energizer
    Amazon.com: Energizer Qi-Enabled 3 Position Inductive Charger (Black): Health & Personal Care

Yea sorry was for legacy star...didn't even know there was one out for the thunderbolt...any advantages going the thunderbolt route?

as far as i know ( and i just realized this, may have to edit my write up) Palm doesn't use the Qi standard for wireless charging, just like powermat, i think its proprietary. So i guess the advantage of going with the thunderbolt is i can use a variety of charge pads and it's also future proof since Qi is the standard for inductive charging going forward. also the magnets are in the pad itself and not on the phone so no need to worry about magnetic interference. the pad is attracted to the copper coil and it sticks decently

I would like to point out you don't have to use the one from the thunderbolt specifically, as a number of Verizon devices have inductive back covers available, some at only a few dollars.
    http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/s...&categoryId=18

At this time it seems the thunderbolt one isn't being listed on verizons website anymore, but my instructions for wiring up verizon chargers will work because, from what i've seen, they all have 4 pins
    Last edited by Legacystar; 02-06-2012 at 03:51 PM.

Whilst it's certainly a shame that the Touchstone doesn't conform to the Qi standard (though in Palm's defence, I believe it pre-dates the standard's creation), for now the relatively cheap and plentiful nature of the Touchstone equipment makes it less of an issue.

By the time Qi takes off enough for it to be an issue, I would imagine that a lot of phones will have the equipment built in - IMO of course.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #173  

For me, the big advantage to the Touchstone besides the fact that I already have a bunch of them is that it can be used as a car dock. That and i like the compactness and look of them. They don't look out of place on the nightstand of kitchen counter IMO.

Global Posts
    115 Global Posts

Thank you for this awesome guide! I look forward to trying it when I receive my GSM Galaxy Nexus-hopefully it works just as well!

Did anyone try and have success with different magnets? I've tried finding cheaper options on eBay but those that are the correct size are N35. But I believe there are some 8mmx1mm as someone else here mentioned. I just don't want to risk bigger magnets if they are more likely to interfere with NFC/compass/GPS.

Thanks!
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #175  

The compass is probably already hosed, GPS should be fine and not sure about NFC. You should be fine with the larger magnets.
Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast