[GUIDE] Galaxy Nexus MOD/Palm Touchstone-No soldering on phone!!

chessmaster24

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: [GUIDE] Galaxy Nexus MOD for Palm Touchstone without solderin

Just bought all of the needed pieces, and bought some NFC tags to go with! Can't wait for everything to arrive, thanks for the guide!

ohiomoto

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site

If you read the long pre thread referenced in another post there is a long discussion about charging rate in the car. It seems like it is possible to get the 1 amp charging rate with the right charger and/or a usb cable mod.
Something about using a non-data capable cord?

imomperousse

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site

Something about using a non-data capable cord?

Yeah this is what you want, appearantly a lot of chargers are made with the "apple standard" which is not the usb standard that we would expect. Using a charging only cable will allow you to get the full potential out of your charge. Here is a link to what I got, seems to be working fine for me, never tried it in the car with the touchstone.....still patiently waiting for the pogo pin dock for that.

Oh and by the way OHIOMOTO, thanks for the mod, did it in about an hour and it was exactly as you explained it. I used the original magnets so it doesn't hold through my VZW case with the built in kickstand. I will order the stronger magnets mentioned and give it a try. Not sure if it will charge through it though

Anyway wonderful mod, thanks again.

dano272

Oct 27, 2009
Visit site

[seems to be working fine for me, never tried it in the car with the touchstone

When you say it's working for you - are you seeing 'AC charging' listed on the battery screen with your touchstone plugged into the wall with this cable?

imomperousse

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
When you say it's working for you - are you seeing 'AC charging' listed on the battery screen with your touchstone plugged into the wall with this cable?

No sorry it does not show AC. It shows USB, but the rate of charge looks to be faster then regular USB charging.

Without touchstone I get about 1% per minute, touchstone seems to go between 2 1/2 minutes to 3 1/2 minutes per every 1%.

Without the charging cable using the touch stone its like 6-9 minutes per 1%.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

tcuthre

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site

I have tried this mod w/o success. I have sauldered to the dock pins themselves after having them sauldered to the shell of the phone where the authors tape goes to without success. I have even replaced the wires with a.thicker gauge to no avail. What am I doing wrong? I can hear the touchstone/coil activate but never get a charge to my phone. I have two different coils and touchstone docks that I have tried. I do not however have a voltmeter, but I'm almost positive the coil is working as I can hear the slight buzzing when placed on touchstone. I'm almost done trying. Any suggestions?

tcuthre

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site

OK so I hooked my pogo dock whatever pins to a USB cable then plugged that into my Samsung wall outlet that came with my gnex and it charged so its the palm stuff that's not working for me. And btw the charge rate from wall into pins says USB so I think that's all we're gonna get outta this mod. Anyways I've got two dif coils two different palm power pucks and neither seem to be working. I'm outta ideas

ohiomoto

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site

A couple of things come to mind. First, you have bad or damaged Palm coils. I've run across one that didn't want to produce 5.6v and I damaged another while removing it. Second, is that maybe you are not getting the coil lined up in the correct location. I think mine is placed a little low and I notice that sometimes I have to move my phone a little to get it to charge.

I think the only way to be sure is to buy an inexpensive voltmeter and test the coils.

tcuthre

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site

Yup. Its the placement of the coil. Damn its very particular about where the coil needs to be on puck. Not sure if I'm gonna be able to get this to work reliably enough. Anyone have issues with coil placement?

ohiomoto

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site

Just make sure the coil is centered between the magnets and it should be fine

dano272

Oct 27, 2009
Visit site

Sounds like you aren't getting the full 5.6v charge for some reason. I recently modded a Nexus S for someone (soldered to the USB port method) and one of the Palm PCBs wouldn't give me more than 4.3v for some reason. Maybe you have a bad PCB or a weak connection.

Here is my phone's output - tested from the pogo leads from the outside - while charging on a touchstone base plugged into the wall with the palm branded cable and charger.

IMG_1435.JPG

I get similar numbers when attached to my touchstone base installed in my car. There I have a car adapter (no-name brand) that gives an AC charge rate when plugged directly into the device.

So...what else could be at play in that I lose charge (about 1% per 10-15 minutes) if I'm on 3G and streaming audio via bluetooth - more if I'm on 4G. This is with the screen mostly off as well.

Any thoughts? Anything to try?

barchamb

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site

Just finished this mod tonight and wanted to share my thoughts. First, thank you very much ohiomoto for posting this. I would not have dared to try this without the links, pictures, and explanations you've posted.

As for parts, I bought 3 Touchstones (one for home, one for work, and one for the car), and 1 Pre back from the links in the OP. I did not use the link for the magnets in the OP, because they wanted like $16 shipping for 5 little magnets. No way. I ended up searching eBay for "N52 magnets" and found a place in the UK that was selling 20 of a similar size to the ones listed in the OP for under $10 including shipping from the UK. They are N40 instead of N52, so we'll see if they are strong enough for the car mount.

