[GUIDE] Galaxy Nexus MOD/Palm Touchstone-No soldering on phone!!

kichard

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: [GUIDE] Galaxy Nexus MOD for Palm Touchstone without solderin

I am so happy I will now have a dock/charger for my car and it's wireless.

CBMC

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Cheepest stuff I could find! Works great just cut it into 1/4 inch strips.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=170727277343&index=0&nav=SEARCH&nid=71140590420
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Good find. I only had 22 gauge wire and couldn't get the case to close "right". It felt like it was bulging on the side. I desoldered and ordered some conducive tape. I like the idea if being able to remove the cover without the mess of the wire anyways.

freeskier44

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Good find. I only had 22 gauge wire and couldn't get the case to close "right". It felt like it was bulging on the side. I desoldered and ordered some conducive tape. I like the idea if being able to remove the cover without the mess of the wire anyways.

That a HUGE! for me using 28 gauge wire still made it bulge

CBMC

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
That a HUGE! for me using 28 gauge wire still made it bulge

Yes. That is why I just decided to go the conductive tape route. I think it was 22 gauge. It very well might have been 24 gauge. It was left over from some other projects I had done in the past. Bottom line, it wasn't going to fit. I didn't want to pay (and wait) for the conductive tape. But when I saw the ebay link for the that price I thought that it would be a better option.

yoni45

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site

I read through a number of pages and ran a search and didn't seem to have an answer to this, so here goes:

Anyone know if there'd be any issue doing this with the GSM version of the phone? I know the Verizon model is thicker, but I'm thinking that's to accommodate the thicker battery, in which case it would provide the same amount of "extra" space for fitting the coil and such?

Any thoughts would be appreciated! I'm pretty much set to order three of these touchstones -- home, car, and office... =D

freeskier44

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I read through a number of pages and ran a search and didn't seem to have an answer to this, so here goes:

Anyone know if there'd be any issue doing this with the GSM version of the phone? I know the Verizon model is thicker, but I'm thinking that's to accommodate the thicker battery, in which case it would provide the same amount of "extra" space for fitting the coil and such?

Any thoughts would be appreciated! I'm pretty much set to order three of these touchstones -- home, car, and office... =D

I don't have any proof it will work but I'm 99.9% sure it would. There wouldn't be any reason it shouldn't. You could always just give it a try! Its a pretty cheap mod.

mjhubbard

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site

If the thickness is an issue, you can do what I did. I mounted the hardware in a SEDIO active case. I cut a hole in the rubber inner lining, and glued the coil and magents on the back of the hard part. I used wires to connect the coil to the copper tape.

ohiomoto

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site

Pictures? Did you drill through the battery door to run the wires?

mjhubbard

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site

I can throw some pictures together.

What I did was take the standard battery cover (I used the extended battery) and I cut a hole through it the same size as the battery so that the standard cover would fit well but left enough gap to run two 30 gauge wires through.

I applied the copper tape to the phone just like the guide here says, but instead of putting tape on the cover, i laid two strips of copper tape along a piece of electrical tape, spaced appart just like the tape on the phone. I attached the wires to these two copper strips. I sandwitch the electrical tape and copper between the battery and the side. That way, I can remove the case when I want (since it is not attached) .

It sounds a lot worse than it was. Ill get some pictures together.

yoni45

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site

Anyone know if the Pixi inductive cover has the same hardware, or should I go only for the original Pre coil?

ScooberJake

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site

Anyone know if the Pixi inductive cover has the same hardware, or should I go only for the original Pre coil?

When I ordered my hardware I accidentally bought the Pixie back cover instead of the Pre. The hardware I received was slightly different than the OP. The contacts are located in a different location relative to the coil. But the biggest problem was that I was not able to place the magnets such that the hardware and magnets didn't overlap. I could not get the cover to completely close on my GNex. I suggest sticking with the Pre. Only $4 plus shipping from Amazon. I ordered one for myself and I'm planning to redo that portion of the mod this weekend.

yoni45

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site

Good to know!

One more: do I need the specific charging cable for the touchstone, or is it just a micro USB?

ohiomoto

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site

Overall, I prefer the Palm cables and chargers, but most USB cables will work fine. I've had a couple of car chargers that didn't fit right, but you can sand them down. I'm using a Palm car charger now and I like it because I can pull the USB cable off and use it with my laptop in a pinch.

Lithoss

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Overall, I prefer the Palm cables and chargers, but most USB cables will work fine. I've had a couple of car chargers that didn't fit right, but you can sand them down. I'm using a Palm car charger now and I like it because I can pull the USB cable off and use it with my laptop in a pinch.
Most OE chargers are this way now. USB cord that plugs into the wall wart or cigarette style car charger.

ScooberJake

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site

I bought the cables with the touchstones because I wasn't sure. But they are just micro USB to USB. They are a little longer than the cable that came with the GNex. Also the micro USB connector has to fit up inside the touchstone a bit. Kind of a tight fit. Can anyone confirm that a cable not intended for the touchstone will fit?

Boynamedstacy

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site

Just ordered all the parts! Thank you very much Ohiomoto, with your super detailed directions I should have this mod complete in no time!!! I will report back soon...

CBMC

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I bought the cables with the touchstones because I wasn't sure. But they are just micro USB to USB. They are a little longer than the cable that came with the GNex. Also the micro USB connector has to fit up inside the touchstone a bit. Kind of a tight fit. Can anyone confirm that a cable not intended for the touchstone will fit?

The Samsung cable that came with the Nexus will fit. A Usb to micro usb cable that I got with my kindle does not. Like you said it is a pretty tight recessed spot that the micro usb has to fit into. If the plug is wider than the Samsung plug then it probably won't fit without somehow shrinking the plug on the cable.

Natolx

Dec 18, 2009
Visit site

I noticed that with the extended battery+cover it bulged out a bit too much for my taste(I even removed the plastic over the chips on the inductive coil to save a small bit of room).

To remedy this I just went back to the regular battery but kept the extended battery cover. Feels/looks perfect now :) It really is amazing how easy it is to get the back cover off with a few guitar picks once the screws are removed.

Also of note, I didn't notice any "warranty check" tripwire stickers unless they were very cleverly concealed.

JJHunter

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

Any word if it will stop charging when fully charged? Sorry if I missed the answer already.