As for the copper tape, I noticed that a lot of the sources listed in these posts mention guitar uses. I have a friend who works for L.R. Baggs, so I asked him if they have any adhesive copper tape there. He said "yes, lots of it", so I asked if I could buy like 2 feet from him, and he just gave me some.

The install was pretty much how ohiomoto and others described it. I had no trouble getting the phone apart with a few guitar picks and some patience. The internal copper tape install went without issue. As suggested by ohiomoto and others, I did not install the tape with the adhesive side down on the internal gold connectors, but instead folded it over in case I ever wanted to use the pogo pins. After snapping the screen back together, I verified my tape was working by removing the battery, then plugging a USB charger into the phone, then putting my meter probes on the pogo pins to make sure there was 5.6v, then putting the meter probes on the tape in the battery cavity to make sure there was 5.6v. All was well.

The install of the coil on the battery door also went pretty much as described in the posts here. My only concern was that the coil is pretty flat, but the little circuit board attached to it is raised a bit. I am using the extended battery and door. I was worried that since the battery is a little taller than normal, that it might cause an issue with the coil circuit board. But, after taping the coil in place and snapping the door back on, I could not see any issue. There is a nice space right above the battery that looks like a much better fit for the coil circuit board, but installing the coil upside down like that would make routing the copper tape much more difficult and I was not ready to try that. If I end up having issues, or the circuit board ends up getting crushed or damaged, I guess I'll have to look into that. For now, I cannot tell the difference between how my phone was without the coil install vs. with the coil installed.

Once I got everything back together, I put it on the Touchstone and it would not charge. I pulled the door off and verified again with my meter that the coil circuit board, and the copper tape attached to it had 5.6v. I also re-verified that my pogo pins and copper tape attached to them had 5.6v (with the battery and door removed). So, that only left the connection between the copper tape on the inside and the copper tape on the door. My guess was that even with the little bit of foam from the Pre back, that the copper wasn't being pushed up enough to make contact with the copper on the door. So, I simply added a couple more layers of little bits of copper tape to the tape on the door, adding the bits underneath the tape that was already there so that the non-adhesive side was not covered. I put it all back together again, and viola! This time it worked! Phew...

Now, so far the posts in this thread have said it takes up to 10 seconds to start charging. I've tried two of my touchstones so far (the magnets have not arrived yet, so I haven't setup the car one), and in both cases, it starts charging almost immediately when I put the phone on the touchstone. I have no idea why mine would be any different from anyone else's, but there ya go.

Thank again to ohiomoto and the others that paved the way for this mod. I returned my $40 Verizon POS car dock, and my $20 eBay lame-o desktop dock, and for about $30 in parts, I now have 3 super cool chargers. Yay for the internet.

I also ordered some NFC tags, and will be putting them on my touchstones so that when I place the phone on them, they will do things like auto load the clock or car home, turn off WiFi, etc. I'll let you know how that goes once my tags come in...

Reactions: ohiomoto

CBMC

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Now, so far the posts in this thread have said it takes up to 10 seconds to start charging. I've tried two of my touchstones so far (the magnets have not arrived yet, so I haven't setup the car one), and in both cases, it starts charging almost immediately when I put the phone on the touchstone. I have no idea why mine would be any different from anyone else's, but there ya go.
I have a couple touchstones. Both take about 12 seconds to start charging. I wonder if it is something in the coil? I only have one coil. Maybe I will buy another coil and see if it starts charging any faster.

imomperousse

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
I have a couple touchstones. Both take about 12 seconds to start charging. I wonder if it is something in the coil? I only have one coil. Maybe I will buy another coil and see if it starts charging any faster.

Takes like 2 secs for mine to start.

ohiomoto

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site

Here is my phone's output - tested from the pogo leads from the outside - while charging on a touchstone base plugged into the wall with the palm branded cable and charger.

Click to view quoted image

I get similar numbers when attached to my touchstone base installed in my car. There I have a car adapter (no-name brand) that gives an AC charge rate when plugged directly into the device.

So...what else could be at play in that I lose charge (about 1% per 10-15 minutes) if I'm on 3G and streaming audio via bluetooth - more if I'm on 4G. This is with the screen mostly off as well.

7.5v at the pins??? How did you get that much out of the Touchstone?

I'm not sure why your loosing charge. The only thing I can think of is that you are not getting full contact between the pins on the board and the copper tape.

LabRat

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site

It has to do with current not voltage.

ellesshoo

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site

I don't think its your coil. I have applied power to the contacts using pogo pins as well and the delay is the same. I have a GSM nexus running AOKP (4.0.3 based). I tried the contacts on my wife's totally stock LTE nexus and it charges instantly. I put my GSM nexus back to stock and it charged instantly. I rerooted and flashed AOKP again and again a delay before charging. I think the delay may be software based.

Reactions: ohiomoto